Adopted My First Cat Yesterday, And Now I Can't Find Him.

jinxybean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh!! Sorry to double reply but I just thought of something!! We have a security camera in the living room, and I can set it up to manual record! Maybe when I'm sleeping I'll find a glimpse of him!!
Great idea! To make you feel better, I 'lost' my newly adopted Siamese kitten years ago when I lived in a pre-furnished corporate apartment, about the size you are in. Not a lot of places to hide but SHE DID - right behind the warm cable box, up against the back of the entertainment center. Just a tiny sliver of space but she owned it proper. lol

You can also use the camera when you and your BF leave for a few hours to do anything (but be at home). Having no one in the apartment can make kitty feel safer.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just a tiny sliver of space but she owned it proper. lol
The one that kills me, and you'll get there eventually, is when the Big Guy is "hiding" right out in plain sight. I'm not sure how he does it, but he simply disappears and I usually find him on a chair, there for everyone to see (although sometimes he changes it up just for variety's sake and carries his vanishing act into the closet). :doh:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!! Your little boy is a cutie!! Is he a grey and white tabby? When was the last time one of you have seen and heard him? Is there a chance he dashed out of the front door say when boyfriend left for work or to say take the garbage out? Cats can be very quick and sneaky.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, he's gotta be there somewhere! Here are a list of curious places my adult cats have gone to hide:

1. Hiding behind the cable box, inside the entertainment center. Electronics throw off heat and they make a cozy spot to curl and snooze when in kitty-defilade mode.
  2. Inside a bathroom cabinet, tucked into the back of a shelf. Cats can open cabinet doors, fyi! Check all cabinets in the apartment with hinged doors.
  3. Underneath the china cabinet, curio hutch. The opening is as tall as a dollar bill, but my adult kitty can skeedadle her fanny and slip under!
Search with a flashlight. Glints off of their eyes will help you spot them. Oh, and excellent advice about sitting down and relaxing. Cats tend to stay hidden when they are searched for.
My guy hid in a full file cabinet drawer for two days (part of a cheap flat-pack computer desk that he got into from the back). He also hid underneath the freezer (there is a lot of room there).

Put out stinky wet food and piles of treats (not too many treats or piles - you want to see that he is eating them) and wait him out. You might want to also think about getting an extra litter box or two.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maeglutz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you mazie! I saw him last night around 9 PM, now its 5 PM my time.

He went MIA before my boyfriend left for work, and we live in an apartment, if he got out he'd just be in the entry hallway. :\

maeglutz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: We flipped up the couch and he wasn't in here :(

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hang in there, he'll come out soon when he's hungry and feels safe because no one's around, so most probably at night when you've gone to bed. Just make sure to leave a litterbox and some stinky cat food out. The security camera idea is a good one.

Hope you find him soon!

maeglutz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Guys.. WE FOUND HIM. He was stuck behind the cabinets like I knew he was!! I went to lay in the bedroom because I was exhausted from looking all day, and I fell asleep for a little bit. My boyfriend opened the door and had kitter in his arms! He said he heard cans getting hit together, and lured him out with some food. He was covered in dust and spider webs :( Kitty was extra spooked, so I brought him into the computer room and put his food, water, litterbox in here, and a bell collar on him. I sat on the ground for almost an hour while he rubbed all over me, purred, kneaded my leg, and showed his belly. He ate almost half his food bowl, taking a bite then running back over to me for more pets and rubs. I'm going to keep him in my computer room for the next couple days until he's less scared! Thanks for all the help! That was so scary :(

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, awesome! I was going to suggest behind books in a bookcase, that's where one feral was hiding one day when he got in by accident. God job! I would have been so scared as well.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad you found him!

I bet he won't try to go into that spot again, though.

I remember one time that our angel-kitty Belle got out when we lived in an apartment complex. She was usually pretty shy, so we didn't think she could have gone far. Still, we hunted for her well into the night until we were physically and emotionally exhausted. The next morning, hubby had to go to work early, so I continued the search. I found her within a couple hours, hiding under one of the big dumpsters. Now, you have to imagine this, Belle was a lovely white long haired Birman... but after a night under a dumpster she looked nothing less than a murky brown Persian! lol, poor thing had to be bathed more than once before her coat was back to normal. After that, she wouldn't venture any further than our little patio.... even when we moved to a larger house, the back patio was her boundary.

maeglutz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys! He hasn't even went back to hiding in the closet! He's rubbing all over me and when my boyfriend comes in he doesn't get scared, he just starts rubbing on him too! I think he's happy we got him out of there!

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello and congrats on your new baby! The litterbox i wouldn't be to concerned with unless it goes over a day or two. Leave some good food out and kitty will eat when ready. I rescue feral's from around where i work and i have had some go as far as to wait two whole days before using their boxes just because they are scared they don't know the environment and they don't know if their is a predator lurking about. As they get more comfortable and they learn they are in a safe place they will go. As well as being predators themselves they are also prey animals due to small size so they know they have to hide to keep themselves safe!
I wish you all the best of luck!
And congrats again on new furbaby!

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guys.. WE FOUND HIM. He was stuck behind the cabinets like I knew he was!! I went to lay in the bedroom because I was exhausted from looking all day, and I fell asleep for a little bit. My boyfriend opened the door and had kitter in his arms! He said he heard cans getting hit together, and lured him out with some food. He was covered in dust and spider webs :( Kitty was extra spooked, so I brought him into the computer room and put his food, water, litterbox in here, and a bell collar on him. I sat on the ground for almost an hour while he rubbed all over me, purred, kneaded my leg, and showed his belly. He ate almost half his food bowl, taking a bite then running back over to me for more pets and rubs. I'm going to keep him in my computer room for the next couple days until he's less scared! Thanks for all the help! That was so scary :(
:yess: