Adding Chicken Stock To Prescrption Food?

lgerkin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - my 17 year old cat has been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease, so I'm feeding him (or trying to) prescription food for kidney disease. I've tried Royal Canin, Pro Plan and Hill's and the only one he'll even come near is Hills K/D Chicken and Vegetable Stew. But, he doesn't each much of it. Can I safely add a little chicken stock to make it tastier? I assume there's a low-sodium chicken stock (with no garlic) available but I want to make sure it won't mess with his hydration issues. He doesn't like any seafood flavored food, so tuna juice, etc. wouldn't work. I'm giving him subcu fluids twice a week. Thanks for any feedback! Lea Ann

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried the usual suggestions of FortiFlora, crushed up treats, etc to make the food more appealing?

If the vet says it's ok to add flavored liquids to the food, instead of store bought chicken broth, try bone broth. There are some made just for pets.

Petcurean Now Pate / Stews In Bone Broth
Bone Broth

You can also make bone broth yourself.

i Need instructions on how to make broth for cats...very simple instructions
Question Re: Making Bone Broth In Crock Pot For Sick Kitties

You can also try soaking freeze dried meat treats in water and pouring it over food.

Also try non-prescription canned foods. There's a list of CRF-friendly foods here Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
See if your local pet stores have salt and seasoning free bone broth, or you might be able to order it as LTS3 LTS3 listed, it's becoming more readily available. This would be better than low sodium broth, or if you can find salt free canned green beans, your kitty might like that liquid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lgerkin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the usual suggestions of FortiFlora, crushed up treats, etc to make the food more appealing?

If the vet says it's ok to add flavored liquids to the food, instead of store bought chicken broth, try bone broth. There are some made just for pets.

Petcurean Now Pate / Stews In Bone Broth
Bone Broth

You can also make bone broth yourself.

i Need instructions on how to make broth for cats...very simple instructions
Question Re: Making Bone Broth In Crock Pot For Sick Kitties

You can also try soaking freeze dried meat treats in water and pouring it over food.

Also try non-prescription canned foods. There's a list of CRF-friendly foods here Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lgerkin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! This is very helpful and I’ll definitely check out your suggestions.