Bone Broth

socaffeinated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys - looking for opinions on the following broth products, any personal experiences? Does the sodium level/ingredients look ok for long-term supplemental use?

I'm hoping to increase my cat's liquid intake since she never seems to drink from her water fountain. Also tried putting water in her wet food but that put her off the food. I'm experimenting with different bowls now and plan on getting a new water fountain but in the meantime...

thanks!

Caru Free Range Chicken Bone Broth for Dogs & Cats, 1.1-lb box

Ingredients
Water Sufficient For Processing, Chicken Bones(Source of Chondroitin Sulfate), Organic Carrots, Organic Celery, Organic Parsley, Apple Cider Vinegar, Black Peppercorns, Bay Leaves, Thyme. (1.66% sodium - according to Chewy)

Caloric Content
10 kcal/ ¼ cup (60 g), 171 kcal/kg

The Honest Kitchen Beef Bone Broth with Turmeric Liquid Treats for Dogs & Cats

Ingredients

Beef Bone Broth, Parsley, Pumpkin, Turmeric Extract (142.5 milligrams sodium per tablespoon according to Chewy)

Caloric Content
59 kcal/serving (hydrated cup)

yeva2292

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would worry more about excess calcium with long-term use of bone broth, which could lead to bladder stones. Others may have better insight to offer.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How much water are you putting in the canned food? A spoonful is plenty but if your cat balks at that, you can add just a teeny bit like 1/4 teaspoon. Canned food alone provides plenty of water so some cats won't drink from a bowl or fountain. Or maybe they do but just not in your presence. You still want to keep a bowl or fountain of fresh water available anyways.

You can make your own bone broth instead of buying a commercial pet broth that contains veggies and other stuff. Here are simple recipies:

Question Re: Making Bone Broth In Crock Pot For Sick Kitties
i Need instructions on how to make broth for cats...very simple instructions

A slow cooker works great or just use a pot on the stove and let simmer for at least a couple of hours.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used both of those. You make ice cubes out of them. Serving size is typically 1/8 cup, so it's just a cube for the entire day. Tom didn't really care which brand I was using, but I gave it to him every day after he was healing from his PU surgery. Considering the only added sodium he gets in his diet is the lite salt for iodine that I put in his food, or his royal jerk face eating human food, it never really dawned on me that it would pose a problem.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would worry more about excess calcium with long-term use of bone broth, which could lead to bladder stones. Others may have better insight to offer.
This is my concern, too. Calcium plus phosphorous, too. This is something I'd really want to check with the company -- what are the mineral contents? -- as well as the vet to see if the numbers are too high for regular use.

I really don't want to mess with the mineral balance so the only broth I ever give to our cats is what I call chicken water, the leftover cooking water from boneless chicken pieces I poach for certain recipes. The cats love it added to just about anything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

socaffeinated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I didn't know that, thanks. Will do some more digging...

socaffeinated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much water are you putting in the canned food? A spoonful is plenty but if your cat balks at that, you can add just a teeny bit like 1/4 teaspoon. Canned food alone provides plenty of water so some cats won't drink from a bowl or fountain. Or maybe they do but just not in your presence. You still want to keep a bowl or fountain of fresh water available anyways.

You can make your own bone broth instead of buying a commercial pet broth that contains veggies and other stuff. Here are simple recipies:

Question Re: Making Bone Broth In Crock Pot For Sick Kitties
i Need instructions on how to make broth for cats...very simple instructions

A slow cooker works great or just use a pot on the stove and let simmer for at least a couple of hours.
I put way more than a tablespoon of water! That's probably why. I added a tablespoon to her dinner just now and encountered no resistance. She has an all wet food diet BUT she only pees about 3 times a day. That doesn't seem enough to me?

socaffeinated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've used both of those. You make ice cubes out of them. Serving size is typically 1/8 cup, so it's just a cube for the entire day. Tom didn't really care which brand I was using, but I gave it to him every day after he was healing from his PU surgery. Considering the only added sodium he gets in his diet is the lite salt for iodine that I put in his food, or his royal jerk face eating human food, it never really dawned on me that it would pose a problem.
good idea thanks - especially since it's boiling this summer.

socaffeinated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is my concern, too. Calcium plus phosphorous, too. This is something I'd really want to check with the company -- what are the mineral contents? -- as well as the vet to see if the numbers are too high for regular use.

I really don't want to mess with the mineral balance so the only broth I ever give to our cats is what I call chicken water, the leftover cooking water from boneless chicken pieces I poach for certain recipes. The cats love it added to just about anything.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't think about the potential problems with minerals.

The chicken water idea sounds promising and easy enough for this non-chef. Hmm..might try that. Some websites also recommended drops of tuna water but I heard fish was bad for cats so I'm trying to avoid it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I put way more than a tablespoon of water! That's probably why. I added a tablespoon to her dinner just now and encountered no resistance. She has an all wet food diet BUT she only pees about 3 times a day. That doesn't seem enough to me?

Some cats won't touch "soup":headshake: Try less water next time and adjust.

Peeing 3 times a day is likely normal for your cat. There isn't any specific number of times a cat, or even a Human, has to go pee daily. Some days you pee more than on other days. I wouldn't worry about the number of times your cat pees in a day unless you see a big change like peeing frequently with little pee (possible urinary tract issue) or huge amounts of pee (possible diabetes or kidney issues).

socaffeinated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got it. I probably worry too much about my cat lol.