Advice 6 month old Kitten wont Leave 5 Year old Cat alone

Lizziec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 6 month old kitten Orson will not leave our 5 year old Cat Leela alone and I do not know what to do. We introduced them properly kept them separated slowly got them used to each other and it was fine for the first little bit. Leela doesnt really want much to do with Orson and at first he seemed respectful of her warnings but now he doesn't care at all. He's constantly attacking her, he will just full tilt run to her tackle her and bite. Leela of course freaks out and hisses and runs which seems to just encourage him. I have tried putting him in timeouts when he does this, I'll say no and put him in the bathroom for a few minutes, but as soon as I let him out he attacks her again. I have feliway diffusers all over out house but those don't seem to help at all. We do have some higher up spots for Leela to escape to but she doesn't want to use them. I play with the kitten constantly (as does my husband he works from home) but Orson will be playing and see Leela and just attack her. When it looks like Orson is going to attack Leela I will tell him to "be nice' and he will kinda redirect himself, he knows that he shouldn't be and I feel like I have to watch him like a hawk. Unfortunately this is causing a stress IBS response in Leela and I am really starting to worry about her. We love Orson but he is driving me crazy. I am running out of ideas on how to redirect his energy. He does get neutered next week on Tuesday and I hope this helps chill him out but I have read that it doesn't always.

Attachments

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he wants to play with her but she is not receptive, Kittens just naturally want to play with other Cats.

It may sound counter intuitive but another Kitten may help redirect his energy onto something that actually wants to play with him.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Hopefully neutering will help some, but like you said, you can't always count on that. However, Orson is maturing, so some of his insistent behavior is likely due to hormones. I think picking him up, saying a firm 'no' and putting him in time out - as it seems you are doing - is your best bet. But, that might mean that is all you spend your time doing for several days in a row, if not longer. You can't give up just because he continues to do it. Animals have an uncanny knack of being more persistent with their desires than we humans are - and they seem to instinctively know it!!

Another option: Have you tried a good sized kicker toy and distracting him with that? Maybe one with a pouch for cat nip or another cat attractant? If he has something else to jump on he might eventually prefer that to Leela. Or, you could also buy some automated toys that you could turn on for him to see if that would distract him from her when he appears ready to pounce. You might also consider moving Leela to a higher spot in case she hasn't figured out that might be a way to get away from him - as long as you are sure she can safely get down from them on her own.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It isn’t at all unusual for a kitten to pester the heck out of an adult cat. There seems to be a built in instinct with an adult cat to not hurt a kitten and consequently they get away with being little terrors. However, as the kitten reaches adulthood many adult cats start letting the kitten know what is unacceptable with hisses, slaps and bites. So you may see your adult cat’s behavior changing in the coming months and she will start standing up and putting him in his place. She can do far more than you can to change his behavior.

For now I would not discipline him for acting like a kitten. Instead you can distract him with a toy or a treat when your older cat needs a break.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a A Tail As Old As Time except that, unfortunately, Beauty and the Beast are not likely to actually get together. Things should improve a great deal with the passage of some time though. I completely agree with Susan and am not sure that one can (or even should) teach a kitten not to play rough. It is of course better if the kitten is more moderate, and if the older cat is willing to play a bit. Sometimes a kitten and a 5 year old works out well -- I have this age combo myself and they get a long fine! However, your situation is also quite common. Anytime you add a kitten with a cat that is much older than two years of age, there is some chance of this exact type of problem. There isn't much you can do except give the older cat some closed door love now and then, and distract the kitten to give the older cat some relief when you can. Distraction when its is convenient to you is fine - I just wouldn't have the illusion that you can teach or otherwise change the kitten's behavior.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think the reason for a bit more intervention in this case is because L Lizziec is concerned about Leela's IBS flaring up from the stress brought on by Orson's behavior. Given that, some boundary setting is in order for Orson for the time being - until he matures more and/or until/if Leela decides to stand her ground. Only Leela's owner knows if the latter is even possible.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All good advice my daughter had the same problem with her two cat's. They are pals now the youngest has grown and getting the kitten done hopefully will help. It did calm her boy down. I would only go down the route of another kitten as a last resort because of your girl's IBS it could stress her more.