Adventures With The Felv Fosters

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Here’s a link to my new thread, Three Feral Mommas
Three Feral Mommas

A quick question, I just copied the address and pasted it here, but how do I do it so that it shows the title if the thread instead of the whole address?
I can just see the title. It looks like the whole address when you first C&P, but the system changes it to the title after you post.

;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fino is growing up to be such a fine, strong kitty boy. He is the peacemaker of the group, everyone allows him to rub against them and play with them. He is always there to play with me or roll in my lap for pets. I’m so lucky to be his human.
0E44AA29-EFFC-42B4-BEC6-1296B7F7AAA4.jpeg

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
And he certainly knows how to pose! :cloud9:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What an absolutely fun toy! Did you ever order the Vit C supplement from Dr. Belfied?

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
shadowsrescue shadowsrescue I did get the vitamin C, and his book and the other supplement he recommends to accompany the vitamin C. Then my life turned into chaos and I have not been ready to add complications.
One of the difficulties is that I have no practical way of feeding the cats separately and so dosage is as issue. To determine dosage you increase it until the cat gets diarrhea and back off from there. It would take hours to feed and days to determine dosage and then each cat would have to be fed individually forever and that's just not going to work. Also if the cat gets the vitamin C and begins to test negative and you stop the vitamin C then the book says the cat will go back to testing positive. So that would be very unethical to get a cat to test negative and adopt it out only to have it turn positive when the new owner does not give it vitamin C.
At this time we are not having any herpes flare ups, which is great. Bette continues to have occasional mucus diarrhea and Harley has a sore on his back that he won't leave alone. Other than that they are all very healthy and active with clean, glossy coats so maybe I don't need to worry about trying to improve things for now.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
shadowsrescue shadowsrescue I did get the vitamin C, and his book and the other supplement he recommends to accompany the vitamin C. Then my life turned into chaos and I have not been ready to add complications.
One of the difficulties is that I have no practical way of feeding the cats separately and so dosage is as issue. To determine dosage you increase it until the cat gets diarrhea and back off from there. It would take hours to feed and days to determine dosage and then each cat would have to be fed individually forever and that's just not going to work. Also if the cat gets the vitamin C and begins to test negative and you stop the vitamin C then the book says the cat will go back to testing positive. So that would be very unethical to get a cat to test negative and adopt it out only to have it turn positive when the new owner does not give it vitamin C.
At this time we are not having any herpes flare ups, which is great. Bette continues to have occasional mucus diarrhea and Harley has a sore on his back that he won't leave alone. Other than that they are all very healthy and active with clean, glossy coats so maybe I don't need to worry about trying to improve things for now.
It is very challenging to be sure that each cat gets the right amount. I only was giving it to one cat and he was a chow hound. I did have to get creative as the dosage increased as the sour taste bothered him. I had to mix it with really stinky fishy food. I can see how hard this would be for you. Also it is a life long regime.

So glad that everyone is doing so well and no herpes flares right now. One of my boys is in the middle of a herpes flare now. It's a combination of our recent move and the change in the weather. I just add a lysine chewy vitamin to his diet and it has improved. This is the first time in years I have needed to do something other than the DMG.

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also got the dmg and am putting some in the food mix everyone gets. Some will get more than others but it’s not very much in total so hopefully no problems with that. Thank you for discussing all of this with me. I can read about all kinds of things but to be able to talk to the people here who have tried things is much more valuable.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've managed to find another supplier who will ship the DMG to Japan. Ordered a big $80 bottle, hope it's a plastic one.

Even though I've had Happy on another L-lysine I've noticed that her health has deteriorated since she stopped taking the DMG.

It could be seasonal I suppose, the forestry commission are felling about a mile uphill from here and even my eyes are watery. shadowsrescue shadowsrescue do you give that to your cats all the time or just when they have a flare-up?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've managed to find another supplier who will ship the DMG to Japan. Ordered a big $80 bottle, hope it's a plastic one.

Even though I've had Happy on another L-lysine I've noticed that her health has deteriorated since she stopped taking the DMG.

It could be seasonal I suppose, the forestry commission are felling about a mile uphill from here and even my eyes are watery. shadowsrescue shadowsrescue do you give that to your cats all the time or just when they have a flare-up?
I give it only during a flare. Right now I am using Vetri Science Lysine chews
Vetri Lysine Plus Bite-Sized Chews by VetriScience
I give two a day for a few days and then back down to one when he starts to improve. I will keep him on it for about 2 weeks.

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
7F81C996-9C84-4509-8577-32F3C98349B5.jpeg
D74E4461-304F-4291-B0B3-012C36C1E017.jpeg
My wonderful yard man pointed out to me some branches that had died in my curly willow cluster. He was so great, cutting them down and trimming them to fit into the various outdoor enclosures. I love the way they look and was so excited for the added enrichment. That was two days ago and I have yet to see any cats on them.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Very nice! It will take them a while to pluck up the courage to climb them. 2 days is about how long it takes my cats to attempt to climb anything new. Do they move around at all? They like things to be pretty stable. Sprinkling a bit of catnip on things usually helps.

I'm in the middle of making a climbing tree from some trimmed branches right now. I love the fact that it's free, natural and recycled. It beats having to burn all the dead wood.

:hangin:

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
944705B6-8C58-44EA-8D74-23C2020C16D9.jpeg
Sorry I have not been here in a while, I am consumed with the Feral mamas and their kittens right now. But thankfully there is very little to report on the FELV fosters. Everyone seems quite healthy. In fact I just recently realized that these cats have better coats than my own cats in general. I attribute it to the canned food, which my own cats refuse to eat.
Norachan Norachan i would love to see a picture of the climbing structure you mentioned, I have only seen one cat, young and bold Fino, on the branches I gave them. But they are so pretty and add a natural touch to the enclosures so they make me happy.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi SheriB SheriB I was just thinking of you! I've been crazy busy all week and I've missed a lot of updates. I'm glad to hear everything is going well.

Finally got that cat tree finished this week. I'm really happy with how it's turned out, but I think I might put some sisal rope around it to make it easier for the cats to climb up.

TreeHouse35.jpg
TreeHouse42.jpg
TreeHouse43.jpg
TreeHouse44.jpg
TreeHouse45.jpg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you mani mani

Happy loves to climb! When she first turned up she was so weak she had to haul herself up onto things, but now she bounces around like a little bunny.

:bunnydance:

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Beautiful cat tree Norachan Norachan ! I love the slices of log for the platforms. And those lucky cats seem to like your creation too.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you mani mani

Happy loves to climb! When she first turned up she was so weak she had to haul herself up onto things, but now she bounces around like a little bunny.

:bunnydance:
She's also looking a lot more, um, Rubenesque...:lovecat4: