Advice for adopting out a special needs kitten

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
(Please move this to a different forum if appropriate, I was unsure where to post).

Hi! I'm looking for advice on adopting out a special needs kitten. She is about 6 months old and she has hydronephrosis which caused her to have cystitis for a long time. She came home with me after that and I fostered her for 2 months. She is doing much better now, recently had her kidneys and urine checked and both tests were great! No blood in her urine now. So now that she is getting a bit healthier, she is going to be available for adoption. To be honest, I think she needed some mental and emotional stimulation/healing rather than being stuck at the hospital for as long as she was.

Are there some strategies and tips for adopting out a special needs kitten? Its possible she may need surgery later in life as she has a congenital abnormality which causes her hydronephrosis (it is not caused by a blockage, but a narrowing of her ureter) and one of her kidneys is enlarged. I'd like to be upfront with adopters so they know what they are getting into. She will likely need special food the rest of her life as well as frequent vet checks to monitor her kidney function and an owner/parent who knows what signs to watch for that would be indicative of her problem arising again. (So, in my ideal situation, an experienced cat owner...)

She is SUPER sweet, love cuddles and sleeping in bed with me at night, very playful and runs around the house getting her "crazies" out. So there would be NO problem adopting her out without her health issues. Any tips or advice from people who have done this before? Thanks!

Edit: I love her so much, I'd keep her but my 12 year old Amber would NOT like that as she does not like other kitties and they've been separated for 2 months' despite my best efforts to introduce them slowly.

Last edited:

iwilltakethem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly i would keep this one kitten. I hve dealt with cats that would rather kill each other then get along but with enough stern guidance and treats they have all done what i asked and we had a happy home. Im just concerned that she wont adjust well to another new enviornment and it will aggitate her medical condition.
But if rehoming is a must you cannot just put her in a crate and send her off to a new place. Her adopter needs to come over and connect with her beforehand. I cannot stress this enough. Happy healthy kittens readjust very well, sick kittens are more scared and reserved then that. Establishing a relationship will go a long way to a sucessful adoption. The absolute worst thing that could happen is that she gets somewhere new and then has to be returned cause something didnt work out. Also keep an eye out for houses with other exisiting pets. I dont know how social she is but a single cat home would probably be best for her espcially since she hasnt had any real interaction with your other cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As much as I'd love to be able to keep her, its just not an option. Its stressing out my cat to be shut out of a room and she can smell the foster kitten through the door. I can tell a noticeable behavior change in her and she's lost weight in the time the foster kitten has been here. I am really concerned about my own cat's health and wellbeing. She has always disliked other cats so I can't see it working out. I am confident we will find her a great home, though, but I was hoping for some tips from people who've adopted out special needs cats before. The shelter she is from adopted out a kitten last year who had a severe eye issue which led to removal of the eye, and he is doing great in his home. 

This foster kitten also had ringworm for a long time which went away and came back, and she passed it to me as well, so ideally she's not able to go anywhere til its gone again. I actually think she would love a home with another pet as when she's been at the shelter in isolation she paws at the windows and watches the other animals and tries to get out and play with them. She's never shown any fear of my cat, she is very inquisitive and seems to want to play with here despite my cat wanting nothing to do with her. I'd like for her to go to a foster home that has pets before she gets adopted to see how she does, but something tells me she would just love another cat or dog friend.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a cat rescue group, and have adopted out plenty of special needs cats.

The key is an excellent and creative bio, and great photos of her.

The best bios I have found to be those that are from the cat's words, what she would say.

Keep it positive, as she would see herself, not gloomy or that she is sick per se, but that this IS part of the package, and her trade-off being her devotion to be the best companion, foot warmer and friend ever.

Some take longer than others, but there are tons of kind hearted people who instinctively have the need to feel needed. 

I know here in the states there is a place that will pay for surgery needed for an adoptable pet, not sure if there are any like this in Canada but worth looking in to.

kittylove14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
people do like cats with stories, and to hear what she has been through may be helpful. adopting this cat would be truely rewarding, i'm thinking single cat home where financially down the road could support her with care.

iwilltakethem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, i am so sorry for your cat. I hope she gets to feeling better soon and the adoptors cone quickly so the kitten can find a new home.
You're very right, its not only unfair to your cat but its become unhealthy for the kitten to be kept with her. I pray for a speedy adoption to wonderful owners and that I your cat will recover from this experience quickly.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@catwoman707  - Yes, I have some great photos of her and I plan to write a great bio up. Once  people meet her in person I think they will absolutely fall in love.... she's such a loving girl. Perfect for peope who want a fun and cuddly kitten. Thanks for your advice :)

@Kittylove14  -  that is true, good insight! she does have an interesting background for sure. She has already cost quite a lot of money, so definitely a home where that won't be an issue would be great.

@iwilltakethem   - yes, I hope so too! thanks. I have tried just about everything for her (slow intros, feliway, natural calming supplements, etc.) short of putting her on antidepressants/anti-anxiety meds which I am just not willing to do, so the foster kitty does need to go soon, I just feel terrible about it but I am very worried about my own kitty. I feel certain we will find an adopter, but I think it might take some time. I am looking into finding alternate care for her after Christmas but its going to break my heart to say goodbye to her! She's just so sweet. <3

Here is a photo of the little foster kitty - 

iwilltakethem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is just the cutest thing right? Oh man idk where yu are but if yu were close to San antonio I'd have a kennel for her in a heartbeat, I run a small scale rescue. I have 15 cats and two mini pinchers right now.
Its crazy like the whole back room of my house is kennels. But two of the rooms are meet n greet rooms and the rest of my house is open to them. I really only feel the need to kennel new arrivals or when adopters come to see a specific one. Or like weekly when the cleaning ladies come (definite necessity, as much as I love animals, I can't stand their stink lol).

Your girl is special though, it won't be long till someone is lucky enough to get to take her home. But really at this point I dont think you should try to get them together anymore. If its a sure thing she's going soon then its better to not add anymore stress seeing that your cat reacts so negatively to it.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw thanks @iwilltakethem! I know she is so gorgeous...she's going to break my heart when she leaves. But it breaks my heart more to think she was almost euthanized due to her issues. She sleeps in bed with me every night and is very good about quieting down for bedtime. I am all the way in Canada...I am sure we will find someone to adopt her, she's so lovable. Your rescue sounds lovely! You should be commended, I'd love to have a similar thing at my home someday! Keep up the good work 

iwilltakethem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love doing rescue work. Even though its really hard and costs a lot, at least 90% of the funding a have comes from money I make working. But there is nothing better then helping an animal that needs someone to care. I just wish I could do more. I think if I could get donations like some big rescue all the good work I could do. Like I could actually take care of animals like they should be on a large scale.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love doing rescue work. Even though its really hard and costs a lot, at least 90% of the funding a have comes from money I make working. But there is nothing better then helping an animal that needs someone to care. I just wish I could do more. I think if I could get donations like some big rescue all the good work I could do. Like I could actually take care of animals like they should be on a large scale.
You are exactly the kind of person I look for to become a valued member of my rescue group, maybe even a board member to help run it too.

Ever thought of doing that?

Rescues, whether lg or small value dedicated compassionate people who won't burn out or flake, in it for the long term commitment.

A non-profit rescue group I mean.

This will enable you to help many, many more without it coming out of your pocket.

Last edited:

iwilltakethem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to work with a few different organizations but I couldn't keep working with them. I had an issue cause I get very invested in the animals and I had serious problems with the uncaring attitude everyone else had. Dont get me wrong cause its not like I'm against euthenasia but its a necessary thing only for the sickest, most injured animals that wouldn't make a recovery or that would have a seriously limited to horrible quality of life. But with working with other rescues I would see them empty it there kennels a to easy s twice a month usuing it.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to work with a few different organizations but I couldn't keep working with them. I had an issue cause I get very invested in the animals and I had serious problems with the uncaring attitude everyone else had. Dont get me wrong cause its not like I'm against euthenasia but its a necessary thing only for the sickest, most injured animals that wouldn't make a recovery or that would have a seriously limited to horrible quality of life. But with working with other rescues I would see them empty it there kennels a to easy s twice a month usuing it.
That's disgusting and goes against everything rescues are supposed to be about.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd have to put those so-called rescues on full blast with social media, anywhere possible. 

That is not a rescue, how upsetting!

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update - she was adopted a week after being put up for adoption by a wonderful loving couple who will provide for her every need!! She is doing very well at home with them. <3

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Just wanted to update - she was adopted a week after being put up for adoption by a wonderful loving couple who will provide for her every need!! She is doing very well at home with them. <3
Wonderful news!!!

Thanks for the great update!