Adopted Kitten (4 Months Old) Concerns

Kia Lynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Just yesterday we adopted a new kitten from the local shelter and named him Bane. Bane is a black male who absolutely loves attention. We introduced him to our other kitten, Zannah (just about the same age, maybe a few weeks younger) and things went better than I expected! My only concern now is how he is pooping. Its practically liquid and it stinks really bad! The poor boy seems fine, he eats a ton, drinks just about the same amount of water, and is fond of playing with his new friend. Now when we brought Zannah home, she had roughly the same issue except is wasn't this bad.
I already planned to take Bane to the vet for an overall check up after he got adjusted to his new home better (and when I get a proper cat carrier). Should I move the date up or slow him down on food intake?(He ate nearly two whole cans of wet food when we got him home yesterday.) Or should I just wait a few more days and see if it starts to harden up?

LSpector

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Runny poops are never a good sign. I would see your vet as soon as you can. I am not implying it's anything major, but the sooner you can get him checked the better.

In the meantime, the combination of stress and wet food (which obviously has a much higher water content than kibble) could be contributing. Try to keep him quiet and get him into see your vet. Best of luck! Post an update when you can. :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I totally agree. Better safe than sorry. While these things are often simple, and not terribly dangerous, young kittens can be fragile, especially when they have had a rough start, and a shelter is a rough start. Let us know how Bane is doing, PLEASE!

BTW, Welcome to TCS! We're so happy that you found us.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you feeding him dry food and is it the same stuff they were feeding him at the shelter? If it's different, that is most likely the cause of the diarrhea. You can try to find out what they were feeding him while in their care and get him some of that and see if it helps firm up his poops. Then, gradually transition him to the new food. If you're feeding him canned food, then try adding in some plain canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie spice) and see if that helps firm up his stools.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We're all anxiously awaiting news on how the little guy is doing!