Adult coloring books

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mum very kindly bought me a new box of pencils from a tiny local art shop today - Derwent Inktense. They're different shades to my other Derwent pencils, which is lovely, but I'm not finding them a great deal easier to use :( They were £40! I could have had a 48 box of Prismacolors for less money, and a 72 box for not a huge amount more :sigh: I much prefer supporting local shops where I can (my all time favourite shop in town has just closed due to a lack of business), but when its a lot of money AND the wrong/less good thing I feel bad...particularly when its a present. Oh well. There was no way of knowing without trying them, and the only way to try them is to buy them. :disa:

God, I sound like a spoilt, ungrateful brat.....

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Columbine, No way do you sound like a spoiled brat! You are a very kind, grateful person. It is disappointing when a gift does not live up to it's expectations.

Your mom is very thoughtful to even think of buying you a new set of pencils! 

I completed a colored page yesterday, not that I have not before. I am rather pleased with the results; especially since I started it the night of my surgery. Coloring is certainly part of my rehab, this week. 

If I remember, I will post it. 

I like the less cluttered pages....

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@Columbine  You don't sound spoiled at all! It's normal to sometimes not like a gift because it doesn't perform as it should, but it's not your fault at all. You're just being honest. One time my dad saw me with a small Robin (from Batman) figure I found in the market for like, $0.25 dlls, my dad thought I really liked that character so when he saw one he bought it and gave it me, turned out to be counterfeit, I was so sad for my dad, I mean, he found an item and spent his hard earned money on it FOR ME! and it turns out to be a counterfeit (as a collector I hate counterfeits of course). The paint was all wrong and smeared. I stripped the paint and will make a custom Robin with it, so fun!. That being said, it makes me no less grateful for the gift because it's from someone I love. There's a difference between gratitude and something being useful to us.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All these pictures are so pretty. I just don't have the time to color. When my daughter's were little we would sit and color for hours. My oldest still loves to color (with pencils now) and has some beautiful pictures. Everyone is so talented. I enjoy looking at the finished products.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What talented people on here :D I've been wanting to get an adult coloring book (I'll be honest, I bought a puppies & kittens kid one not too long ago from the $1 bin at Walmart). I have an "Adult coloring book" app on my phone, and some pages in the back of my planner, but haven't started on any yet.

Maybe a set of Prismacolors and a book should be one of my weight loss goal rewards :D

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@Tara G   If you have a book and app' already some nice soft pencils with good colours might be your best reward.  I've had one of my colouring books for a couple of years and what has really inspired me to get busy has been seeing what everyone else has been creating and how lovely the effects are with the pencils - and how easy they are to use compared to pens.

@Columbine   I like the look of that little book!   There is definitely something positive about having different sizes of designs to work on and options in terms of detail.  Those smaller mandelas look lovely.  What a shame the pencils you mother bought were not easier to use, it was such a nice gesture from her to pick them up for you like that  (and no you do not sound spoilt).  It is always great to have more colours but soft pencils which are easier on the hands would be magic.  From the reviews I've looked at the Derwent pencils equivalent ones look more expensive than the Prismacolor:   Derwent Coloursoft.  They are quite a bit dearer than the Prismacolor but the colours look lovely and they do sound similarly soft so easier on the hands.  I'm thinking I'll save up for them.  This was the cheepest UK price I found for them on line last night, not that either of us are in a position to go ordering them right now.  
     If your mother sees any of those ones cheep though.....    Of course not that I want everyone else running off and ordering them so they are out of stock when I do have enought cash.

@kntrygrl256, if you enjoyed colouring with your daughters, if you go for designs that are not too big or too detailed, like the ones in the little book Columbine linked in her last post, you don't need a lot of time to see results and 10 or 15 minutes doing something relaxing which you can emmerse yourself in might be a really great thing if you are finding you are rushing about everywhere!   Or even start to do it with your daughters again!  

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From the reviews I've read Prismacolor and Coloursoft are pretty even when it comes to quality, usability etc, but Prismacolor have the edge when it comes to number of shades. Having said that, I love the Derwent colours that I have. I find it amazing that there are almost no crossovers between the two tins!

I'm slowly getting the hang of the Inktense pencils. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not aiming for perfection, this is supposed to be fun, and I'm not aiming for professional standards! :lol3: :rolleyes::seesaw:

I think part of the problem is I always used to work with markers, and am looking to achieve a marker type colour saturation/finish with pencils, rather than treating them as a different medium. This is a piece I'm currently working on, using a mix of Inktense and Watercolour pencils. (and yes, the colours are a bit wild....brain isn't working today!)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow, I can't wait to see how you develop this one!   I love the colours you have so far.   You must be quite a perfectionist, I can't see anything other than detail and precision here!  

With the Derwent colours, from the colour chart I looked at last night I thought the blues in their full set looked particularly lovely.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're right - the Derwent blues are amazing :nod: I'll have to focus on them for one of these pieces. I did a cat silhouette in blues, but I wasn't too happy with how it came out.....you're right - i'm a TOTAL perfectionist. I think it comes from the years of music training....or maybe it just cause I'm crazy :lol3: :spin:

Thanks for the compliments, btw. :hugs:

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

No Kmart near me
$0.47 is a great price on the Prismacolor sharpener. The Kmart web site has the sharpener for $7.19
I have to go shopping anyways this weekend - tax free holiday 
No no, that one was not a Prismacolor sharpener, just a regular old double.  Sorry I wasn't more clear in that post.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMGosh, SO excited!  I had to go in to Staples for ink; and I always check the clearance bins.  There was this nice carry case of Prismacolor markers, set of 24, no labeling, no price.  I carried it around the store, could not find anything like it.  So I asked.

First, the associate walked back to the bins with me, to see where I found it.  He did locate a clearance tag for Prismacolor watercolors in a tin, marked down to $8.50.  None of those left (I am not ready to do watercolors anyway).  He took the carry case of markers, and the clearance tag, and went to ask the Manager.

I had to prevent my jaw from dropping when he returned; the Manager said I could have the set for the $8.50!    Here is a link on Amazon to what I got!

And here it is on Michael's web site, again, mine is the 24 count: https://www.michaels.com/prismacolor-premier-art-marker-set-chisel-fine/M10200103.html

Guess I am going to using markers in my coloring future!  HOLY MOLY I still can't believe this!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

OMGosh, SO excited!  I had to go in to Staples for ink; and I always check the clearance bins.  There was this nice carry case of Prismacolor markers, set of 24, no labeling, no price.  I carried it around the store, could not find anything like it.  So I asked.

First, the associate walked back to the bins with me, to see where I found it.  He did locate a clearance tag for Prismacolor watercolors in a tin, marked down to $8.50.  None of those left (I am not ready to do watercolors anyway).  He took the carry case of markers, and the clearance tag, and went to ask the Manager.

I had to prevent my jaw from dropping when he returned; the Manager said I could have the set for the $8.50!    Here is a link on Amazon to what I got!

And here it is on Michael's web site, again, mine is the 24 count: https://www.michaels.com/prismacolor-premier-art-marker-set-chisel-fine/M10200103.html

Guess I am going to using markers in my coloring future!  HOLY MOLY I still can't believe this!
Wow!!  You really gotta love it when things like that happen!! Congratulations!!! I hope you have fum coloring with them!! 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:winner: definitely Freedom Freedom ! :nod: I'm more than a little jealous though. I've been wanting to get a set of pens like that, but can't justify the cost. Enjoy using them, you lucky thing! :D

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks Kat0121 and Columbine.  And to think, a month ago I never HEARD of Prismacolor and would not have even bothered to pick up that case! 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

http://www.amazon.com/Prismacolor-Double-Ended-Carrying-Assorted-1776353/dp/B007L4MFS8/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1439471225&sr=1-1&keywords=prismacolor+markers+set

That's wonderful. What a deal. I hope they work well. Good luck.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Wow!!  You really gotta love it when things like that happen!! Congratulations!!! I hope you have fum coloring with them!! 
Talk about lucky!  

It shows what you can pick up if you look about and know something about what you're looking for too - I wouldn't have known what I was looking at without what I've learned on this thread either.   Those colours look NICE​! 
   I bet they're lovely to use.  Looking forward to seeing some of the results too.  Enjoy.  

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great find, Freedom

I'm not sure about the light blue on the gazebo. I wanted something more grayish but my set of Prismacolors doesn't have any

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure about the light blue on the gazebo. I wanted something more grayish but my set of Prismacolors doesn't have any
Nice work here, but it does sound like a little trip to check out those clearance bins is called for - hope you don't live too close to Freedom though or they might already have been cleared out of what you're looking for!  

BTW - I like the blue.