Adventures In Catsitting

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the next week, while the bf is on vacation with one of his friends, his cat is staying with me and Lelia. Eventually they will be sisters, so we figure it's good practice for them. We did this once before in October and after a bit they were able to tolerate each other. Lelia is bigger and more confident now so we'll see if it can happen again or I'll give up and put S back in the bf's apartment and visit her every day instead.

I'm hoping for a repeat of this, however.
20171018_195557_Burst01.jpg

Wish me luck.

Now, onto the show!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first 24 hours have been stressful. S wasn't brought over when I expected her to be and even though I always plan to do a slow intro, the bf just lets her out. So there's hissing, chasing, a bit of swatting and growling, but at least the tails weren't as puffy as last time. And they can eat next to each other with no issues.

Middle of the night, I end up closing Lelia out of the room (I'd have rather closed her in and S out, but I tempted with a bit of kibble and S is much more food motivated). There was scratching at the door but I was finally able to sleep.

S got to spend the day in my room again while I was at work. I left her cat bed out for Lelia and put Lelia's in for her for scent and left them eating on both sides of the bedroom door. S was not happy and was nice enough to vomit on my rug, but I wanted them separated while I was at work.

After their dinner there were more stand offs, but finally Lelia settled on the cat tree and S on her cat bed on the couch. And then Lelia wanted to play so we're playing cat catcher in my room where there's not as much space, but I don't want S to get riled up again.

20180202_204427.jpg

Hopefully they stay calmer and I get more sleep tonight. :sleep:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want to jinx things, but there's been at least a half hour now without hissing or chasing. Lelia stayed in my room overnight because I needed sleep and S got the rest of the apartment. I remembered that I had a feliway diffuser and plugged it in last night.

I'm going to have to leave for several hours later and I'm not ready to leabe them together when I'm gone yet, but things are looking up.

Here's them eating this morning:
20180203_090748.jpg

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Docs Mom Docs Mom one of my coworkers said they look alike, too. I don't see it at all! I mean they both have black and white on their fur, but Lelia is longer and leaner and S is more cobby and has a rounder face!

S always finishes her food first and tries to stare down Lelia to get her to leave so she can have the extra. I put Lelia and her bowl in my room to finish. I really do think at such time as the bf and I move in together, I'm going to have to invest in one of those microchip feeders.

Did get them both get to play with da bird so that's a plus. Lelia still is puffing her tail up which is a minus. But it's slowly improving!

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lari Lari , Speedy sends a big hug to her friend Lelia and to pretty S! Speedy also says for the two cats to get along, or else ........Speedy will have to make a trip there to speak to each of these beautiful cats personally.

The photo of Lelia and S eating - they look calm but I wonder if they are each thinking, " please don't come over here and look at my food".

Seriously, though Lari Lari , I am so glad these cats have so much love and care from you. Good luck to all and I hope you get some good sleep, and the cats, too.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you know how a puffy tail means "stay away?" This morning, Lelia kept puffing her tail out at S and then coming over and head butting my leg which is her way of saying "pet me". So of course I had to. I guess she doesn't blame me for this strange cat in her territory.

S occasionally is cornering her and then swiping/chasing, which is super annoying. They did both get on the cat tree at the same time earlier for two whole minutes!
20180204_192738.jpg

Tomorrow I have a meeting after school and won't get home until around 8. I let them both have free reign of the house last night and today when I went to the gym and grocery store, but I'm a little nervous about so many hours without supervision.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So the cats have been behaving pretty well. And then I got on a conference call about the math lesson I'm teaching tomorrow that teachers from other schools are coming to watch. I unmute and start talking and they decide that's the perfect time to have a hissing/swiping/running/mrowing ruckus. Oy vey.

They don't seem to understand the cat tree is big enough for both of them, either. Lelia just climbed to the top and swatted at S to get off. Apparently it's a one at a time thing.

I don't know how people with lots of cats do it. Two is plenty crazy right now! It'll be nice when I have my only again. :petcat:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how people with lots of cats do it. Two is plenty crazy right now! It'll be nice when I have my only again. :petcat:

"Two," is actually the root of the problem here, Lari Lari - each cat has only one other cat upon whom to take out their aggressions. As clowders grow in size and mature in age, interactive bonds between various pairs, and amongst various "sets" of cats are more easily formed simply because the cats have a range of companions rather than a single choice.

When you were a kid, and came inside on a blisteringly hot Summer day and asked Mom for a Popsicle, there were usually various flavours in the box. Now and then, however, there was just one left. Whatever the flavour might have been - because you had no choice - you did NOT want that Popsicle. You HATED that flavour, and would rather eat Brussels Sprouts than to take that last Popsicle.

The difference between kids and cats is all in the presence or absence of tails. The answer here is simple: you need more cats.

;)

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I am only allowed two cats in my apartment and I am a law abiding citizen. Who likes brussel sprouts. :p

Maybe if the bf and I ever buy a house, more cats can come in. I don't expect these two to ever become friends with their age difference. I'm just hoping for tolerance.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 217606

S decided to come sit on my lap. Lelia's expression cracks me up. Like "hey, what are you doing?"

You snooze you lose, I guess.
I know Lari Lari , Lelia's expression is just awesome and priceless. Like she is thinking "Are you really, really doing something without me"? As you know, :hearthrob: I think Lelia is one of the prettiest cats I've ever seen!!! I remember first meeting her when she was an official gingerbread house decorator and expert! You are a super cat Mom Lari Lari and babysitter!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't expect these two to ever become friends with their age difference. I'm just hoping for tolerance.
Lari Lari - Yeah - that's what I said when Moo Shu came in and first met Peanut. He'd been the alpha cat for just about fifteen years at that point, and as far as he was concerned, every other new cat was exactly like that last Popsicle in the box. DO. NOT. WANT.

As for Moo Shu - well we all know what she is. I just hoped there wouldn't be Mutually Assured Destruction.

peanutandmooshu.jpg

Per angusta ad augusta.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night around midnight I was sleeping and heard this terrible noise under my bed. I thought for sure it must be S but I turned on the light and it was Lelia. :frown: She just looked so sad and scared and I don't know what happened. She wouldn't come out, though I lifted up the bed a bit to make her move because I was afraid she was stuck. Then I closed the door and put some kibble in her bowl and brought it in because I'm not sure she's been eating enough. Within ten minutes I heard her eating and she ended up sleeping on my legs like normal. I brushed her a bit this morning and she doesn't look injured, but I'd never heard that noise from her before and I just felt so worried and sick and wasn't sure how to make her feel better.

I wish I knew what had happened.

She appears to be sleeping on the blanket on the couch right now looking at my security camera. But I just want to go home and play with her. :(