All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I did start on "Communion," got about 20 pages in, and as most of you know, promptly had a stroke. No, the book did not cause it, I'm made of sterner stuff than that. HOWEVER...my concentration is shot, so I've abandoned it for now and am re-reading the "Black Cat Bookshop" cozy series. Easy, lighthearted, and just what I need until I'm more myself again.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just finished The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah. It's one of the few books I've read set in the USA during the depression, so it was interesting, albeit possibly a bit unrealistic with everything that happened to the family.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I just finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. It’s set in the early-to-mid ‘40s and in 1986. The main character is a young Chinese boy who becomes friends with a young Japanese girl in Seattle during WW2. If you’re familiar with the history of Americans of Japanese descent during the war, you’ll have an idea of what happens although that’s not the main part of the book. I recommend it. It would be a good book club selection.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm reading "Literally Murder," the next Black Cat Bookshop Mystery offering. It really is a good "recovery" series. Fun, fast-paced but not too twisty, and doesn't require much concentration. I can just go along for the ride and enjoy!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. It’s set in the early-to-mid ‘40s and in 1986. The main character is a young Chinese boy who becomes friends with a young Japanese girl in Seattle during WW2. If you’re familiar with the history of Americans of Japanese descent during the war, you’ll have an idea of what happens although that’s not the main part of the book. I recommend it. It would be a good book club selection.
Oh, that sounds really good. My library has the e-book, so I'll put it on my wish list.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Feel the need to visit old friends so I'm reading Killing Me Softly by Nicci French, last October's bom.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Completely by accident, I picked another book set during a shameful period in American history. The Book of Lost Friends by Lisa Wingate takes place both in 1875, shortly after the end of the U.S. Civil War, and in the mid-1980s. It’s set in Louisiana and Texas. Like Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, the past haunts the future. Again, a very good book and a good pick for a book club. I also just finished reading about the Tulsa massacre in the June issue of National Geographic, and I’m feeling a bit pessimistic about the human race. I’ll save any further comments for an IMO thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.