Advice Needed!

jsirekan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I have had my cat for about 3 years now.. we adopted her from a shelter when she was two. She was a very anxious cat with alot of problems (though the shelter failed to tell us that) we have spent so much time and money trying to help her but it's gotten to a point where we have to find her a new home.. we have tried EVERYTHING and she will not stop peeing on the carpet. And sometimes the couch.. we have a baby now and he needs to be able to lay on the ground (to learn to crawl) unfortunately we can't even go in our living room because it smells so bad and I'm scared that if I take the carpet out she will just pee on the couches and beds. She has made alot of progress though and really is sweet she cuddles us, will come out when we have company, and even let my husband pick her up for a few seconds! She is also really good around the baby. I'm just lost on what to do because we can't have her peeing everywhere like this anymore and I don't think anyone will want a cat that pees everywhere + she has to be on medicated food which my husband and I would be more than happy to continue to pay for if someone could take her.. how can we find her a new home? I really don't want to send her to a shelter

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First off, I'm not here to advise you on how to rehome her, I'm going to let you know that if YOU can smell her urine in the carpet, obviously SHE can, and if she can smell it, she is going to return to it again and again, because that's what cat's will do. You need to get that smell out by using a really good enzymatic cleaner, like Nok-Out or Nature's Miracle. Until tht smell is complete gone (to the cat) this behavior will not go away. Even then, you may still have problems, but I guarantee you will continue to have them until that issue has been fully addressed :sigh:

Here, this article may be of great benefit to you :hugs::

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you explain to us what you have tried to help her problems? It is just heart breaking to hear a story like this as once a cat is labeled with a pee problem, they are almost impossible to rehome. If you do send her to a shelter, please be sure it is a no kill shelter. Otherwise she will be euthanized.

Here is a great article on litter box issues. Please read through it and see if there are any new suggestions. Also let us know what you have tried.
16 Experts Reveal The Most Common Litterbox Mistakes (and How To Avoid Them)
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Also just to clarify, I assume she is spayed?
Also two videos

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jsirekan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens yes I'm aware of this.. we have bought 3 new carpets already after trying lots of cleaners on them.. we have also moved previously and she just starts again

jsirekan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
shadowsrescue we have tried having more litter boxes, more litter, different litters, no lid, a lid, putting the box where she pees. A few things I can think of real quick.. we've been dealing with this for a long time there have been lots of things over the years.

I will also add that she did stop this behavior when I stopped working and was home all day, as soon as I started going back to work she started again. So I'm assuming it's separation anxiety but I can't just stop working.

jsirekan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And yes! She is spayed

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has she been to the vet to check for UTI or other urinary/kidney issues?
Have you tried Feliway or Composure?

Are there other cats in the neighborhood that she sees outside or that territorial mark on your property that she could smell?

All just thoughts. I just want to be sure that you have tried everything possible. As I said before taking a cat with pee problems to a shelter is often not a good solution.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: You certainly have your hands full! Such a frustrating situation for you...one thought - are the litters that you have tried UNSCENTED? and if it is separation anxiety, then you could also try floral essences, such as Bach's or the ones that Jackson Galaxy sells on his website. It might be a good idea to continue re-homing attempts although you have to be extra careful because the "nicest" people can have a dark side - be sure to ask for references, including vet references; a cat is sometimes better off being put down by the vet than risking a dubious placement.

jsirekan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
shadowsrescue yes she has been checked multiple times for any health problems, and the feliway does nothing unfortunately.. there are other cats in the neighborhood that she sees but she doesnt mark near any entrances or Windows so I don't think that is the problem

Catsknowme Yes our litter is unscented! Are you saying that scented litters can help? I've actually never heard of that! I will look into it.

jsirekan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: we have a cat behaviorist that is going to come work with her, we are also going to try anxiety medication. Fingers crossed that this will work!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually I've heard scented litters can cause avoidance. I haven't had this problem ever though.

Only time I has litter issues it was either a uti or one old cat who was senile.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
UPDATE: we have a cat behaviorist that is going to come work with her, we are also going to try anxiety medication. Fingers crossed that this will work!
Anxiety medication was one of the items listed in the article I referenced as a last ditch effort. SO glad you are not giving up on your furbaby :hugs:

BTW, let us know how it goes with the cat behaviorist. I'm sure others would love to hear about your experience! AND, I can only imagine how frustrating this must be for you. We just always try to find a resolution in a rehoming situation if there any way possible. Fingers crossed these things will work :crossfingers:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We ended up putting one of our cats on fluoxetine for inappropriate urinating. It's worked wonders for him. I hope the behaviorist and medications help for your kitty.