Advice Appreciated!!

amjswj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all - I have been working with a feral cat for the past 6 months. He showed up in our barn last October, and it's been a long process of getting him from hiding under a board in the back corner, to moving into the warm office part of the building, to getting him to eat regularly, use his litter box, play with toys and respond to my voice with meowing. Yesterday, I finally was able to catch him and get him to the vet for a complete checkup. He's a neutered male in good health and he did have a chip registered. I called the owners. They live in a ranch a few miles from our house, and this cat was apparently one of their 'working cats'. They hardly even remembered him, and said that we could keep him. Yea!! They got him as a kitten but thought he was feral and never made any attempt to work with him.
I brought him into the house after his vet appointment. He has a small bathroom to himself, with a nice bed, a cat tree, food, water, and his toys. I fed him last night and he came close. I was able to pet him for the first time, and he seemed so happy... asking for lots of pets, rolling over, letting me pet his whole body, although he did get a bit overstimulated and bit me. Not too bad. He still tries to hide behind his cat tree, however. He will not respond to my husband at all. My question is this: now what? What are some good next steps to keep the socialization going and get him all the way there, if possible? He seems like a good cat who really didn't like being outdoors. When I found him, he was very thin and starving...trying to eat corn kernels out of the dirt. He isn't a hunter, as he's scared to death of small birds. Do you all with experience have some advice for good next steps? Do you think this is on the right track?? Thank you!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Absolutely on the right track, and bless your heart!!
...I was reminded of a baby crow, just barely at the pinfeather stage, blown out of a tree. On my way to the rehabber I (carefully) let my boy have a sniff. Turns out there was NO cause for caution. He basically sniffed, backed up, sat down and looked at me as if to say "what IS this thing??!) LOL

I don't know if this is your first cat, but just in case;

First-time Cat Owner's Guide

Try just sitting on the floor, this goes for both of you, for a while and read aloud. Otherwise go about your regular routines and ignore him. Mainly, don't look directly at him, eye contact can be intimidating for some cats.

He needs the emotional space to work things out :)

Also try Musicforcats . com or classical harp music.

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

How To Help An Abused Cat Recover

You already know about your baby, but for informational purposes;
A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

The part about him trying to eat corn out of the dirt... geez I'm glad he has you! He's like a poster kitty for proof that house cats don't easily adapt to the outdoor life/outside world.

Adopting A Stray Cat

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He still tries to hide behind his cat tree, however. He will not respond to my husband at all. My question is this: now what? What are some good next steps to keep the socialization going and get him all the way there, if possible?
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

It is pretty normal for a cat to be more responsive to a hooman than the other especially one that has been around and feeding them and talking to them. They are usually more used to the caregiver as they have already put their trust in them.

It does not mean that the cat would not response to your husband but it takes time. Since its an outside stray/feral, who has gotten used to you first over time, it's the same that it'll take time for the cat to get used to your husband.

Get your husband to feed him, talk to him and have interaction with the cat so that the cat knows that he's part of the of taking care of him. In other words, do what you are doing now. It just takes time and don't give up. Maintain the same routine. Have him go low and slow while approaching the cat and letting him get use to your husband's scent. Remember, as with all, love, patience and routine rules the day.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
When I got married, Jamie (cat, not husband) was very shy around Robert (husband, not cat). Robert desperately wanted him to be his friend and I told him that he would have to take time, go slow, interact, give food....no other way really as has been stated. Now they are best friends; in fact, Jamie seems more attached in some ways to Robert. In your case, the cat you rescued, who I might add is so incredibly lucky to have found you, was just rescued and brought home very recently if I am reading this correctly. I had Jamie for 2 years before getting married, although he knew my husband from the time that I rescued him (cat, not husband). They were at least acquainted, but even at that there was a lead in time that Jamie made the decision to be his friend. We think that it was the fact that my husband comes home at different hours than I do and when he does he gives Jamie a treat or some food, so he associate wellbeing with him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amjswj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for this excellent advice. Our new kitty has been inside for1 week now, and following these suggestions you would not believe the progress he has made! He now hears me coming and waits at the door. He loves pets and can't get enough. I have even been able to pick him up and hold him, and he rolls over so I can scratch his belly. I can't believe it! He is slowly allowing my husband to get closer. He is now able to pet him without being hissed at. He is such a sweet cat that his new name is 'sweet pea'.
How long before I introduce him to our other cats-- how do I know if he is ready to start that process? Thank you!!

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awesome! I recommend getting a couple of the feliway plug ins too. Keep one in the bathroom and one out in the area with your other cats. They sell them on amazon and they really help calm things down.