Agitation after general anesthesia earlier today

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After evaluating Willy's current behavior, mood, and bathroom usage, I opted to discontinue buprenorphine altogether. The last dose he had was Sunday morning (so approaching 36 hours ago).

He just had a huge bowel movement, and he's been urinating normally, as well as playing and running around. And he is sleeping in his usual spots again -- for a while, he was glued to my lap and would ONLY rest on me. He is still a lap cat, but the fact that he is embracing all of his territory again rather than staying glued to me 24/7 seems like a good sign, like he is feeling fully comfortable again.

Of course, any further comments or questions about Willy's surgery recovery or his urinary troubles are welcomed here, but I'm going to move back to my main thread for further updates regarding his health and upcoming treatment. (Hopefully I will get biopsy results back this week.)

Edit: I forgot to mention that I did give him some Mirilax last night.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is just a follow-up post to one of the unanswered questions in this thread, which is "was the Simbadol a mistake or intentional?"

To anyone new reading this, this is a tangential thread to Willy's main cancer thread, to which I am going to self-indulgently link again here, just in case anybody reading this is brand new and hasn't seen it yet.

My vet deliberately sent Willy home with Simbadol. Her reasoning was that she does not normally treat urinary blockages in an outpatient basis like she did for me, and wanted to err on the side of caution in terms of providing Willy with adequate pain management. She told me that she would rather have had Willy be very sedated and pain-free in this circumstance than having inadequate pain management, which possibly would have led to him further avoiding peeing on his own, leading to further complications and a potential emergency situation.

My financial situation, which was what led to this outpatient catheterization even being on the table, might have been a factor in deciding what drugs to send home with me and Willy. I don't know for sure, but that's what it feels like.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
This is just a follow-up post to one of the unanswered questions in this thread, which is "was the Simbadol a mistake or intentional?"

To anyone new reading this, this is a tangential thread to Willy's main cancer thread, to which I am going to self-indulgently link again here, just in case anybody reading this is brand new and hasn't seen it yet.

My vet deliberately sent Willy home with Simbadol. Her reasoning was that she does not normally treat urinary blockages in an outpatient basis like she did for me, and wanted to err on the side of caution in terms of providing Willy with adequate pain management. She told me that she would rather have had Willy be very sedated and pain-free in this circumstance than having inadequate pain management, which possibly would have led to him further avoiding peeing on his own, leading to further complications and a potential emergency situation.

My financial situation, which was what led to this outpatient catheterization even being on the table, might have been a factor in deciding what drugs to send home with me and Willy. I don't know for sure, but that's what it feels like.
My Vet would do the same for me ,I've been in similar situations... I think she did what was in Willie's best interest and in consideration of your position $

When Timmy got hurt recently I called and my Vet was not in,the Vet there that day is fairly new,she does not know me or any of my 5cats and would not prescribe pain medication... " bring him in" was her response which in turn I replied " Call my Vet and have someone call me when the Rx is ready to be picked up"!I had just finished explaining to her that had he not been " feral" I would not be calling,I'd be there with the cat

Prescribing pain meds for animals is not much different than it is with humans,it's a great responsibility in which there is a potential for liability and legal ramifications.... you can imagine the things some folks would do to get a hold of drugs.....all the more reason to have our healthy pets seen regularly by a Vet imo

From what you've shared about Willie's Vet I believe she's a wonderful DMV

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are fortunate to have a vet that takes your cat’s feelings into consideration. So many discard any concern about the cat’s pain level. I think you have a good vet.
Agreed. And I think it's a big compliment to cmshap cmshap as an owner, as the vet obviously knew Willy would be carefully monitored.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
What time is Willie's appt? Anxious to hear what the oncologist says------ Love love love to Willie❤

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope all goes well with Wille. My cat had the transdermal buprenorphine after dental surgery. She did not poop or sleep for 4 days when it wore off. She did pee, but it would be like every 13-16 hours, so it slowed down her sensation to pee and poop, but she was also hyperactive and paranoid and did not close her eyes for nearly 4 days. That stuff is powerful! My cat was not in pain. She ate hyperactively/nervously as well all during that time. Wishing you the best for Willie!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She did pee, but it would be like every 13-16 hours, so it slowed down her sensation to pee and poop, but she was also hyperactive and paranoid and did not close her eyes for nearly 4 days. That stuff is powerful! My cat was not in pain. She ate hyperactively/nervously as well all during that time. Wishing you the best for Willie!
Thank you for your story. Willy is over the episode that started this thread (his current cancer treatment thread is here), but it is helpful to know what other cats have gone through in these situations.

It did take Willy about 3 full days after his surgery to fully go back to normal.

An interesting aspect I haven't mentioned yet in this thread is that my vet told me (and my veterinary oncologist today confirmed) that cats actually don't experience nearly the same amount of constipation from opioids that humans (and some other mammals) do. Potential constipation from buprenorphine was a factor I mentioned in this thread, but apparently cats are much more resilient against those side effects than we are.

Just an interesting thing, as I was worried about continuing buprenorphine due to constipation, while still wanting to manage Willy's pain, but I maybe could have worried a little bit less about constipation at the time (or if I do it all over again).