Advise On Moving Feral Colony

barngal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. I’m a new member and would like advise on moving a colony of cats to an indoor enclosed 11x11horse stall for the winter (already built) and then attaching an outdoor catio in the spring. There are 4 cats, 3 of which have already been TNR’d in the past. I live in the country. The abandoned house where I feed the cats in the city where I work will be demolished soon. I already have 2 of the cats which have been to the vet for testing, shots, etc. They are with me because I’m treating one for an infection and the other is in the stall now. She hides during the day but will come out to eat and use the litterbox, mostly at night. It has been one week. Tomorrow, I am going to try and trap the other 2 cats. Anyone have experience moving ferals to an enclosed catio? Am I doing the right thing? How long did it take for them to feel comfortable?? I have many questions and worries and would appreciate any feedback! Thank you!

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really don't have anything for you B barngal as I have never relocated a feral colony. But I can tell you that, after the sex (via TNR) is gone it's really all about the food. Make certain the new location has everything they need and they will be happy IMO. Good luck and God bless you. :redheartpump:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I moved with 3 feral cats but decided to make them inside cats after the move. It has been 10 months now and they have adjusted to inside living well. We have had blips along the way, but I am so happy I was able to bring them along and give them a better life.

It will take them a bit to acclimate. But most importantly they must be confined or they will only try to make their way back to their previous home.

Start a routine with them and try to stick with it. Trying to feed meals at the same time each day is a good place to start. They will begin to look forward to you.

Thank you for doing the best for the kitties. They will have a wonderful place to live.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
B barngal -- You are doing a genuine kindness! I have just one question. Would it be possible for a cat to escape over the top of the stall. Might be a good thing to enclose the top with some chicken fencing to prevent escaping.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey!:welcomesign:

You can move a colony. I have been connected to a feral rescue group for a long time. It must be done carefully but it sounds like you are planning it well. Usually people move small colonies and keep them confined where they can see outside for at least a few weeks. That helps them to get oriented to the new location if they are to be released back outside. A window would be a good thing in the barn ( for now if they are staying in, I would not be overly worried about a window) or when the catio is built they need to be able to see outside.

The sooner all are reunited, the better. That will keep them bonded to each other. It really sounds like you are pretty much on top of this. If you are keeping them inside permanently then I would work on trying to socialize them as much as they will allow. That makes it much easier to care for them. If they were ever around humans, it will be easier to socialize but i have even socialized true Ferals. Enclosed catios need to be constructed so the cats cannot get out. At least unless you want them to go out. Inside is safer. Screen can be pulled apart by claws if they work at it. You can use a small gauge metal hardware cloth which is a heavier metal mesh screen. This would stop snakes from coming in and the cats from getting out.

There are lots of people on this site that can show you what they have built. There are many wonderful shelters built be members here. You are most welcome to continue this conversation here. It’s great to meet such a wonderful person. I think you are doing an amazing job with the kitties! I wish everyone was as caring as you are. Welcome to thecatsite! A lot of people would like to hear about what you are doing. Yay! You’re awesome! Thank you for saving the kitties. Please keep me updated! I’ll be very interested in how things are going for you and the four. ( do they have names yet?) looking forward to hearing about you all. :rock:

I’m not sure what all you need to know but if you have anymore questions or need anything just ask here.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

barngal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I moved with 3 feral cats but decided to make them inside cats after the move. It has been 10 months now and they have adjusted to inside living well. We have had blips along the way, but I am so happy I was able to bring them along and give them a better life.

It will take them a bit to acclimate. But most importantly they must be confined or they will only try to make their way back to their previous home.

Start a routine with them and try to stick with it. Trying to feed meals at the same time each day is a good place to start. They will begin to look forward to you.

Thank you for doing the best for the kitties. They will have a wonderful place to live.

Thank you for your advise! Yes they will be totally confined even when the outer catio is built. It will attach to the inner stall via a cat door. I have so many predators around here.

barngal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
8kitties 8kitties Q2U Q2U may be able to provide some suggestions for you :)
Thank you!

Thank you for your input!

B barngal -- You are doing a genuine kindness! I have just one question. Would it be possible for a cat to escape over the top of the stall. Might be a good thing to enclose the top with some chicken fencing to prevent escaping.
Already done!! I used 16 gauge 1x2 wire and all ( I mean all) the books and crannies are escape proof! My husband does carpentry so he helped me. He built the frame and we attached the wire and everything is screwed in to the stall wood all the way up to the loft.
Gorillas couldn’t get out of this if they tried!!
Lol

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi B barngal Thank you for helping these cats. I moved house with my colony of 22 semi-feral cats about five years ago.

Here's the thread.

Moving House, Taking The Colony With Me.

As long as the barn is totally escape proof I don't think you'll have any problems. I have more to say, but I'm just about to start work now. So, a few tips I can give are:

Make sure you have loads of litter boxes. Use earth from outside in the boxes and then sprinkle the used earth in the area you are going to build the catio so the cats can smell that this is their territory.

If you have electricity in the stall try a Felliway plug in for the first month or so

https://www.feliway.com/us

More to come......

barngal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi B barngal Thank you for helping these cats. I moved house with my colony of 22 semi-feral cats about five years ago.

Here's the thread.

Moving House, Taking The Colony With Me.

As long as the barn is totally escape proof I don't think you'll have any problems. I have more to say, but I'm just about to start work now. So, a few tips I can give are:

Make sure you have loads of litter boxes. Use earth from outside in the boxes and then sprinkle the used earth in the area you are going to build the catio so the cats can smell that this is their territory.

If you have electricity in the stall try a Felliway plug in for the first month or so

https://www.feliway.com/us

More to come......
Thank you so much!!

barngal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I tried trapping the other two today with no luck... ugh! We are going to try again after work the next two nights and of course withholding wet food until then. Will leave them a little dry food since it’s cold out though. I just hope we can get these girls.
We have standard traps, box traps and drop traps. They seem to be very smart! I’m working with a rescue since they have the experience in trapping. They tell me we will succeed in the end. I hope so!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t worry. They are smart but you’ll get them. I have been frustrated and worried before too. It seems like just when we get worried, we catch them. There are many methods to doing it. The funniest thing that happened to me is the last really feral cat I was trying to trap from a colony finally realized that he was the last and , although he had managed to avoid all traps, he just came over to me and gave up voluntarily. They really are smart. Lol He is inside now and is becoming a tame and sweet lap cat that loves to snuggle. You’ll get them!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sure they will succeed. I am sure they have lots of experience and since you are using all different types of traps, I am sure one will work.

Keep us update.

barngal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your words of encouragement guys! I’ll keep you updated!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
When we moved our colony we took two or three cats a day over a two week period. It was only a 30 minute drive, so we could go back and forth quite easily. The last two, who had been a nightmare to trap when they were TNR'd the first time, were really glad to see us after all their friends had disappeared and we'd been gone for 24 hours. They trotted straight into the traps.

:thumbsup:

It will take about a month for them to get used to their new home. They usually just hide in a small corner at first, so you don't need to worry about the catio right away.

If you want to give them more space try to expand vertically. Plenty of cat shelving and high look-out spots will keep them happy. That should be easy enough to put up in a stall.

What kind of beds are you giving them?
What will the floor of the catio be?
How are you going to get in and out of the stall? If you have any potential door darters a double door is a good idea. Easy enough to make with some planks of wood and chicken wire.

Show us pictures! We love pictures.

:heartshape:

barngal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your encouragement! Have not gotten the other two yet! Have tried several times and last night came close but then a cop car raced by with sirens and that was it. Will try again this weekend.
To answer your question, yes I have expanded vertically in the stall. No takers yet! I go into the stall thru the bottom of a Dutch door. The upper 1/2 is completely wired in. I have thought about using a shield of sorts in front of me in case they were close to the door but so far it isn’t an issue. I am extremely careful and no one is allowed in there but me. ( it’s just my husband and I!). The catio won’t be built until spring and we thought maybe we’d dig down about a foot and use pressure treated wood and heavy gauge wire so there is no chance of escape by digging. Leaving a natural floor with grass.... What are your thoughts on flooring??

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You'll get them eventually, you just have to be persistent.

I'm a big fan of grass rather than flooring. You don't have to worry about flooding or weather damage. Grass encourages bugs which means you won't need to clean up the enclosure very often. My cats bury their poop outside and it gets dealt with by beetles and other insects. The only time I have to scoop the enclosure is after heavy snow.

Try planting some wheat grass, which cats love to chew. You could also try basil to keep mosquitoes away and lavender to repel fleas. Cat nip too, of course.

Do they have boxes to sleep in inside the horse stall? I guess if they are out of the rain cardboard boxes would be fine. Straw makes very good bedding. My cats have a modified dog kennel and a few other wooden shelters outside. They're not very feral any more though, they only sleep outside in the summer.

This is some of the stuff we built for them out of reclaimed timber.
TreeHouse18.jpg

This one was made from a couple of dead trees we had to cut down.
TreeHouse41.jpg

It gets very overgrown in summer, but plants attract bugs and bugs attract birds and mice, so the cats are happy.
TreeHouse54.jpg

Dog kennel lined with cardboard and straw.
ButtonBert2.jpg