Administering Medication

Gomti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat has 3 oral medications.. and he is not happy taking these AT ALL. my question: can i just put them all in one syringe? because 3 separate syringes takes a little longer to get it over and done with.. may be more traumatic for my cat because it takes longer.. he is on clavamox, lixotinic and lactolose.. thanks so much!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are the three meds required to be given at the same time?
If yes, then I don't see what difference it makes if they're mixed in a single syringe or in his stomach.
If no, then try to administer them over a period of time, say 15 minutes apart. In 30-35 minutes you have administered them all.

Mescatsamis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You should never mix meds. It can change their chemistry and they are designed to be separate. The best way to give this kind of med is to put the cat either in your lap or on a counter, pet them a lot and stand in back of them so they cannot move all over. Raise their jaw, hold head and talk very softly. I recommend giving it all at once but not squirting it in. I never heard of 3 like that once. If this cat needs lots of oral meds, they can always put in an NG tube.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are all all to be administered at the same time of day then there's no reason why they can't be combined. If they are prescribed for different times of day then no. It's always best to pose this kind of question to your vet. Even so, medications prescribed by the same vet to be taken at the same time of day should be fine to mix.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t, because if you use the same syringe to draw up all the meds, they leave residue of the previous medication in the other bottles. And some medicines must be refrigerated, others not, so this will cause issues.

ReallySleepy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not sure precisely what is your situation. Just wanted to mention that I once had to give my cat the antibiotic imacillin, and it was a conundrum. He refused to get it sprayed into his mouth. If I mixed it with wet food, he refused to eat the wet food. Finally I tried to mix the imacillin with milk, and that worked. (Normal cow milk - it's all right for few days, whether or not the cat tolerates milk.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gomti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we hold him and give him the syringe into his mouth.. even though he is sleeping all the time. he is pretty strong when trying to avoid the medication going into his mouth. lacy2000.. if i were to mix all 3 i would definitely not use the same syringe when collecting the medicine.. I would still use 3 different ones when getting medicine out of the bottles. we have also started giving him some water via syringe since he isnt eating a whole lot or drinking.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been giving my 18lb cat Sonny oral medication since last Tuesday. I have found the easiest place to give him his medicine is either on the couch or the bed. As of last night he is only one oral med now. Based on my experience I am guessing the Clamavox is the one that is causing the most issues. Sonny managed to spit out a tiny bit and actually get it into my mouth the first time I tried to give it to him. The Clamavox has a very bitter taste to it. If I give him his medicine on the bed or the couch it is easier to hold on to him. I just quickly squirt it into the side of his mouth now and he is actually swallowing it. I found it much harder to hold on to him on any hard surface because he does not like to be held. The couch is actually the easiest place for me I can use myself and the back of the couch to restrict his movement and he does not try to squirm as much.

Gomti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we hold him on the couch too.. he even freaks out with the water that we gave him via syringe..he is the sweetest cat in the world that i have ever met.. (honest, not just because he is mine) he is very easy going.. but he is afraid of car rides, blow dryers, vacuums, tin foil, bubbles and he doesnt like people messing with his mouth.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Gomti, have you asked your vet whether the medications are available in other forms? When we were giving my cat four medications daily and having a ton of trouble with it we were able to get one in a transdermal gel, and to combine the rest (which were pills) into one larger pill by ordering empty gel capsules online, and putting all three small pills into the larger capsule. If your cat hates liquid meds, maybe he would do better with pills, either using a pill popper or in a pill pocket.

he is afraid of car rides, blow dryers, vacuums, tin foil, bubbles and he doesnt like people messing with his mouth.
Also, this made me laugh. :D I don't like people messing with my mouth either. Just ask my dentist....

fodder

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Clavamox is definitely available in pill form. Im not sure about the other 2.

My cat also drinks water from a syringe(he just prefers it :)) but that makes giving pills super easy. You just pop the pill in their mouth as far back as possible and then squirt in a bit of water in and they will swallow it.

When i gave my cat clavamox liquid form he almost threw up. There was so much saliva and the trauma to us both was significant. Never had a single issue with the pill form so i would also suggest what Etarre did and see if you can get them in a different form to try out.

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
The clavamox can be put into lixotinic. I use lixotinic as a base to compound antibiotics like doxycycline and clavamox. Clavamox is probably the issue here, it tastes like BUTT and really bitter and gross. Best to avoid the tongue when administering it because it will cause foaming and maybe retching. I'm not sure about the lactulose.
Others are correct, if meds are prescribed to be given at the same time, it's not actually a problem to stick them all in one syringe. Generally if meds are going to be interacting with one another in a bad way, vet would specify not to give them all at once, because they all end up in the same place!
Do not, however, premix the meds because that can lower drug efficacy. For example, doxycyline compounded in VAL syrup (similar to lixotinic) loses some potency because of chemical interactions. So if I were compounding that I would do only small doses because the longer it sits together the less effective it is. I'm not sure if lixotinic has the same effect, but I've been told that Clavamox compounded with VAL or lixotinic does lose potency after 4-5 days. So don't premix whenever possible.
You may also ask if the vet can flavor the Clavamox or recommend a compounding pharmacy that could. Fish, chicken, or beef flavor in Clavamox is more palatable. It really is a nauseating taste, both from personal experience and giving it to many cats.

Gomti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
things have changed with his medications..we found out he has lymphoma and he is taking steroids.. i asked for pills and we administered them and an appetite stimulant tonight.. following by a little syringe of water to wash it down. thanks for your input everyone.