Adopter Problem.

JosieQ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently adopted out Lady Fluffington (a stray I took in last year who's got a thread here somewhere, maybe probably), and it's only been a week but the adopter is emailing me saying she has a problem.

Apparently Fluff is hiding "somewhere" and has only come out a couple times at around 10pm to jump on her bed and knead and be petted, keeping the woman up.

Now my idea of a problem would be "The cat shrieks all night and day" or "The cat tries to eat me when I touch it" or "The cat has scratched a hole in my door and escaped outdoors". The cat is hiding? In the first week? This is... this is your problem?

She sounds already ready to give up, which is upsetting. I thought she was more cat-savvy because she'd told me she had a 16-year-old cat recently pass away, but I guess maybe she got that one as a kitten so there were no issues like this? Because this, this is a NON-issue to me. Fluff seeks her out, she wants to be near her! My cats freak out and hide for weeks when we move even though the furniture and people are the same, dear sweet Jebus if I gave them to a new PERSON I don't think they'd ever come out! They hide when the mailman knocks.

I really want this to work because the woman is actually very nice, and would make a fantastic home if she didn't give up on Fluff. She's alone since her husband died, and she just wants someone to dote on, and that's Fluff's dream. I'd have kept Fluff myself if my own cats weren't an issue, because all she wanted was love and play and she is adorable and perfect.

So I've told her I think it's just an issue of having patience, and I suggested that she take the food away at night and start putting it out in the morning and daytime to encourage her out while the sun's up. I suggested canned food (apparently she tried this the first night and got no response, so while I told her I would be surprised if she HAD gotten a response, I'm still not sure if she'll try again), and maybe associating treats with a sound like a whistle or something that you can use to entice her out during the day.

I can't think of anything else, because I really just think it's an issue of giving her time. And she may not be willing to do that. (Though if she's intending to try another cat after THIS cat, she's in for a horrible surprise if she thinks this is something wrong with specifically with Fluff.)

My cats are already venturing out into the side of the house where Fluff was, and everyone's more relaxed here with one less kitty to stress things out. As much as I love and miss her, Fluff she really would be better off with this woman, if I could get her past this hurdle. I don't want to have to take her back (for who knows how long, she was already here a year), and then put her through this all over again if I ever even find another adopter. But obviously I can't grab this woman and shake sense into her, because... well, that's assault.

Anyway so, anything at all would be helpful.

(This was kinda rushed, hope it made sense.)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give the lady the address to this website along with your number just in case. I would also make it very clear that if she ever needs to re-home you will take her back. Maybe reading other posts her will help her see this is just the beginning of her relationship with her cat (& put it in perspective.)

That 'we will take him back any time for any reason' saved my boy! We adopted him out, she stupidly/predictably stressed him out and she returned him!!! (She also offered to maybe take him back after we neutered him!) I'm thankful my kitten was returned and wound up adopting him myself.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I may have missed out the info, but how old is Fluff? Younger ones really have an unlimited energy, so it is advisable to play with the cat before bedtime (an hour or more), and feed it as well, so there is a high chance that Fluff would also sleep it out during the night, and thus her owner can also get better sleep.

If she can she can also put Fluff in a room, away from the owner's bedroom.

Behavior problems like biting can be corrected. Here is an article:

How To Deal With Cat "love Bites"?

Invite the owner also to visit this page as suggested above.

I also have been fostering kitties and I always tell the adopters that if in case it does not work out the cat must be returned to me, only to me, not given to someone else, abandoned or sent to a shelter. I will be the one to find another home. That way I can assure myself that my cats are going to the right homes.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ugh. Some people expect a cat to be ready right out of the box with no adaptation time. I get a lot of stories from the volunteers at my local shelter about cats being returned because they don't blossom after a week. I think it is frustrating to every being involved because the failures are so hard. TBH, before I got cats, I assumed they were more like dogs in how quickly they would adapt and settle in, but after we got our first cat (and then researched WTF cats were about) I revised my expectations to be more cat-like and not the other way around.

You've got to get the adopter to relax and give it a few more weeks for Ms. Fluffington to come around, even though the nighttime loving can be problematic.

I think that my shy boy was adopted out and then returned but I can't get a straight story out of the adoption agency, I it doesn't matter - Barry and I both won in the end.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JosieQ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh. Some people expect a cat to be ready right out of the box with no adaptation time. I get a lot of stories from the volunteers at my local shelter about cats being returned because they don't blossom after a week.
I know! The first thing my husband said when I read her the email she sent, not quite a week in, was: "Oh no, the product isn't performing as expected and she wants to return it!"

It was so disappointing because she seemed more cat-savvy. D:

It only took me a week or two to win over stray Fluff, but then hungry cats are easier to win over aren't they? XD

This other black tom though, hoo boy, it took months before he would even eat within five feet of me and I had to keep suuuuper still or he would run. Finally got to pet him and now we're super-friends, but it took hours of sitting still for months, AND YOU'RE TALKIN' TO ME ABOUT A DAMN WEEK AND SHE'S ALREADY COMING TO YOU AND...

*Deep breath*

Thanks for the posts everyone. Sorry I can't reply to all of you just now, dinner's a-burnin'! Frustrated though I am she is a really nice person so I'm still hopeful.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes the adopters just don’t understand cats. Meaning if they see a cat, adopt the cat, get the cat home ..... then expect the cat to behave like a dog, there will be issues! Or if they expect adult cats to behave like kittens (strutting into their new him with their tail up, actively seeking affection from the nearest human) then get an adult cat that is going to need an adjustment issue ....... then the adopter will think something is wrong with their cat because every kitten they adopted was friendly/exploring/bold.

Perhaps next time you adopt out a non baby kitty, you can tell them there will be an adjustment period.... and give them some links. That way it will not be a surprise. Also if you can, I would send all the litter boxes/beds/card board scratchers/favorite toys you can with the cat; to help them understand this is their new home.