Aggressive To Kittens?

Blue19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had a litter of kittens 12 weeks ago. I got mum neutered about 10days ago and was advised by the vet to separate the kittens and mum for a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the neutering so her milk would dry up. As the kittens were eating solids and not relying so much on mum, I separated them when I thought was best. I tried bringing her back into the room at least once a day so she could still see her kittens (not after the op)
Mum cat has always sat outside the door of the kittens, like she was guarding the room. Sniffing under the door etc.
It has been 10days now since the operation so slowly have started reintroducing her back to the kittens as I have decided to keep 2. At first she seemed to attack them, I let it slide thinking she is showing them she is the boss. But I think she is getting more aggressive, it doesn't look playful now. Plus she has gone for me 3 times, which she has never done! Even when she was a kitten, she never really scratched or bit anyone.
I'm not sure what to do now, do I keep trying to slowly reintroduce them? I don't want to any stress causes to either mum or the kittens. Can someone please advise me?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. It sounds like maybe Mum cat doesn't recognize her kittens any longer.

How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats | TheCatSite

Since you're keeping the kittens, probably best to keep them separated from Mum cat, and do a slow re-introduction. This TCS article may have some tips for you. How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

There's also: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite and Introducing Cats To Cats | TheCatSite. Plus The Multi-cat Household | TheCatSite

And a few on aggressive behaviour:
Why Do Cats Attack? | TheCatSite
Cat Aggression Toward People | TheCatSite

Good luck. Hopefully there'll be peace in your feline family again soon. :catlove:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes as part of the weaning process mom cats can slap or hiss at their kittens and be pretty aggressive in pushing them away at times. Is your mom cat grooming the kittens at all or just attacking them?