Advice please regarding pregnant cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet is back on Monday afternoon but will call tomorrow and speak to one of the others just to see what they say. If that is the case does that mean she can still get pregnant again ? She ran out the door yesterday but I got her back in straight away, had to bring a kitten wrapped up to the door but she didn't leave the garden by the time she noticed the kitten and she ran straight back in. Now I'm worried incase she does escape again. I didn't even know it was possible to not do a spay properly. X

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
samjam samjam

It's possible she is just hormonal still, and the spay went well. My cat continued to act as though she was in heat for several days following her spay. Once her hormones calmed down it never happened again.

Since your vet is so experienced, as long as he himself performed her surgery, I doubt anything was left behind. I think it's a good idea to speak to him when he returns to the office, but my guess is that it is just her hormones fluctuating.

Last edited:

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
samjam samjam

It's possible she is just hormonal still, and the spay went well. My cat continued to act as though she was in heat for several days following her spay. Once her hormones calmed down it never happened again.

Since your vet is so experienced, as long as he himself performed her surgery, I doubt anything was left behind. I think it's a good idea to speak to him when he returns to the office, but my guess is that it is just her hormones fluctuating.
She seems a lot calmer this morning and back to her normal self. I have no idea what got into her last night. Yes it was my own vet who did the procedure and I trust him but last night worried me. I'm going to give him a call on Monday anyway just to double check and even get her in for a check up just to make sure all is ok.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad she has calmed down. It sounds like it was a hormonal fluctuation. As time goes by and she eventually nurses less, the fluctuations will cease. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad she has calmed down. It sounds like it was a hormonal fluctuation. As time goes by and she eventually nurses less, the fluctuations will cease. [emoji]128522[/emoji]
That makes sense as I've been noticing she gets a little vocal if she's nursed for a while without a break.
I was giving her the petag kmr that I had ordered online for the kittens. I've been mixing it in with her dry food that she gets in between her wet food but I ran out of the petag so bought the Royal canine from the vet store, it's powdered kmr just the same but I'm not sure if I should give her it incase the change upsets her stomach ? Only reason I've been giving her it is because she's became so so skinny even though she's eating 5 pouches of cat food per day and 3 bowls of dry cat food and she's just not gaining any weight and since giving her the kmr she's started filling out again. I read on some threads on here it was okay to give mummy cat the kmr or I wouldn't have gave her it otherwise.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
samjam samjam

I'm glad the KMR is helping! Royal Canin is an excellent brand. It should not upset her tummy. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
samjam samjam

I'm glad the KMR is helping! Royal Canin is an excellent brand. It should not upset her tummy. [emoji]128522[/emoji]
Oh that's good. Will make some up for her tomorrow then. Was just worried incase she ended up unwell because it was a different brand. Cost quite a bit more as well compared to the petag.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Just a little photo update of the kitties
Dusty at the top and Diva at the bottom.
They both love playing with mummy's scratch post and mummy has been showing them how to play with my curtains [emoji]128514[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, mommy, not the curtains! [emoji]128514[/emoji]

They are too cute!

Have mom's hormones calmed down now?

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, mommy, not the curtains! [emoji]128514[/emoji]

They are too cute!

Have mom's hormones calmed down now?
Not yet, she's been really vocal the past 2 days and even worse through out the nights. She's also not been eating much, all she will eat is dry kitten food mixed with the kmr but even at that she only eats 1 bowl of it. I've got her booked in to see the vet for Thursday just to have a MOT check and make sure there is nothing untoward going on.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think that's a good idea. He did spay her, right?

Last edited:

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think that's a good idea. He did spay her, right?
Yeah, he said he would do it during the c-section as he thought it would be more traumatic for Jessie if he did it when the kittens were 8 weeks. When I spoke to him yesterday morning he was confident that he had did it correctly and even he couldn't fathom why she was acting the way she is but told me to take her in tomorrow just to make sure all is what it should be. It has been a no end of worry since this all started. I just hope she is okay and just being weird or something.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I still think it's her hormones, but it's a bit unusual. Let us know what he says when you see him. She may have just enough estrogen left to mimic a heat cycle. Once she stops nursing those hormones should diminish. I can't think what else it could be besides just restlessness.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I still think it's her hormones, but it's a bit unusual. Let us know what he says when you see him. She may have just enough estrogen left to mimic a heat cycle. Once she stops nursing those hormones should diminish. I can't think what else it could be besides just restlessness.
I'm hoping it's just something like that. It has been really humid also the past few days so maybe the heat is getting to her ?

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Had Jessie at the vet today and he did an ultrasound and also did a blood test to check for any infection and everything is clear. He's 99.9% sure that she's just having a hormone spike due to the kittens still feeding as much and also the fact I have noticed male cats around she's being vocal for what he thinks is my attention to help protect her and her babies from the males coming around the garden. Not much of what he said made much sense to me as I have no idea about this sort of stuff but I trust him completely so I suppose I just need to see how she goes once the kittens start weaning xx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your vet is correct! I had males hanging around until a couple of weeks after my cat was spayed. When her hormone levels receded for good, the males left.

So your vet and I agree it is hormones, which are still in high gear since she's still nursing. Jessie knows the males are out there, and it is stressing her since she's still protecting her kittens.

It will be okay in the long run! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your vet is correct! I had males hanging around until a couple of weeks after my cat was spayed. When her hormone levels receded for good, the males left.

So your vet and I agree it is hormones, which are still in high gear since she's still nursing. Jessie knows the males are out there, and it is stressing her since she's still protecting her kittens.

It will be okay in the long run! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
I'm just glad it's nothing underlying causing any problems, I dread taking her to the vets now because I worry something will be wrong. What happened has actually traumatised me, which I know sounds silly but it really has. I love Jessie so much and the kittens now as well but I never realised how much she meant to me until this all happened with the pregnancy and kittens. She was bought for my 6 year old but she's always been a mummy's girl so he doesn't bother with her much anymore cos she just walks away from him and comes to me lol.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand completely how you feel. We love our fur babies! I'm glad your vet found no cause for concern either. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad to see Jessie's vet visit went well.  And I too understand caring so much about our fur babies. I only have the one, and anytime I see anything out of the ordinary going on with her, I go into worry-wort mode. 

You're keeping both kittens, right. Hopefully one of them will bond with your son.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad to see Jessie's vet visit went well.  And I too understand caring so much about our fur babies. I only have the one, and anytime I see anything out of the ordinary going on with her, I go into worry-wort mode. 

You're keeping both kittens, right. Hopefully one of them will bond with your son.
Yes he adores Diva and is always playing about with her with her little toys. Dusty is more playful with Jessie