Advice For Kitty With Gingivitis?

hmckinney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

So Madonna has been struggling the past few months. We found out she had hookworms that had gotten her underweight. Once we got rid of those and on some better flea meds, we've been trying to get her weight to back up. She gained a pound, but she doesn't appear to have gained since. She has gingivitis, and the last time I brought it up to the vet he said there was nothing to worry about. But she's still underweight and I don't see her eating a lot, to be honest. So I bought some subscription high calorie wet food and every time I open a can she SEEMS really hungry but only licks at it. Tonight I cut it up into little bits and she finally actually ate some, but not much. At some point she was chewing and made a sound that really sounded like pain.

So I looked up dental cleanings on cats and the estimate I got was around $300. I can't afford this until mid-February (i just switched jobs and it's taking forever to actually get paid), so I was wondering how to get Madonna through the next month? I thought about buying kitten formula and blending in her high calorie cat food and some high calorie gel and giving that to her to lick up between the wet food meals.

I'm just super worried about her.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
in addition to the kitten formula, will she eat canned pate, maybe with tuna juice or goat milk or Pedialyte mixed in?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For my stomatitis cat, I used to make a mush for him roughly based on "duck soup" recipes used for pet ferrets. I mashed up half a can of canned food (a nice smooth pate works best; I used Royal Canin Babycat), half a jar of chicken baby food, and enough water or KMR (when he was getting really skinny) to make it soupy. He never had any trouble lapping that up, and seemed to enjoy the taste too.

Try PlaqueOff. It's cheap enough that it's worth a try (not $50+ like some dental supplements!) and it seems to be helping my boy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hmckinney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thank you everyone for the advice!

i started feeding her Royal Canin Babycat per W Willowy and she LOVES it. i've been feeding her three times a day with it and she eats almost all of it eagerly. i also started giving her formula with pedialyte mixed in twice a day (but she loves this less. doesn't drink much of it but enough to matter)

i'm going to try the plaqueoff too!