Adding Calcium to Raw Meats

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok, this is probably a very dumb question, but if you are adding any form of calcium to raw meat instead of giving them bones, and you find they are seeming to be constipated, isn't it ok just to NOT add it to one meal per day, or something like that?

I use Call of the Wild for some of their meals, and Alnutrin with Eggshell Powder (with liver to the side) for some of their meals, and I see Darko assuming the position in the litter box with nothing happening.  When he was eating Primal, I noticed this happening and  would then add in some plain ground turkey to his Primal and all would be well. 

So, I'm thinking just skipping adding the calcium to one meal (they get 3 meals per day) would be the same as adding more plain meat to the meal, wouldn't it?  I don't mean every single day, I'm thinking maybe every 6th meal or so? 

What do you all think?  I know I'm not adding too much, because, for instance, the COTW says to add 1 teas for 3 oz, and I usually feed 1.25 oz ish per meal and only add 1/3 teap already, plus I add a little water to his raw meat strips, because I dissolve his EYL and probiotics and the COTW or whatever I'm using in it first before I add the meat and juice because he's picky and doesn't like the powder
.  And he DOES get salmon oil for "lubrication"

I guess what I'm asking is isn't it better to just cut down on the calcium rather than resort to using Miralax or something like that?  And, BTW, naturally, mine don't like pumpkin
(been there, done that)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a dumb question at all Sally......
I am on the fence about that one, since Ca is SO important on their diets, and Ca deficiency is one you do not want to have.... It affects everything from bones to muscle/heart health....
Are you sure they are constipated? Are they straining too much? Is there blood in their poop? Are they trying to poop and not able to?
What exactly is going on?

If it is once in a while it is ok, I suppose, but just be careful with it..... I rather adjust it down juuuuuuust a little bit (tiny little bit) per meal and see how it goes.....

Good luck!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 meals a day for 7 days is 21 meals, and not supplementing 3 of those meals is a little less than 15% so that would sound OK...assuming each meal is equal in size.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not a dumb question at all Sally......
I am on the fence about that one, since Ca is SO important on their diets, and Ca deficiency is one you do not want to have.... It affects everything from bones to muscle/heart health....
Are you sure they are constipated? Are they straining too much? Is there blood in their poop? Are they trying to poop and not able to?
What exactly is going on?

If it is once in a while it is ok, I suppose, but just be careful with it..... I rather adjust it down juuuuuuust a little bit (tiny little bit) per meal and see how it goes.....

Good luck!
Darko gets in his box and gets all hunched up like he's trying to poop, stays there for quite some time, then finally walks away and nothing is there.   He pees fine BTW.  So...yes, I'm sure he's trying to poop and nothing is happening. I don't see him doing this all the time because I don't catch him in the box all the time, but I did witness this the other day, which makes me think he's getting too much calcium, as he did when getting fed Primal

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok..... Makes sense.
I think you rather reduce the amount by a little per meal than skipping Ca all together every few days. IMHO this way you will find out what amount is right for him and also, I am not sure how not adding it every few days will help..... He will be constipated for a few days, and good for that day :dk:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not so sure, Carolina. I mean - PMR feeders that use bone balance it over a week, and the kitties don't have diarrhea on the days they don't have bone. :dk:

Also, the CoTW has a lot of calcium in it, actually. mschauer ran an analysis of it for me (with meat - they have the profile of the supplement up on their website, but not with it used with meat. :rolleyes: ). When added to meat on the "one teaspoon per three oz. of meat" guideline, it has a Ca:p ratio of 1.7:1, so high! The problem is that it has the other nutrients kitties need if not eating organs. So I think skipping the eggshell on some meals makes more sense, using that 15% unbalanced is safe guideline.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not so sure, Carolina. I mean - PMR feeders that use bone balance it over a week, and the kitties don't have diarrhea on the days they don't have bone. :dk:

Also, the CoTW has a lot of calcium in it, actually. mschauer ran an analysis of it for me (with meat - they have the profile of the supplement up on their website, but not with it used with meat. :rolleyes: ). When added to meat on the "one teaspoon per three oz. of meat" guideline, it has a Ca:p ratio of 1.7:1, so high! The problem is that it has the other nutrients kitties need if not eating organs. So I think skipping the eggshell on some meals makes more sense, using that 15% unbalanced is safe guideline.
That's is true..... I didn't know CoTW was so high in Ca - whoa!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, it is. I use it with Lazlo almost exclusively, but he's doing really well on it. He had issues with constipation before - but doesn't now. I don't know if you remember, Carolina, but there's SOMETHING in there that bulks up their stools - and at least, for Lazlo, helps him stay regular, even though it's got all that calcium in there. :dk:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it is. I use it with Lazlo almost exclusively, but he's doing really well on it. He had issues with constipation before - but doesn't now. I don't know if you remember, Carolina, but there's SOMETHING in there that bulks up their stools - and at least, for Lazlo, helps him stay regular, even though it's got all that calcium in there. :dk:
Yes, Hope did REALLY well on it - huge poops though :lol3::lol3::lol3: No constipation though :dk:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FWIW, I feed Ritz bone three times a week, around 2.1 to 2.4 oz per week.  She is prone to constipation, so I fed the low end.

Also, as an aside:  Ritz had been with me for about six months, and I was still (am....) very much a neophyte when it comes to cats.  She was having trouble, I thought, pooping, and the vet, after listening to my description of her symptoms, thought she was constipated.  Whatever he recommended, didn't work.  Called him back, described the symtoms again, and turns out Ritz had a UTI.