Adding A Fish Oil Capsule To A Can Of Food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did some research and found out that fish oil (generic) has a density of 0.93 g/ml.

That means that one milliliter of fish oil weighs 0.93 grams or 930 milligrams.

That is about as close to a gram as you can measure at home, in your kitchen. You would need laboratory grade equipment in order to be more precise than that. So, let's round off and say that one gram of fish oil is approximately one milliliter.

@Tobermorey -- Looking at the nutritional analysis of your "Iceland Pure" fish oil it says that the recommended dose is one pump, twice a day.

It says that one pump is 1/2 of a teaspoon.

One teaspoon holds 5 milliliters.

That means that one pump of fish oil is 2.5 milliliters.

If one capsule of daftcat75 daftcat75 's fish oil is 1,000 mg. per capsule and 1,000 mg. of fish oil has a volume of 1 ml. then one pump of Iceland Pure fish oil is approximately the same as 2-1/2 capsules worth.

Bottom line is that feeding the recommended daily amount of Tobermorey's "Iceland Pure" is approximately the same as feeding 5 of daftcat's capsules every day.

Put that all in the pot and stir it...

If it was me, I'd just get a bottle of whatever fish oil I thought was best and stir a half of a spoonful into the cat's food twice a day...OR...If I feed twice a day, I'd stir in a half-spoonful every time I feed.
I like your thinking and your work here. But I would normalize for total EFA (EPA plus DHA) or pick an EFA like EPA. Fish oil itself isn’t as important as the EFAs within them. The amount of fish oil speaks nothing to its potency (what percent is EFAs?)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay... Reading from the label of the "Iceland Pure"...

Each recommended daily dosage contains:
644 mg. of EPA
476 mg. of DHA
-------------------
1,120 mg. TOTAL

Remember what I said about measurement precision? You'd be doing well if you could measure within 10% using your kitchen utensils.

With that in mind, we can simply round off to 1,000 mg total EFA per daily dose.

So, how much do you think your cat needs?

The rest is sixth-grade math...

N ÷ D = A

Where:
N = The amount your cat needs.
D = The amount in a regular dose.
A = The amount to give.

Example:
If you think your cat needs 1,500 mg. per day.
If one regular dose is 1,000 mg.

N ÷ D = A

1,500 ÷ 1,000 = 1.5

This means that you give 1.5 times the recommended amount.

If the recommended amount is 5 ml. per day...

5 ml. x 1.5 = 7.5 ml.

Or... If you really want to simplify... Give 3 half-teaspoons per day instead of two.

But, to be honest, I think we're splitting hairs, here.

I think a spoonful per day is plenty. If you think you need to give a little more then, go ahead. Just remember, if you give too much, your cat will probably get the squirts. You don't want THAT to happen! :eek:

Unless you have specific instructions from your vet, just do what it says on the bottle.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a bottle of salmon oil to compare duck to rabbit. Since I don’t know how to do a half pump, one pump per can. That’s about right. She’s going through slightly more than a can a day. And day one, well, I’m hoping the lines just needed to be flushed and day two will be firmer in the box.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Always give the MINIMUM amount needed.

Start with a small amount, about half of what you think is necessary, then monitor your cat to see what effect it has. Then, add a little more and observe again.

Increase the dose in small amounts, monitoring and observing the effect, until you achieve the correct dose that has the right effect for your cat.

If you give too much, you could do more harm than good. You're also wasting your product by giving more than necessary.

By the fact that your cat has a case of "soupy-poopy" I'd say that you should back off and give your cat time to adjust to a new diet.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I don’t know how to do a half pump, one pump per can.
Read the label. It will tell you how much is dispensed per pump.

According to the "Iceland Pure" label, one pump gives 1/2 of a teaspoon.

How do you know how much YOUR pump dispenses?
Go get your measuring spoons and find out! ;)

Take your 1/2-tsp. measuring spoon and slowly pump some liquid into it.
Stop when your 1/2-tsp. measure is full.
Go get a plastic drinking straw and cut it to length... from the bottom of the pump to the top of the bottle.
Slice the cut straw down its length then slip it over the exposed stem of the pump.

Next time you want to measure out 1/2-tsp. just carefully push the pump down until it touches the top of the straw.

Easy-peasy-Japanesy!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 pump is 205/185 DHA:EPA.

She eats about a can and a half a day largely because of this added flavor. So that actually brings it right on par with the capsules or a little less than the Icelandic Pure.

But honestly, I had a science experiment to conduct here and no fish oil but salmon oil would do to confirm that the difference maker between the Rawz flavors was not just the difference between rabbit and duck but the inclusion of salmon oil in the duck. Furthermore, because Krista does not look stink-faced, distressed, or having soupy poops anymore (we achieved stability!), I can theorize that either the duck contains more oil than I have been adding to the rabbit, or I have not been mixing the duck as thoroughly as I have started with the rabbit. But since Krista is holding a grudge against the duck after barfing it all Friday, I’m not going to test the second option. I can also speculate that the inclusion of salmon oil into the turkey flavor might also increase her interest in the turkey flavor should we ever find her holding a grudge against both rabbit and duck. Finally, and this one is huge, I can rule out salmon oil itself as the problem she was having with the Rawz duck. Having ruled that out and also acclimated her to this known tolerable amount, I know how to sweeten the turkey flavor for her, as it were, if she ever needs a break from or holds a grudge against the rabbit.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If 1 pump becomes too much, if stability is short-lived, I will try the straw trick. It’s not that I didn’t know or couldn’t calculate what was in half a pump. But without a way of standardizing half a pump, like an actual position on the pump, it wasn’t repeatable and thus not a useful measure.