Advice for preventing tartar buildup?

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
The CET dental chews are the only ones I would suggest.

[/URL]

The CET poultry toothpaste is popular with cats. If your vet doesn't sell CET products, you can buy them online. Pet stores do not sell CET products.

You'll want the CET mini cat toothbrush kit to start. The mini toothbrush is not sold on it's own. Here's the listing on Chewy but you can buy it on Amazon and other places:

[/URL]

Went to CET, interested in the chews, can anyone purchase from their website or do they only sell to companys or veterinarians? I tried to register to check prices but wasn't able to.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the water additive that is for cats, have for years. Oxyfresh Dental Care and Oratene are the two I have used. Look under water additive for cats on Amazon. I know a lot of people say they don't work, but if you can't get your cat's teeth brushed, it's an alternative. All I know is since I started using them years ago, I have never had a cat need cleaning. One cat broke a tooth which required a vet visit. My Dutch had very yellow teeth and bad breath, since I started the Oxyfresh his teeth are now white and breath is much better, The only problem I have had with them is some brands have a mint odor (so watch for that) and the cats won't drink. The two I mentioned have been fine. You use very little so they last a long time. I guess my experience speaks for itself, I had one cat that needed cleaningf at the vets and it was two hundredd dollars. I started the additive and haven't had one needing cleaning since. So my use of water additives has been very positive, no complaints.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Went to CET, interested in the chews, can anyone purchase from their website or do they only sell to companys or veterinarians? I tried to register to check prices but wasn't able to.
You can buy CET products from Amazon and Chewy and other web sites.

Here's one listing for the dental chews on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Virbac-Enzymatic-Hygiene-Chews-Flavor/dp/B001P3NU4E

On Chewy: Virbac C.E.T. Oral Hygiene Poultry Flavor Cat Chews, Poultry, 96 count - Chewy.com

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I just can't recommend water additives. Water should be pure and cats can taste things! Read a horrible story on reddit about a person's cat getting dehydrated because she stopped drinking due to the additive. If it works for some people, great. But I don't recommend it.

Best way is teeth brushing I'm afraid. If that's not possible then running some toothpaste on their teeth.

I personally prefer the flat head toothbrushes at kittyteeth.com. They are just easier for me to use than those CET brushes.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really like those chews but boy! are they pricey, worth it if they work. I ordered the small toothbrush kit. I've bought others but she didn't like the toothpaste flavor
If your cat doesn't like one flavor, try another: one of our cats has a definite preference for CET poultry, the other just loves CET seafood. It makes a huge difference.

Sorry I just can't recommend water additives. Water should be pure and cats can taste things! Read a horrible story on reddit about a person's cat getting dehydrated because she stopped drinking due to the additive. If it works for some people, great. But I don't recommend it.

Best way is teeth brushing I'm afraid. If that's not possible then running some toothpaste on their teeth.
I also wouldn't use the additives. (Among other things, setting aside what kittyluv387 mentions, our cats don't drink water, they get water from their food!) The only other measure that our vet has mentioned for dental health is probiotics: she recommends Entero TruBenefits. We brush our cats' teeth and I haven't tried it yet but am seriously considering it. (Though I wouldn't stop brushing!)

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat doesn't like one flavor, try another: one of our cats has a definite preference for CET poultry, the other just loves CET seafood. It makes a huge difference.

I've tried about three different flavors with no luck, wouldn't even lick off of a finger. Looking forward to the CET Seafood flavor. She cooperates with us fairly well so once we get a tooth past she likes I think we will at least be able to rub her teeth.
:crossfingers:

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From my knowledge, removing dental plaque at home is impossible: the adherence is to powerful to be removed by rubbing.

I visit my dentist every 6 months or so. Using specialized tools, it takes some 40 minutes to work it out. Cats have fewer teeth (:-)), but I suspect the same process builds up plaque.

Again, from my knowledge - the only prevention measure for humans is by chlorhexidine. However, it is useless if used with normal toothpaste that contains sodiumlaurilsuphonat (anionic surfactant, a sort of soap). Many people do use chlorhexidine (mouthwash) and brush by normal toothpaste - which is wasting time and money. The same applies for alcohol-based mouthwash which ends up in drying gums and damaging the normal mouth bacteria. So i avoid alcohol-based mouthwash - which is pretty much 90% of the brands in my home country. Chlorhexidine is never used more than 4 weeks.

I think similar precautions should be followed i ncase of cats. I do not know what sort of active substances contain the veterinary tooth care and I do not know how safe it is the chlorhexidine for cats. I do not recommend using it on cats, I just gave an example about how complicate things are.

Still, not clear scientific evidence of the biochemical mechanism, and I do not know whether is used in veterinary dental care.

Another effective way to prevent plaque is ultrasonic shower - this one can be used at home, but remember to keep the pump clean (add a teaspoon of vinegar every six months or so) - otherwise there is simple shower - thus not effective. Expect some 100 USD or more for a good ultrasonic shower (at least these are the prices in my country, maybe they a bit lower in USA, I do not know).

There is unpleasant feeling caused by ultrasonic shower, I doubt a cat will allow ultrasonic showering. I do not have personal experience in using mine on my cat. :-). Side note: ultrasonic shower is a water shower, but not all water showers are ultrasonic devices :-).

In conclusion I suspect that tartar prevention and removal for cats at home is only marketing.

===

How tartar can be prevented then? Looking how the Mother Nature does this: crack bones - this will do a sort of "gum fitting" and stimulate salivation. Cats are predators, but chewing cans content does not equal cracking bones.

Drink tap water after meals (I do not know any other good and simple piece of advice neglected so massively that this one!) - for cats this translates in having fresh water available. Fresh means fresh.

Fats in the meals is good as well. I recently read that thirst is triggered by fat and Nathrium. Both are present in natural food (humans' and cats' alike), but for mysterious reasons, humans avoid salt (which of course is explicable in renal disease, but not for everybody). Sufficient water is a must for mouth and teeth as well. But cats do not drink just because they want (no willingness, just a reflex).

===
A final note: stress matter!
I know a case: one guy found his teeth on the pillow next morning to a very stressful personal situation. That is paradontosis! No joke. Can the cats be stressed? From my knowledge, yes!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
From my knowledge, removing dental plaque at home is impossible: the adherence is to powerful to be removed by rubbing.

I visit my dentist every 6 months or so. Using specialized tools, it takes some 40 minutes to work it out. Cats have fewer teeth (:-)), but I suspect the same process builds up plaque.

Again, from my knowledge - the only prevention measure for humans is by chlorhexidine. However, it is useless if used with normal toothpaste that contains sodiumlaurilsuphonat (anionic surfactant, a sort of soap). Many people do use chlorhexidine (mouthwash) and brush by normal toothpaste - which is wasting time and money. The same applies for alcohol-based mouthwash which ends up in drying gums and damaging the normal mouth bacteria. So i avoid alcohol-based mouthwash - which is pretty much 90% of the brands in my home country. Chlorhexidine is never used more than 4 weeks.

I think similar precautions should be followed i ncase of cats. I do not know what sort of active substances contain the veterinary tooth care and I do not know how safe it is the chlorhexidine for cats. I do not recommend using it on cats, I just gave an example about how complicate things are.

Still, not clear scientific evidence of the biochemical mechanism, and I do not know whether is used in veterinary dental care.

Another effective way to prevent plaque is ultrasonic shower - this one can be used at home, but remember to keep the pump clean (add a teaspoon of vinegar every six months or so) - otherwise there is simple shower - thus not effective. Expect some 100 USD or more for a good ultrasonic shower (at least these are the prices in my country, maybe they a bit lower in USA, I do not know).

There is unpleasant feeling caused by ultrasonic shower, I doubt a cat will allow ultrasonic showering. I do not have personal experience in using mine on my cat. :-). Side note: ultrasonic shower is a water shower, but not all water showers are ultrasonic devices :-).

In conclusion I suspect that tartar prevention and removal for cats at home is only marketing.

===

How tartar can be prevented then? Looking how the Mother Nature does this: crack bones - this will do a sort of "gum fitting" and stimulate salivation. Cats are predators, but chewing cans content does not equal cracking bones.

Drink tap water after meals (I do not know any other good and simple piece of advice neglected so massively that this one!) - for cats this translates in having fresh water available. Fresh means fresh.

Fats in the meals is good as well. I recently read that thirst is triggered by fat and Nathrium. Both are present in natural food (humans' and cats' alike), but for mysterious reasons, humans avoid salt (which of course is explicable in renal disease, but not for everybody). Sufficient water is a must for mouth and teeth as well. But cats do not drink just because they want (no willingness, just a reflex).

===
A final note: stress matter!
I know a case: one guy found his teeth on the pillow next morning to a very stressful personal situation. That is paradontosis! No joke. Can the cats be stressed? From my knowledge, yes!
My vet gave me a chlorhexidine rinse to use for several weeks after my cat’s teeth cleaning.