All things Books and Reading thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When using the Kindle app on my Nook, how do I put a book into a collection and have it disappear from my Kindle Home screen? In the Kindle app, I have created a Collection called "Books I've Read". And then after reading a book, I click on it, go up to the + at the top right-hand corner and click on that and then I add it to that collection. But I'd like the book to disappear from the Home screen because I'm getting to the point where I keep clicking on the same books, only to realize that I've already read them. I don't want to delete them from my Nook, although if I did, they'd still be in the Amazon cloud, right? I don't have many books on the Kindle app, but I am getting close to 800 and it's starting to get confusing.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say and somebody can help me. Thank you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You have googled this, right? Although, in my case, the problem is figuring out the right question to ask!

Reading "Cat Deck the Halls." I should finish it sometime tonight or early tomorrow.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I don't know; I think I answered my own question. If the books are on the carousel, I can move them into collections and then delete them from the carousel. I think I was trying to not show them in the cloud and I can understand why that can't be done. What I should do is put all the books on the carousel, then put the ones I've read into that Book's I've Read collection, then delete that book from the carousel. And just peruse the carousel for reading material instead of the Cloud. But I think the carousel can only hold so many books because there are only about 30 or so books there....the rest of them are in the Cloud.

It's gotten to the point where I'm getting more books and getting more free books from Amazon for the Kindle app than I ever do from B & N for the Nook itself. I guess that as long as the Kindle app is OK, it's fine to do that. I probably should have gotten a Kindle and been done with it. This works OK, though, so all is good.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
On my iPad:
The Perfect Poison - Amanda Quick
The Affair (Jack Reacher) - Lee Child
Die Again - Tess Gerritsen

On my Nook:
Beautiful Storm (Lightning Strikes Book 1) - Barbara Freethy
A Cat to Die For - Maria Grazia Swan
The Gossiping Gourmet - Martin Brown
The Serenity Stone Murder - Marianne Jones

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey, Winchester Winchester . If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I usually choose the book to read from the library tab on my Nook HD+, and the docs app on the Fire. I have 6 or 7 that I am reading regularly and 10 or so that I read a few pages a month. It is nice having two different types of tablet/e-reader.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I finished "Cat Deck the Halls, and am on to "Cat Playing Cupid." At this rate, I'll have read all of my Joe Greys by the beginning of the week, but HOPEFULLY, I'll have ordered "Cat Shining Bright" by then!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am currently reading:
Harry Potter #6
Hilda the Wicked Witch #15
The Spellsinger #5
Honorverse #20?
The Stand
Perry Rhodan #70
and NPR news and USA Today

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
catspaw66 catspaw66 are you talking about the series Spellsinger by Alan Dean Foster? If so, I read them many years ago when my son had them. When he moved out, he took the books with him. I found a set at a yard sale several years ago and read them again. But then my son somehow lost his books, came home, found out that I bought the set, and took them, too. It's a good series. Mudge, the otter, is hilarious.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first got my e-reader, I downloaded a ton of freebies. My only complaint was that a lot of books were "first in a series" and the next books weren't free, or in most cases even available.

So now I mostly borrow e-books from the library. The only problem with them, is the long waits for best sellers, and the borrowing limit of 3 weeks only. But there's so many to choose from, I always have something to read.
There's one author that I really like, just getting started. Her email address was included in her books, so I wrote her a fan letter that included a detailed list of typos (every author needs a proofreader, and beginning authors can't afford them). The result was that I ended up on her Beta-readers list -- I get the books before they're published, in return for which I read them and tell her about typos, and provide reviews on B&N and Amazon (mentioning that I received a free copy in return for an honest review). Lately, I haven't had the time to keep up my end of this bargain, so I have regretfully asked her to take me off of that list, but we still exchange emails, and I can get back on the list whenever I think I'll have adequate time to hold up my end.

The author's name is Krista Walsh, by the way. Highly recommended if you're into fantasy.

When using the Kindle app on my Nook, how do I put a book into a collection and have it disappear from my Kindle Home screen? In the Kindle app, I have created a Collection called "Books I've Read". And then after reading a book, I click on it, go up to the + at the top right-hand corner and click on that and then I add it to that collection. But I'd like the book to disappear from the Home screen because I'm getting to the point where I keep clicking on the same books, only to realize that I've already read them. I don't want to delete them from my Nook, although if I did, they'd still be in the Amazon cloud, right? I don't have many books on the Kindle app, but I am getting close to 800 and it's starting to get confusing.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say and somebody can help me. Thank you.
In the Kindle app on a PC, you would right-click on a book and then select "Remove from device." On a smartphone you would hold your finger on the book until an "X" appears, and you would touch that. Either way, if you have it set to display "All" books it will still show up in the list, and "Show All" seems to be the default, so you may need to change it every time you bring up the app.

You may also find it useful to have your library displayed by "Most recent" rather than by title or author.

I've no idea how Kindle Collections work; I assume they're something like "Bookshelves" on the Nook?

Margret

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thank you, Margret! I think my problem was that I was nosing about in the Cloud and you can't move stuff around that easily there. Once I get stuff on the carousel, it's easier to move books into collections (which, yes, are like Bookshelves on the Nook). That "most recent" is a good idea, too. Thanks!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
catspaw66 catspaw66 are you talking about the series Spellsinger by Alan Dean Foster? If so, I read them many years ago when my son had them. When he moved out, he took the books with him. I found a set at a yard sale several years ago and read them again. But then my son somehow lost his books, came home, found out that I bought the set, and took them, too. It's a good series. Mudge, the otter, is hilarious.
Yes, it is. I bought the 8 book set from Amazon. Everybody likes Mudge. I sometimes use his blue-eyed bandicoot references. He may be the inspiration for Rocket in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Next set to buy is the Flinx and Pip series.

He also wrote "Splinter of the Mind's Eye", a sequel to the first Star Wars movie, that is better than the second movie.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just ran down the check book (that sucker was a block away ;)) and I can pre-order Cat Shining Bright today! O JOY O BLISS!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I borrow audio books and listen to them while I am working. I just finished one that I really like and stuck with me, it isn't on any list or talked about anywhere I just picked it out of the available titles on the library site. It's called Devil in the Grove by Gilbert King. It is about Thurgood Marshall's longest running criminal case when he was working for the NAACP. It brings in a lot of detail about the old Jim Crow South and about Thurgood Marshall's life. It sounds like it would be really dry but it was actually very good. It is long, the audio ran a little over 17 hours.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On a long flight, I bought a book at the airport called Before I Go To Sleep. It's a good suspense novel that kept my interest during the whole trip, and until I finished it back home. It's about a woman with a rare type of amnesia that causes her to forget everything that has happened when she wakes up each morning. She doesn't recognize her home, her husband, even her personal items. She finds her journal in the closet and knows the man she woke up with really is her husband, and that she has had to write down the day's events for a long time because of her condition. It's a great psychological thriller that keeps you guessing.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I've now read all of the Joe Grey Mysteries to date. The new books haven't come in, and I'm FINALLY getting to re-read an old favorite, "In This House of Brede," by Rumer Godden. She was a favorite author years and years...ok, all right, decades and decades ago, and I'm still entranced by this book. Hopefully, some of the books on order will start coming in on Tuesday.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On a long flight, I bought a book at the airport called Before I Go To Sleep. It's a good suspense novel that kept my interest during the whole trip, and until I finished it back home. It's about a woman with a rare type of amnesia that causes her to forget everything that has happened when she wakes up each morning. She doesn't recognize her home, her husband, even her personal items. She finds her journal in the closet and knows the man she woke up with really is her husband, and that she has had to write down the day's events for a long time because of her condition. It's a great psychological thriller that keeps you guessing.
That sounds really good. I've just put the e-book on hold at my library.

Status
Not open for further replies.