Air Purifiers and Litter Dust

Deex2

2 Boys & A Girl
Young Cat
Purraise
For those of you who use or used clumping cat litter, will an air purifier help suck up/in the dust while scooping/clearing the box?

If you have used one, that is reasonably priced, that you like would you please provide me with the name/model any info to where i could check it out, please.

If there is another type of device that might help suck up the dust, other then standing there with a vacuum hose, please also let me know.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
For those of you who use or used clumping cat litter, will an air purifier help suck up/in the dust while scooping/clearing the box?

If you have used one, that is reasonably priced, that you like would you please provide me with the name/model any info to where i could check it out, please.

If there is another type of device that might help suck up the dust, other then standing there with a vacuum hose, please also let me know.
I do not think that an air purifier’s will do the job as you need the air purifier very close to the litterbox and even that may not do the job.

The only thing is to scoop more gently without stirring up the dust. I wore a mask each time I scoop the litterbox when my boy was using Bentonite Clay clumping litter which was very dusty and it tracks the litter and dust all over the house.
Eventually, I switched my boy over to Tofu Cat Litter and am I glad I did it for him.

Here is a documentation of the transition for my boy. You may consider switching litter for your cat if you are using Bentonite Clay clumping litter :-

A Documentation on the Transition from Clay Litter to Tofu Cat Litter for my boy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Deex2

2 Boys & A Girl
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response.
So you don't know, as you don't have an air purifier?!
***Not interested in non-clumping litter however I will consider non-clay. The one you mentioned seems to be a subscription and not sure if it is clumping.

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks for your response.
So you don't know, as you don't have an air purifier?!
***Not interested in non-clumping litter however I will consider non-clay. The one you mentioned seems to be a subscription and not sure if it is clumping.
Haha……………I have 3 air purifiers in my home and they do not suck up the litter dust.

The litter is clumping and non clay and I have wonderful results with it.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi D Deex2
Me too ,like tabbytom tabbytom the air purifiers (I tried many- $$$$) - they do nothing for litter dust ( or anything else imo)

However,I really like clay clumping litter and quite some time ago a friend told me to try Cats Pride Max( blue jug) as she claimed it was practically dust free- she was right & I've been using it ever since- unscented and everyone always comments on how you'd never know I have cats because there's never any litter smell( 5 cats)

Not so sure about it being the litter because I do scoop all day BUT when I scoop I do notice it is a signifantly less " smelly " job than it was with other products..... not bad price either ( about $9 for 15 lb jug)

2ShortTails

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I made the switch to kiln dried wood pellets and a litter system. I know this may not be everyones cup of tea but it solved the dust problem. I was able to transition a lifetime clumping using 14 year young cat over to it at the time i tried this system for myself. He accepted it with some transitioning. When i lost him i adopted two 4 month old kittens six months later and they immediately took the pellets after being in clay based littler, without any transition. The short story of this is it's easy to clean, a healthier litter, NO dust and very economical. I don't have litter being tracked all over my home either. Sometimes a few pellets will get kicked out while in use but that's a very quick pick up vs litter being carried everywhere. Hopefully the video will show up in my post and it's acceptable to do so. I have two cats and 4 litter boxes and a large bag of kiln dried pellets for under $10. The bonus is I'll use some spent litter outside (mixed into my mulch) to keep rabits away from chewing up my mini rose bushes and the deer away from hostas. This may not be what you seek for a solution but it was the answer to mine. As for smell....the wood pellets quickly pull the moisture out of the feces, though I'm one to clean that up immediately (i clean boxes several times a day). There's no cat smell in our home but with the array of climbers, cat shelves and toys, it's impossible to overlook we have them and 99% of the time they're in view. Having said that, i do have a litter box in my livingroom and this system has worked well and kept our home cleaner all the way around. Hopefully you find what works best for you. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
**Not interested in non-clumping litter however I will consider non-clay.
In my experience, it's clay or nothing for clumping.

Use a combination of clay litter and some other material. You get the clumping with the clay, and there are a lot of other litters, some expensive some not, that will help cut the dust. It's up to you.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use corn litter that clumps pretty well and I don't worry too much about the dust since it's not clay based. I agree with others though that purifiers didn't work in our house. We actually stopped using ours. For us, we just vacuum a lot and wipe things down. Cat litter is also inside a cabinet.

Deex2

2 Boys & A Girl
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi D Deex2
Me too ,like tabbytom tabbytom the air purifiers (I tried many- $$$$) - they do nothing for litter dust ( or anything else imo)

However,I really like clay clumping litter and quite some time ago a friend told me to try Cats Pride Max( blue jug) as she claimed it was practically dust free- she was right & I've been using it ever since- unscented and everyone always comments on how you'd never know I have cats because there's never any litter smell( 5 cats)

Not so sure about it being the litter because I do scoop all day BUT when I scoop I do notice it is a signifantly less " smelly " job than it was with other products..... not bad price either ( about $9 for 15 lb jug)
1708288399719.png
This one???

Deex2

2 Boys & A Girl
Young Cat
Purraise
In my experience, it's clay or nothing for clumping.

Use a combination of clay litter and some other material. You get the clumping with the clay, and there are a lot of other litters, some expensive some not, that will help cut the dust. It's up to you.
Which other ones that you have or do use that you would recommend?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Which other ones that you have or do use
I currently have Tidy Cats Free and Clean, ScoopAway from Costco, SoPhresh from Petco's discount scoop bin, Arm N Hammer SuperScoop, and a brand that I'm going to try called SmartCat by Pioneer Pet.

I don't recall what prompted me to start combining litters in order to help decrease the dustiness, but my favorite that isn't made any longer was Littermaid corncob. When I couldn't get that any longer I hunted around and discovered that grass seed does as well. It isn't inexpensive, but it doesn't require a lot so a bag lasts quite a while.

Last edited:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does dust get kicked up when your cat(s) cover their business, or when you scoop etc to clean?
A bit, but mostly stays in the cabinet. Except what comes out on their fur. We have a black kitten who comes out covered. But she's also an excessive digger.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Except what comes out on their fur. We have a black kitten who comes out covered. But she's also an excessive digger.
Not to hijack the thread, but can you groom them so they're not ingesting the dust when they groom themselves? Or find a litter you can add, such as a grass seed litter, that helps cut the dust? My Captain starts sneezing when he inhales too much litter dust, so I have to be really careful about that :)

Deex2

2 Boys & A Girl
Young Cat
Purraise
I currently have Tidy Cats Free and Clean, ScoopAway from Costco, SoPhresh from Petco's discount scoop bin, Arm N Hammer SuperScoop, and a brand that I'm going to try called SmartCat by Pioneer Pet.

I don't recall what prompted me to start combining litters in order to help decrease the dustiness, but my favorite that isn't made any longer was Littermaid corncob. When I couldn't get that any longer I hunted around and discovered that grass seed does as well. It isn't inexpensive, but it doesn't require a lot so a bag lasts quite a while.
one thing that concerns me about grass seed (although i haven't physically seen it) is that it would get stuck to the cats paws and really be tracked around the house.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I made the switch to kiln dried wood pellets and a litter system. I know this may not be everyones cup of tea but it solved the dust problem. I was able to transition a lifetime clumping using 14 year young cat over to it at the time i tried this system for myself. He accepted it with some transitioning. When i lost him i adopted two 4 month old kittens six months later and they immediately took the pellets after being in clay based littler, without any transition. The short story of this is it's easy to clean, a healthier litter, NO dust and very economical. I don't have litter being tracked all over my home either. Sometimes a few pellets will get kicked out while in use but that's a very quick pick up vs litter being carried everywhere. Hopefully the video will show up in my post and it's acceptable to do so. I have two cats and 4 litter boxes and a large bag of kiln dried pellets for under $10. The bonus is I'll use some spent litter outside (mixed into my mulch) to keep rabits away from chewing up my mini rose bushes and the deer away from hostas. This may not be what you seek for a solution but it was the answer to mine. As for smell....the wood pellets quickly pull the moisture out of the feces, though I'm one to clean that up immediately (i clean boxes several times a day). There's no cat smell in our home but with the array of climbers, cat shelves and toys, it's impossible to overlook we have them and 99% of the time they're in view. Having said that, i do have a litter box in my livingroom and this system has worked well and kept our home cleaner all the way around. Hopefully you find what works best for you. :)
I really REALLY like this idea. Do you find the cats bother the pellets or try to eat them? Do the pellets seem hard on their paws?