Advice: Transporting Kitten And Young Cat In Same Large Carrier

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello to TCS members,
I really need advice about picking up a 3-4 month old kitten. I have a 1 year old male confident Maine Coon mix. He Is very human friendly , lap cat, side - kick, loves waters, and been here since he was a kitten. He has been around other cats and loved to play and is only afraid of loud trucks. There is an adorable calico kitten fostered with 2 siblings. I can only take one. I travel with my Coo-Coo who rides quietly, when we return home he re-orients to the house. Would it be wise to take him to meet the kitten in the unfamiliar shelter and return with the two of them in the same large carrier ? do cats/kitten go to events in the same carrier/ kennel.? The goal is to reduce my resident cat's territorial behavior or aggression against the kitten. The plan is to stuff 'em in the car for a ride when resident dominance arises as ,I know it will.AND get a handle on it before -hand. Help from a knowledgeable foster-pet person is greatly appreciated.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely would not transport any cats that are strangers to one another in the same carrier, let alone a kitten and a cat. Being transported is stressful enough. Add in a strange cat/kitten is a recipe for all out fighting and potential injury.

Introduce them slowly at home.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello mingnoosh, I think best is leave your 1 year old at home while you go fetch the new kitty. I don't think it's a good idea to stuff them in the same crate when they have not met before and that's a risky way to transport them. It's gonna stress the two kitties especially the young one.

What you can do is before you bring home the new kitty, go carry her and get a towel and rub her scents on you and the towel. Then go home, without washing away the scent from you and the towel, let your resident cat smell you and the towel. Once he sort of got the scent, then you bring home the kitty but better to follow the proper cat introduction.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight

Don't take the risk of putting them in the same crate even though you know what to do and can handle before hand. Before you can act, a fight may have broken up and it'll affect your driving. And if you separate them on the road, one or both may just jump out of the car and escape and what are you going to do?

Please do the slow introduction even if your resident cat is human friendly it he might not be cat friendly.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably not. Even if your resident cat is used to car rides, it's still removing him from his territory and putting him into a tiny place he can't escape. This will more than likely make him defensive and nervous. Cats, I find, are a little more predictable in this type of situation than dogs. You're bound to have issues in the beginning and this isn't going to be resolved in a car ride. In fact, it could make it worse. Both of them would probably be feeling insecure in a carrier in a moving vehicle and especially with another cat nearby. So overall, no. I would highly recommend against it.

However, if you need help with introductions, there are plenty of people here who can help with that. I, myself, have spent enough time in the introduction type of threads that I could probably tell you just about everything they'll say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, thanks sooo much. I would really mess up the mix with a combo carrier car kennel. I thought Coo-coo was relaxed, but now I think about it he was all wide-eyed during our rode trips. So, that was a sign of stress ? I like the practice of scent exchange. Plus it sound easy.
Introductions are nerve raking. Every cat is different. What scares me the most is that a kitten could be killed by an older cat. Oh, my.. is that possible ?

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats don't like car rides unless they're taken on them while they're young. And even then, you'd have to keep up on it because they could still relate it to bad things such as vet trips. And, while you know your cat best, there's pretty much always issues at first. Introductions can be very scary and, yes, it's possible someone, especially a kitten, could be injured or killed. However, this is unlikely to happen as long as you go at their pace and watch their body language. More often than not, you can see attack coming long before it actually happens. At first they should be kept separated though and there shouldn't be a chance for an attack during this time.

Just remember, stay as calm as possible and there are people here willing to help.

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 1 year old Coo-Coo is with me all day and sometimes hangs out in a pet taxi. I moved it to another room so he does not claim it as his only. Recently, he found it , got in it, and I had to gently pull him out, he did' t want to come out. Does that sound like a territorial issue ? Mine /leave he says(leave me in it. ) or (I want to go somewhere). I have not even gotten the kitten , cause he is being a little nippy at my fingers lately when I try to stroke him.

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some times I think Coo-Coo is too demanding,I have a lot of patience, but low on energy. I read the thread
Do I have enough time for a kitten. I do. But my energy level is low.
My thread about transport has led me to the greater issue of introducing cats. I mostly, feel bad about isolating the kitten and I suffer thru the crying stage. What helps a kitten stop. crying, I want to know before I get the kitten.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some kittens adapt to their new home without any crying. Others may meow simply because they are lonely or they want to get out and explore. Playtime and cuddling will usually make a kitten feel happier pretty quickly.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you need to worry about your cat being territorial. In fact, the more territory your cat has, the more secure he'll be. He just has to learn to share it. My cats like laying in a carrier too. It has not caused me any issues.

I, personally, haven't had a problem with kittens meowing. They were nervous, yes, but mostly curious. Kittens are much better at bouncing back than adult cats. They're still young and forming their habits and routines. They don't have territory issues just yet. And your kitten shouldn't be too isolated. You should give both cats attention and assure them that they're okay.

Overall, it doesn't take much energy to play with a cat. I sit on the floor and wave a toy around. In fact, it can be quite enjoyable as they all have their own quirks and styles of playing.

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should give kitten company first, then gradually let Coo-Coo be properly introduced, scent exchange , peek under the closed door. What about putting kitten in pet taxi and sit it in community room the second or third day after arrival ? They will see each other. Then return kitten to safe room with freedom to roam. Playing ,cuddling with both equally ,but separately. I think I can do that.
Thank goodness, my Coo-Coo has settled into a nice side-kick and recently gives me a break from cooking -up his mischief. I.e LEAPING OVER TALL BUILDINGS IN A SINGLE BOUND !,!, Oh, let's jump on pet mommy' back while she's at the kitchen sink. (Raised eyebrows).:flail:

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I'd do anything other than let them sniff under the door until both are calm. The kitten will probably need a few days to adjust and the chances of the resident cat being perfectly okay with the kitten are rather low. Perhaps not impossible, but unlikely. Then you might try a carrier, but really setting up some baby gates would be better. That way, if something does happen, the kitten won't feel so trapped. If your resident cat attempted an attack, it could be very scary for a little kitten stuck in a tiny space. With baby gates, both would be free to move away.

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everybody I have a completely new thread and will post it, now.