All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think I'm turning into a Cozy Mystery fan, or something like that, as I've just finished the 3rd book - Corpse in the Carnations - in the
Lovely Lethal Gardens Series And I think I'm going to start Dagger in the Dahlias next.

These will never top my list of favourite books, and definitely require you to suspend your sense of reality, but that's ok, as it's nice to get a break from the real world now and then. Still wish either the author, or editor, would remember that the books take place in Canada, as she recently had the main character referring to something being a mile from home, when most likely a 30-something Canadian would be have referred to it as a kilometre. Picky, I know, but those little things annoy me. :hmmm:

After I finish Dagger in the Dahlias, I'll probably start our Oct book of the month book - Killing Me Softly by Nikki French, so I can finish it in time for our discussion later in the month.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm still reading The Godfather. I just made it to the halfway point. I logged into Encore
and One by one by Ruth Ware is waiting for me at the drive thru!! I may put The Godfather
aside and start it.

I also have Rage but I'm really no that interested in reading it at this point in time. I do want to
read Disloyal but they don't it in hard copy yet.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 , Amazon has Disloyal in hard copy, if you are interested in buying it. I have it (well, one of the list of neighbors who wanted to borrow it actually "has" it, but still...I'll get it back), and am planning on getting "Rage" this month. In fact, I may order it tonight.

I finished "Every Living Thing" by James Herriot. I had never actually read this one, and LOVED IT! I'll be starting "Killing Me Softly" later tonight.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand" and loving it. So nice in these turbulent times to read a proper English love story. I'll start "Killing Me Softly" Thursday even if not done with the Major.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 , Amazon has Disloyal in hard copy, if you are interested in buying it. I have it (well, one of the list of neighbors who wanted to borrow it actually "has" it, but still...I'll get it back), and am planning on getting "Rage" this month. In fact, I may order it tonight.

I finished "Every Living Thing" by James Herriot. I had never actually read this one, and LOVED IT! I'll be starting "Killing Me Softly" later tonight.
Thank you but I'll have to wait for the library book. Needed to buy a new pair of sweat pants and foot balm
so that blew my budget, hee, hee

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dark Corner (Witch Cat Mystery #2) by Vicki Vass
Dark Corner
Evil has awoken in Asheville, North Carolina, and Terra Rowan must prepare the Ladies of the Biltmore Society for battle. With her familiar, Pixel, a crooked leg fluffy orange cat, and her apprentice Abigail Oakhaven, a stubborn teenage girl with a bloodline dating back to the beginning of time, she begins their journey. The witch hunters have come to the Appalachian Mountains in search of the last witch of Salem. The magic of the mountains can no longer protect her and her coven. She must travel to the one place on earth that holds the secret to save mankind – Dark Corner.
Combining elements from different cultures, Appalachian folklore, Celtic legends, Native American mysticism, Dark Corner continues its new witch mythology while staying true to the realm of cozy mystery.
Terra Rowan is a witch trapped between worlds and lost in time.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
'm six chapters in on "Killing Me Softly.'' PS...this is NOT a "cozy" book! But good, so far.
Yes, it is certainly not a cozy book but it's a page turner. The first time I read it was in one sitting
as I had to know the ending!! The uncoziness of it is more implied except in some parts. I can't
understand why Nicci French (actually a British husband and wife who write under one name),
allowed the film to be so very different than the book.

About 50 more pages left of The Godfather, then onto One by One by Ruth Ware.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I finished Tokyo Ueno Station by Yu Miri this morning right as I got off the train. It was a good story, though very sad. I almost teared up a few times. Having been to Ueno Park (and station) a few times, it was even more compelling. It's about an elderly homeless man's life.

Japanese authors tend to be long-winded about minute things which give a lot of the books I've read a sort of "aesthetic" and flat feeling. Which I like, but could be off-putting to people who want stuff to happen. I don't mind floating in a story for a while as it drains out of the tub, so to speak.
--
I've got two more books lined up. The one I've started seems like it's going to be the typical "guy must avenge love of life" storyline, but it takes place in Taipei and I've never been there, so I'm interested to read about it. The other is another Japanese writer. I've read one of her other books and liked it, so I'm hoping this new one is also good. Will post about them when I finish them! I need to still read 17 more books before the year is finished 😭

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yesterday I read The Curse of Hollister House (Cat in the Attic #1) by Kathi Daley and liked it enough to download the second book in the series, The Mystery Before Christmas.
SO...one big question before I add this to the ever-growing list...does the cat play a major part?

Still reading "Killing Me Softly." Goodness...I kinda know where this is going now, but I HAVE to keep reading. One of those.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely will be starting our Oct book club book - Killing Me Softly
It's a quick read because you won't be able to put it down...you must know how it ends!!

Finally finished The Godfather..will try to start One by one by Ruth Ware. I love all her book but my
fave of hers is in a dark, dark wood. One by one takes place in The French Alps where employees
of a company get stuck during an avalanche and someone is up to no good!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
SO...one big question before I add this to the ever-growing list...does the cat play a major part?
Alastair, the "cat in the attic", is the protagonist's sounding board. She has her home office up there and likes to tell him her latest theories or talk about her feelings while she cuddles with him. He puts in a "meow" or two, but isn't actively involved in any investigations. She volunteers at the local animal shelter two afternoons a week, but mainly works with the dogs there together with her romantic interest, a cop she grew up with. They discuss his cases and whatever articles she's in the process of writing.

I've downloaded the last three books in the series and am almost finished #3, The Case of the Cupid Caper. I enjoy the characters in the books, and the plots aren't far-fetched.

Status
Not open for further replies.