All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure what's going on with my library and e-books, but this year they seem to be slow getting new ones. I just checked and both The Water Dancer, and Inside Out are available (or on order) for actual books, but not e-books. :mad:

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a bit upset right now. I checked out an e-book and it was really good. But it ended on a bit of a cliffhanger. A quick Google search reveled that the book is the first one in a series and the e-book library I use doesn't have the next book, nor does my local library.:mad::fuming::gaah::frustrated:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm a bit upset right now. I checked out an e-book and it was really good. But it ended on a bit of a cliffhanger. A quick Google search reveled that the book is the first one in a series and the e-book library I use doesn't have the next book, nor does my local library.:mad::fuming::gaah::frustrated:
How maddening. :mad: Maybe keep an eye on, or sign up to, BookBub and maybe it'll show up there. :crossfingers:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Amazon's Kindle?

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just checked, and my library doesn't have "The Water Dancer", the new Oprah book club selection yet, but it's just being released today, so they'll probably get it soon. Wonder if Oprah still has the power to sell a product? If so, hope the publisher has the ability to keep up with the demand.
Ours says it is on order and I am second in line. My library is pretty good about getting books and getting them out quickly.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been indulging in cozy mystery series. I finished the H.Y. Hanna English Cottage Garden one and am almost through Fiona Snycker's Cat's Paw Cozy Mysteries
Ah, SPIT, jcat jcat ! Now I have to go look at the "Cat's Paw" series, and PROBABLY add it to the list of over 1600 "to read" books.

Um...what am I reading? One of the Cook Book Nook books...OH YEAH! "Fudging the Books!" Fun mysteries, I really like the characters, and I LOVE the recipes!

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is when Kindle has me! If I've read something that has another book and my library doesn't have it or does but I can't get it immediately - I download it. I don't overall buy a lot of books. This is really my only bad habit so I count myself lucky!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm almost done with Final Girls and I must say, when I was locking up last night, I took a bag of rubbish out and got a little scared. The book is sooo good but if you're on of those afraid-to-be-in-a-dark forest-type-of-person and you're going camping or staying in a remote cottage, I would read this book after my trip.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Today is October 1st, so that mean our BOOK CLUB is officially underway. :bunnydance:

This month's book is All She Ever Wanted by Lynn Austin

We are going to have separate threads for our monthly book club discussions. Here's the link to the October thread: Book Of The Month Club - October 2019

As we won't begin discussing the book until October 22, there's still plenty of time to join in. Everyone's welcome!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I've been reading some of Amazon Kindle's free books and I have to say that they're pretty darn crappy. I finished the Haunting at the Sebring Hotel and I would believe it was written by somebody in high school and that might be too mature. I would have been very upset had I had to pay for this book.

Other books:
The Night Visitors - Carol Goodman
A Vineyard Summer - Jean Stone
The Perfect Girlfriend - Karen Hamilton
Never Look Back - Alison Gaylin
The Plot is Murder - V.M. Burns
Never Have I Ever - Joshilyn Jackson

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Saw this and thought some could relate:
View attachment 301913
I'm about 28 times the limit, then...and I ONLY keep the ones I'd like to re-read!

Still working on The Cook Book Nook series. And enjoying it. GOOD recipes, FUN cat, a touch of the paranormal. My One Stop Cozy Mystery Genre Shopping Spot.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bookbub had Dead Men Do Tell Tales for $1.99 today. It was written by Dr. William Maples, forensic pathologist genius and professor at UF in Gainesville.

I know Dr Maples personally, as I did the State Property inventory for his office and lab and "lab." Referring to the small body farm behind his building screened with a 10 foot wooden fence. Very few people knew it was there. This was for the C.A. Pound Human ID Lab. He was the top forensic pathologist east of the Rockies. He was in demand by FBI, NTSB, FAA and so on.

Dr. Maples was a Gentleman in all meanings. He always greeted me with a handshake and a smile. Unassuming looking, until he started talking and my mouth almost dropped.

I just started the book. I may be in there (disguised). I will let all y'all know.

Status
Not open for further replies.