Aggressive newcomer

KrazyForKats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I brought Doodlebug, a male 1 1/2 to 2 year old stray into my home in November. I had him neutered and dewormed. He lived in my finished basement during that process. I’ve been trying unsuccessfully to introduce him to my 2 formerly feral cats, Pixie, a small female, and Charlie, a large male. It’s not going well at all. Every time I let Doodlebug upstairs he attacks Charlie. Pixie runs and hides. Charlie isn’t aggressive, but does growl at Doodlebug. Before bringing Doodlebug upstairs, I switched towels they sleep on and fed them on each side of a glass door where they could see each other. The first time together, Charlie & Doodlebug touched noses, but then Charlie growled and Doodlebug went after him. I separated them and put Doodlebug downstairs. Now, every time Doodlebug comes upstairs he goes for Charlie. One time Doodlebug attacked Charlie and bit and wounded his rear area. It happened so fast I didn’t even know Charlie was hurt until later. My latest ploy has been to halter and leash train Doodlebug so I could control Doodlebug when the cats were together. That seemed to be going well. Doodlebug got used to the halter and leash and I was bringing him upstairs, and even came into the living room twice when Charlie was there and Doodlebug didn’t try to attack him. But yesterday when I had Doodlebug upstairs, he saw Charlie under the bed, got excited, and managed to wiggle out of his harness. I managed to get Doodlebug out from under the bed and out of the room before either one was hurt. I don’t consider Doodlebug feral. I was feeding him outside all summer, and after a couple of months, he let me pet him. I brought him inside when it got cold and because we have coyotes coming into our back yard. He is very affectionate with me and my husband. He never uses his claws or his teeth with us and loves to be petted. I spend plenty of time with him, and our basement is as big as some one bedroom apartments. I feel bad though because he can come up to our entryway and see us upstairs from a glass paneled door. I know he would like to be with us, but we can’t risk the other 2 cats getting hurt. Does anyone have any suggestions about what else we can do to stop his aggressive behavior with the other cats?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would venture to guess you just went through the introduction process too quickly. After all, it's only been just about two months. Adult cats can take months and months just to get to the point of tolerating each other. You also don't know Doodlebug's background, which might be playing a role in his aggressiveness toward your other two cats. Is there any way you can bring Doodlebug upstairs, closer to where everyone else is? It probably also would be helpful to use something other than a glass door - something they can smell each other through.

Until other members come along with specific things that worked for them, you might want to take a look at these TCS articles to see if you can determine how far back in the introduction process you need to go.
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight – TheCatSite Articles
Introducing Cats To Cats – TheCatSite Articles

The second article is probably covered in one of the above listed articles. I agree that you probably need to slow down, not that you did anything wrong, and go back to a more relaxed attempt to integrate Doodlebug...who is adorable. If they could be closer to interacting, it might help as well. Doodlebug looks to me as if he might consider himself the Alpha cat from his posture and appearance. The harness is not a bad idea but many harnesses are easy to get out of with a little effort. You might first try to find another harness that is more escape proof.
Basic Solids H-Style Cat Harness

FRISCO Wrap Cat Harness, S - Girth: 9 - 14-in - Chewy.com

KITTY HOLSTER Cat Harness, Purple, Small/Medium - Chewy.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KrazyForKats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your suggestions. Doodlebug can come upstairs to our entryway From the basement. Any other situation would put him in a much smaller space (Den or bedroom) than he has now. They can smell each other under the door. My biggest concern is how to move to the next step of getting together without Charlie or Doodlebug getting hurt.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use a large 6' tall gate that is easily made. It really helps with introductions and can easily be moved when not in use. Here is a link

Two months is just not long enough at all to introduce cats. It can take months and months.

Have you done any site swapping or scent swapping? I would start to move some of the new cats bedding into the main parts of the house. Start slowly by taking something he sleeps on. Just add it to a room and place a few treats on it. Don't coax the cats to investigate just allow them on their own time. Then take something from your other cats and place it in the new boys space. Same idea, just place it and add a few treats.

You can also do the same thing with a brush. Brush the resident kitties being sure to hit the scent glands under the chin and near the base of the tail. Then brush new kitty. Go back and forth a few times each day.

Attachments

KrazyForKats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We use a large 6' tall gate that is easily made. It really helps with introductions and can easily be moved when not in use. Here is a link
[/URL][/URL]

Two months is just not long enough at all to introduce cats. It can take months and months.

Have you done any site swapping or scent swapping? I would start to move some of the new cats bedding into the main parts of the house. Start slowly by taking something he sleeps on. Just add it to a room and place a few treats on it. Don't coax the cats to investigate just allow them on their own time. Then take something from your other cats and place it in the new boys space. Same idea, just place it and add a few treats.

You can also do the same thing with a brush. Brush the resident kitties being sure to hit the scent glands under the chin and near the base of the tail. Then brush new kitty. Go back and forth a few times each day.
Thank you. Yes, I have been doing scent swapping, trading off towels covering their sleeping cushions. I think the gate is a very helpful suggestion for the next step. When acclimating Pixie and Charlie to each other, which took over a year, so I can be patient 🙂 I used a baby gate because Pixie, the aggressor, couldn’t jump it. Doodlebug is a jumper and a climber, but I think the tall shelves will work. Thanks again!

KrazyForKats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to give an update on Doodlebug. Thanks to @shadowrescue for recommending the 6 ft. gate. My husband built one for our den, so Doodle can be upstairs, but safely separated from my other 2. Today’s his first day in it and he seems pretty comfortable. The other 2 are on our 2nd floor right now, so they’re not aware he’s in there. The halter and leash training is coming along as well. I’m still very concerned about how I’ll get Doodlebug to stop being aggressive with the other 2, especially Charlie, the big male. But at least we’re starting the next step. Thanks for your help. I’ll keep you posted

Attachments

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
You won't have to get Doodlebug to understand, he'll learn it on his own. Your job is to make sure he knows that he's safe, will always have food available, and that people are there to love him. Once his thinking goes from a feral cat (anything can hurt me, I do t know where/when my next meal is, other cats are going to take my food and territory) to an indoor cat, then you'll have more of a sense of peace in the house.

KrazyForKats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, that didn’t last long. Doodlebug escaped already and went after Charlie. We’ll need to make modifications to the gate.

KrazyForKats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We made some modifications to our 6 ft. gate (added screening above it and put plexiglass at the top so he can’t climb up) so Doodlebug is back in our den part time. He’s okay in there when I stay in there with him, but cries to get out when I leave. Charlie, the formerly feral cat that Doodle tries to attack, watches him from the stairs, but doesn’t go up to the gate. Charlie seems curious, but afraid of Doodlebug. I’ve shut the other 2 cats in our bedroom and let Doodle run around the house for a few hours. He (Doodlebug) really seems happiest in our basement, but I think he needs time in the den. I know that Doodlebug is not ready to be put together with the other 2 cats. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to proceed from here?

Attachments