Adopting/socializing Adult Semi-feral

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loalar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your insights and advice! He was better yesterday, altho he still stood up and grabbed for my hand when I was using the back scratcher. But this time, there was no aggression or hostility at all. It almost seemed playful or like he wanted me to use my hand instead of the scratcher. You are probably right about him trying to work out his interactions with humans and learn to deal with his emotions. I did use a firm no with him a week or so ago, but then I was worried the tone might scare him so I stopped doing it and just started standing still until he calms down. I will go back to doing the firm no tho since it does sound helpful.

Thanks again!

loalar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think we may have hit another milestone yesterday. Prior to yesterday, he would eat everything like he didn't know when he would eat again. And when we would come in with food, he would eat all his food first, then come over to us afterwards. Yesterday, instead of eating his meal first, he came over for rubs, pets (I have progressed to a few pets with my hand between the back scratcher) and playtime first, then after he was tired of that, he ate his food. He's also now leaving food in the dish instead of eating every last crumb. I think he's finally realized that the food will keep coming. :hyper:

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EXCITING! :yess:
Oh this is awesome! It's so great that you are getting in some hand pets. He is progressing so fast. It sounds like he is really gaining confidence in you and his new home. I'm really happy for all of you.
His appointment is this week, isn't it? I've got my fingers crossed that it goes well. You guys are doing a fantasic job!
:thumbsup::woo::jive:

loalar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We couldn't get a vet appointment for tomorrow and between our work schedules, we can't find another time that works until Friday so Friday morning it is! I feel bad that we can't get him in tomorrow as I know he's probably getting a little stir crazy and lonely in his room by himself, but I'm also a little relieved as I can't help but think that after building up all the trust, he will feel betrayed by us stuffing him into a carrier and bringing him to get stabbed with a needle. :frown:

At any rate, today was another great day. I spent a decent amount of time petting him and scratching the back of his neck with my bare hand and he loved it. Lots of purrs. And less interested in treats than in pets and rubs. It's now been 4 days since his last little outburst. Today was all love. Even when I'm standing and walking very close to him, he hasn't been hissing or lashing out. He just tenses a little and becomes still and waits for the movement to stop. Then he's back to (dare I say it) showing affection by coming over and rubbing. I feel like I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel...

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi :wave3:
Just wondering how Bob is doing. I know his appointment is tomorrow. You must be excited and nervous at the same time. Do you think you will have any problems getting him into the carrier? I've got my fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly and that he gets a clean bill of health.:)
I know you have posted videos, but (if you can't tell) we LOVE pictures here so when you have time please post pics of Bob and your other babies!
Please let us know how the vet visit goes.
:goodluck:

loalar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for checking in! Bob is doing great! We've been petting him with bare hands more often and he has been purring a lot. Instead of racing for the food bowl, he runs over to us for pets and back scratches first. But he is still a bit skittish and if I make the mistake of moving the back scratcher over his head too quickly, he hits it and sometimes will hit my leg too letting me know he didn't like it. I've been doing the firm NO and he will back away, looking sheepish then he'll give me a soft chirpy meow like he's asking forgiveness. It's actually kind of cute.

I am sooooo nervous about tomorrow and can't wait for it to be over. A week ago, he was going into the carrier to sleep occasionally but stopped for some reason. I've been putting treats in the carrier and experimented with both catnip and feliway sprays but he'll just pop his head in to pull out the treats leaving his back side out of the carrier and come right back out. I think we are going to have to do the towel method of grabbing him which will be no fun for any of us! We'll be wearing gloves and layers and hoping he forgives us.

I don't have any fantastic photos of Bob yet, but here's my gallery of fur baby photos. In addition to Bob, I have two girls, Monet and Tabitha:

loalar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. I tried to add my media gallery to the last post but it didn't show up. Not sure how to do this!

loalar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG today could not have gone better! :hyper:I was able to get Bob to walk into his carrier by putting stinky wet food in the back. Closed it and covered it with a sheet. He didn't make a peep or fight me at all! Then the vet took him out, took all of 10 seconds to clip all his claws, carried him to the back to do the blood for the FIV/Felv test and gave him a check up. Bob did not hiss, snarl, growl, fight or anything at all. He was downright docile and better behaved than my other cats! And best of all, hallelujah he tested negative!!! :yess:I am going to sleep so well tonight. Brought him home and he's not acting mad at all. Still no hissing, swatting or anything. He came out of his carrier, climbed up his cat tree and he's now taking his normal daytime nap in front of the window. I just may do the same...

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm sooo happy! :bliss:
I was on pins and needles wondering how it would go. While I was at work today I kept sneaking looks on TCS to see your update. This was the best news and it made my day!
So, are you going to start the introduction process now? There are lots of articles on here about that if you need any tips. I would post links to them, but I'm not sure how. :dunno:
Again, so happy for all of you!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been following this thread, but don't think I've posted yet.
So just wanted to pop in and say congrats on Bob's uneventful vet visit. :dancingblackcat:

Also, thanks for caring for him while he was outside, and for deciding to bring him into your home. I bet he'll be a full-fledged couch potato cat in no time. :catlove:

loalar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both! And again, weebeasties thank you for being with me every step since I first posted and allowing me insight into your process with Rocky. So helpful!

I ended up spending much of the day with Bob after the vet visit. I was worried he would feel betrayed after building up the trust then being taken to the vet, but it's almost the opposite. He is more affectionate than ever. He spent a lot of time soaking up the pets, head butting my hand and foot and purring super hard while making biscuits and rolling over. His little face (or big face in his case) looks so sad when I leave tho. I can't wait for him to meet the others and have free roam of the house! (And Monet has almost been sitting vigil at his door in anticipation). I do have to get the fecal test results back tomorrow to make sure there's nothing contagious that needs to be treated first, but after that we will start with the scent swapping. And we've built a screen door for Bob's room so we will be able to let him see the others one by one til they are all good. So happy the worst is over...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm glad I found this thread. Looking forward to reading how things go from here. Good luck. Keep us posted.
And post pictures, when you can. :camera:

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so funny, I just looked up this thread to ask the same question! Hope everyone is doing well. Please update when you have time. I was looking at your album and the babies are beautiful!

loalar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh! I've been meaning to post! Things are going really, really well! We put up a screen door on Bob's room and he's now met my two girl kitties and my pug. Absolutely no drama! Not a single hiss, growl or anything. He and one of my girls even touched noses through the screen. We've also begun letting him explore the rest of the house (while the others are behind closed doors). He's gotten up to 10 minutes of exploration before he runs back to his room. And he's becoming super affectionate! Comes running to us immediately when we go in, rubs against our legs, rolls around, makes biscuits and purrs so loud! We are still mostly petting him with a back scratcher or a wooden spoon on a stick, but he's getting better with the hand pets. (For a while, he would try to hit us when we hand pet him. Now, he will turn abruptly and give us a look but he hasn't tried to hit us in about 4 or 5 days). He's also super playful! He will bat his catnip balls around, kick his catnip banana all over, but mostly loves it when we play with him with the felt cat dancer toy. If our arms could take it, I think he would play with that thing for a solid 8 hours straight! We have transitioned him over to mostly raw food and I think that's making him more energetic as well. The kitten is coming out! It's crazy to think two months ago, he was a snarling, lunging, hissing beast who kept trying to attack us! Now, when we start to leave the room, he weaves between our legs and gives us cute little meows in an attempt to get us to stay. And he looks so sad! I'm so happy we are getting close to the point where he can have free roam of the house.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So happy things are going well! You guys have done an amazing job and you will be repaid a hundredfold in affection from Bob. Isn't it amazing what love can do!
:thumbsup::rock:

Ezzer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going through the same. Trying to domesticate a stray is so difficult. I wasn't able to do it as it was stressing my elderly house cat too much so now we just have a heated shed outside for him with constant food and water. Under the circumstances it sounds like the cat is doing well, I think its just a case of constantly trying. Our stray would be fine then two seconds later scratch us and hiss however after about a month he was trusting us more and now greets us at the front door with a meow its a shame we can't bring him in the house with us. Hope it works out!

loalar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! We are continuing to make progress. He has met the older, more chill cat face to face who seems to have a crush on him. She immediately went running over to him and they touched noses. Made us so nervous that she darted over, but it was all good. Bob raised his paw about an inch off the ground when she did it to prepare himself if she was threatening, but never used it. After a few minutes Bob went back to his room. At the second meeting, she ran up to him when he had his back turned which took him by surprise so he hissed but no swatting. Third meeting was good-about 20 minutes, touched noses again and no drama. We are going to try introducing the pug next...Fingers crossed!