Advice please regarding pregnant cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's fine to break it up if you think she is being too rough. I broke it up when my kittens would scream sometimes.

But she's really not going to hurt them deliberately. It often looks worse than it is. I know it's hard to watch it though. [emoji]128528[/emoji]
I'm just glad it's normal. Been worrying like mad.
Every day is a learning day with these kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, just keep your questions and concerns coming in your thread - that's what we're here for! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Just a little update on my fur babies. This is dusty. Both kittens now have a mouth full of teeth and have started becoming more playful. They now climb out of their nest and take a few steps outside the nest before Jessie takes them back to the nest. They are trying to explore more also. They've been purring loads over the past day or 2 also.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

And here is diva. She's starting to get more white on her chest and what seems to be more ginger on her eyebrows and back.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
this is both of them playing.
As you can see diva has a multi tonal coat. I have no idea what her colour actually is. Any ideas ?

Last edited by a moderator:

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She also has a whiteish paw and has a white stomach.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not sure about the coat colors, which tend to develop more and more as they mature. Black cats often have tabby stripes in their coats that come out as they grow. Even sitting in the sun can change a black cat's coat to reddish or brown.

They look so sweet! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about the coat colors, which tend to develop more and more as they mature. Black cats often have tabby stripes in their coats that come out as they grow. Even sitting in the sun can change a black cat's coat to reddish or brown.

They look so sweet! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

That's what happened with Jessie. She was pure black as a kitten and now she's a light black/brown colour now. I do think diva looks quite tabby. Dusty is black but has a light grey/brown colour on his stomach. I'm just wondering who the dad is as it was only a bright ginger tabby I seen wandering around about the time she was in heat.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It really depends on the dominant and recessive gene pool each cat carries. Since you're not sure about the dad it's hard to know for sure. It seems apparent they got dominant black genes from mom, with a few other recessive traits mixed in. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kittens have been climbing out of their nest the past few days and I noticed today that 1 of them did a few pees on the floor. Does that mean I should start to introduce a litter tray ? Haven't noticed any poos as of yet. They also have a full mouth of teeth. When should I think of introducing kitten food ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are on the young side for weaning and litter training at 3 weeks and 2 days old, but you can always try!

They may just play in the litter or try to eat it, but add in the tray and introduce mush and see if they show interest yet.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are on the young side for weaning and litter training at 3 weeks and 2 days old, but you can always try!

They may just play in the litter or try to eat it, but add in the tray and introduce mush and see if they show interest yet.
I wasn't going to try weaning yet, I just wasn't sure when I should start as a few different places I've seen online suggest different stages so thought to ask on here to find out for sure. I do think they are starting to hurt mummy though as she lets out a cry now and again sometimes when they are feeding but I've checked her nipples and there is no obvious signs of them being hurt or sore.
I notice they hurt each other as well when playing and biting each other one with cry out and mummy uses her paw to move them apart. Are they ok to be climbing out and wandering about now or will they still get too cold ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are okay to explore, however; limit the area to just one room and make sure it's kitten-proofed. Be especially careful of recliner chairs and drawers.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are okay to explore, however; limit the area to just one room and make sure it's kitten-proofed. Be especially careful of recliner chairs and drawers.
Okay I will do that in the morning as it's currently midnight here in the uk and I'm not sure my husband or children would like being woken with me safety proofing the room the kittens are in lol. I noticed Dusty cleaning himself today also and it was so cute seeing him do it being such a tiny thing. It's such a joy watching them grow

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so confused right now. It's 11:30pm here in the uk and I've just been woken by Jessie doing her calling sound. Came running into the room where her and the kittens are and everything seems okay but Jessie keeps doing the screeching like that i can only describe as her mating call as if she's in heat but obviously I know that's not possible as she was spayed during her c-section. She's now sitting on the ledge at the window (inside the house obviously) and screeching and purring and keeps running to me and then back to the window. If she hadn't been spayed I could have sworn she was in heat but it's 100% not possible. Why is she acting as if she is. Anyone able to help ?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could be in heat.  Either there are still hormones in her from before the spay or they didn't get all the stuff out and her body is still creating the hormones.   Is your vet still on vacation?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's been threads on this site of spayed cats going into heat. It is rare, but can happen if the vet missed a bit of ovarian tissue during the spay. The only solution is another surgery to find and remove the missed tissue. Hopefully that isn't Jessie's problem, but if it keeps up, I guess a call to your vet would be in order.