After Pu Surgery

Siberian cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everybody!

I will tell you our story. Our 3.5 years old castrated male cat acted weird last week a little. He never had any medical issues in his life before. Everything was OK until last Tuesday/Wednesday, but then he stuck out the penis sometimes and licked it in the last 1-2 days. He ate peed and pood okay, so we thought he should be fine. A day passed and he started vomiting. We became concerned, we noticed something is really swollen at the belly of the cat, close to the rear legs. Plus we realized he did not pee for half a day/day already.

We took him to the vet hospital emergency, where they quickly realized it is urethra blockage. They did tests said everything is fine, kidney is perfect, blood test is fine. After that they catheterized him (when they started a little blood came out), we went home for the night, but he stayed and was admitted to the hospital that night (last Thursday). We talked later with the emergency vet that night again, when they told he seems to be fine, the pee is coming out.

But the next morning, bad news came. The catheter was blocked again, and once again in the morning, so they had no choice but to do an emergency surgery.

Later they explained that during the surgery they had to do a PU as the penis was damaged and blocked, plus they opened and cleaned the bladder. They said it was relatively complicated as the circumstances were not ideal but emergency. (Blocked while performing PU etc.). The surgery was on Friday early afternoon.

Currently the cat is still in hospital with a catheter in, they are reducing the pain medications. He is eating very well, the pee is coming out fine and very clean (it was bloody in the first day post surgery), and he is not in a bad mood. The pee is coming both inside the catheter and next to it too, which is not ideal but not a bad sign either, as shows the urethra should be OK. They say now we have to keep in the catheter for 10 days altogether, to maximize his chances not to be blocked again. Now they say the risk is, if the urethra was damaged the scar tissue can close the urethra, so they want to keep in the catheter for 10 days to let it heal, and after we can hope when they take out the catheter he is fine. If he can pee for 1-2 days without it, then he can come home. (almost 2 week in the hospital). They explained it is like a balancing act, the longer they keep the catheter in the better the urethra is healed, but the higher the chances are for an infection, which should be fine because he is treated with antibiotics.

We are really worried. They say we can only be sure if he is fine after the catheter is out and there is always a chance that its blocked on the first 1-2 days afterwards.
He seems okay in the hospital, we visit him every day, he was even purring for us during the visit. The nurses/vets seem to be really caring for him, watching his every need.
What do you think, what are his chances?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Siberian - you've really been through a lot these past few weeks. I hope your boy feels better soon!
I don't have any experience with PU surgery. It sounds like your vets know what they are doing. If he does run into complications he is in absolutely the best place to notice and handle it. Fingers crossed he should be fine. I would ask your vets about how best to manage his condition (crystals I assume?) when he is ready to come home. Do you need to change his diet? Would a water fountain help? If stress is a factor, how can you manage his stress levels?

:goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Siberian cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We will change the food for the special Urinary type after this. He already has a fountain and he has always drunk peed a lot. He lived alone so far, was not moving much. He seemed a happy cat, not much stress.
But we just brought him another kitty who arrived on the day he was already in the hospital/first day.
So it is a very very unfortunate timing. Instead of meeting his new companion, he went into PU surgery....
Now we are thinking when he comes home, maybe we should postpone the introduction and take away the new kitty for 1-2 weeks to reduce the stress for him. The vet said only because of stress the urethra can close for some cats. We are still deciding, but I guess a new cat can be stressful. It’s a difficult situation...

Aieko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We will change the food for the special Urinary type after this. He already has a fountain and he has always drunk peed a lot. He lived alone so far, was not moving much. He seemed a happy cat, not much stress.
But we just brought him another kitty who arrived on the day he was already in the hospital/first day.
So it is a very very unfortunate timing. Instead of meeting his new companion, he went into PU surgery....
Now we are thinking when he comes home, maybe we should postpone the introduction and take away the new kitty for 1-2 weeks to reduce the stress for him. The vet said only because of stress the urethra can close for some cats. We are still deciding, but I guess a new cat can be stressful. It’s a difficult situation...
Sorry you and your furball are going through so much, I'm sure he can make it out of this! May I ask for the kitties name?

Siberian cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Geronimo is the male and Pandora is the female.

Siberian cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Beautiful names. You mentioned not bringing in the new kitty for awhile to lower his stress levels, correct? Try reading this;

Tips for Reducing Your Cat's Stress Levels

Thank you. The vet suggested the best is some time still alone to heal in peace. So for 2 weeks somebody will take care of Pandora for us, and after we start the process.

Rufflesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had PU surgery 7 days ago. Posted short story on my page. They didnt leave a catheter in, is that normal?

Siberian cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is better! You are both lucky. That means in my understanding that the circumstances were better perhaps it was not an emergency PU while she was blocked, not that much inflamed. All in all your cat is less likely to develop the most feared complications: stictures/scar tissues which can be fatal. Good luck and no worries!

Siberian cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry: stricture.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, he blocked.
We took him to the E.R. where they catheterized him. Left it in until we admitted him to the next hospital (2 days later) for surgery that afternoon. They took the catheter out when they performed the PU.
We left the catheter in after unblocking him until his alteration to give time for the irritation of the catheter placement to level off and not cause further inflammation.
2 months from now will be 2 years ago

Rufflesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do yall think it looks infected or is it normal to be all scabby like that?

Rufflesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did yall have any issues with urine burning the incision?

Siberian cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do you mean by burning? Got any pics?

Rufflesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It just seems like the urine is stinging. Once he stands up from peeing him growls. Ethier bc the urine is dripping on the incision or bc he cant lick it

Attachments

Rufflesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The first pic was yesterday. Today looks dried more an scabbing

Siberian cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could you send it to a vet? What worries me a little is that yellow gel on the side. That could mean the wound is infected.
I can share a pic. how my cat’s wound looked like on day 10.
If you cannot send the pic to a vet to have a look, probably you should go there... Is he on antibiotics?

Rufflesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. Wow how did u keep it so clean!
Well we did end up going. He said sometimes the body just heals that way. He cut the scab off and said it was healing beautifully under the yucky scab. Thank God. Well apparently he was healed so much that he went ahead and took the stitches out a week early

Siberian cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Wow how did u keep it so clean!
Well we did end up going. He said sometimes the body just heals that way. He cut the scab off and said it was healing beautifully under the yucky scab. Thank God. Well apparently he was healed so much that he went ahead and took the stitches out a week early
I am glad you are both okay! I guess they all heal differently. It’s good that you went I think because simply the scab could block the way! Good luck and let me know how he is doing!

For the peeing:
How long does it take?
Is he straining and pushing really hard to urinate or it is relatively quick?
Is he going many times in a row or manages to do it at one shot and then doesn’t go for a while?

These are the things which can tell much, especially in a week or so when the pain won’t affect him anymore from the wound.