adult spayed cat suddenly trying to escape the house

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello, my cat is 2.5 years old, female. spayed when she was 4.5 months old (i had her when she was 3 months old)

when she was kitten she always tried escaping through the door even after being spayed for up until she was maybe 10 months old, but she calmed down.

now, all of a sudden she is trying to get outside like crazy, she already managed to escape yesterday for 50 minutes! after ripping the weak screen that we had for over a year and always opened without her trying to get out, thank god she remind in the yard and cats attacked her (big yard surrounding the house and she spent the whole time sniffing around as we seen on cctv and returned on her own when we realized and tried to catch her) today she managed to get out through an open window without a screen (we don't do that usually but she sized the chance) but we got to her in five minutes

and the whole day she just want to get outside whenever someone nears the door

what is happening to her? she doesn't show any in heat signs incase there was remaining tissues except for trying to escape of course, and she has been a bit aggressive with our other cat that she usually tolerate, yes she allowed her today to sleep on her of a few hours, but when she tries to go the door and resume her escaping attempts and the other cat follow her she gets pissed and hiss and smack her (without using claws)

anyone have any idea?

we have cats the we feed in the yard, and some nasty cat pied on our door, could that be the reason?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
and some nasty cat pied on our door, could that be the reason?
Hi, yes absolutely, although that's not the cat being nasty, it's normal behavior of a territorial statement.

Clean the spray area with an enzymatic cleaner. Since you're feeding outside cats, I can't give many suggestions except maybe try spraying some small pieces of material with lemon scented furniture spray and leave those around the close perimeter of the house.

Also try calming products for her, and Cat Music too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Likely a form of re-directed aggression (in regard to her lashing out at your other cat), and pretty much resulting from one of the cats that have entered your yard that is causing the overall reaction to her wanting to go outside.

Aside from the suggestions above, try moving the area where you feed the other cats farther away from the house. Also, for now, block her ability to access/look out relative windows and doors.
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door – TheCatSite Articles
Re-directed Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
and cats attacked her
i mean NO cats attacked her

thank you for the replies already started with enzymatic cleaner, still hoping for more inputs

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try containing her in a couple of rooms away from the front door where you go in and out, for a while until she calms down..

Also, have you fixed the screens?

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd start feeding the outdoor cats on the edge of your property, far from any windows the cats can see out of. Girl cats do seem a bit more territorial than boy cats and she probably wants to defend her territory from invaders.