Advise On Moving Feral Colony

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

barngal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You'll get them eventually, you just have to be persistent.

I'm a big fan of grass rather than flooring. You don't have to worry about flooding or weather damage. Grass encourages bugs which means you won't need to clean up the enclosure very often. My cats bury their poop outside and it gets dealt with by beetles and other insects. The only time I have to scoop the enclosure is after heavy snow.

Try planting some wheat grass, which cats love to chew. You could also try basil to keep mosquitoes away and lavender to repel fleas. Cat nip too, of course.

Do they have boxes to sleep in inside the horse stall? I guess if they are out of the rain cardboard boxes would be fine. Straw makes very good bedding. My cats have a modified dog kennel and a few other wooden shelters outside. They're not very feral any more though, they only sleep outside in the summer.

This is some of the stuff we built for them out of reclaimed timber.
View attachment 270271
This one was made from a couple of dead trees we had to cut down.
View attachment 270272
It gets very overgrown in summer, but plants attract bugs and bugs attract birds and mice, so the cats are happy.View attachment 270273
Dog kennel lined with cardboard and straw.
View attachment 270274

barngal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love what you’ve done! It’s great. Lots of wonderful ideas too! In the stall I left 2 of the large dog crates plus a few other little cat/ dog houses, all with beds and blankets and hay. Also, I’ve kept them semi covered for dark hiding places so they can feel safe. Eventually I will move the largest dog crate out and replace it with a smaller cat house. For now I just wanted them to be able to hide. Still working on getting the other two.
They are very trap savvy!
Thanks for the idea on the natural grass floor for the outdoor catio. I think that is what we will do.

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't see any, but did I miss the pitchers of the new place?

Pops

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Even indoors hay tends to go a bit mouldy after a while. The heat from the cats bodies causes condensation and hay never dries out as well as straw does. I'd go for straw, even if the shelter is never going to get rained on.

We'd love to see some pictures though.

:heartshape:

barngal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What do you see as the advantage of hay for indoor shelters?
What do you see as the advantage of hay for indoor shelters?
To be honest, I don’t let the hay get to that point. I replace it when I feel like it’s taking on any moisture. Believe me, I’m on the case! The only reason I use hay is because I have it for the horses! (readily available)