Adding A Fish Oil Capsule To A Can Of Food?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just realized the Rawz duck that my Krista enjoys so much has salmon oil in it. I am not certain if salmon oil agrees with her but I like the concept for inflammation relief. Can I add a 1000 mg fish oil capsule (I think it’s like 300mg of EFA’s) to a can of turkey or rabbit and stir that up before portioning it out to her? I’m thinking maybe the fish oil might be the difference maker that could get her to enjoy another flavor like turkey as much as she enjoys the duck. For reference, we go through about a can to a can and a half of the duck. I wish I could say she liked the rabbit or turkey as much. I am wondering if it’s the duck alone or the salmon oil. I’d love to put that to the test with say turkey plus fish oil. Please let me know an acceptable daily dose for the fish oil (or EFAs) and I’ll syringe it out of a capsule if it’s more or less than a capsule per can.

Thanks in advance!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I don’t know if this is helpful, but here’s the recommended dosage for the salmon oil from Iceland Pure:
4CF32CC4-8F04-43CF-BC66-47EE3C617AEC.jpeg

I use the Iceland Pure sardine and anchovy oil when I make batches for the girls, but I haven’t tried adding it by the meal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like 500 mg EFAs. So maybe half a capsule. They probably figure two meals a day. So that sounds like 1 capsule may be right.

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to add fish oil to all of my boys' premix foods (no matter the brand) or they just sniff and walk away. I usually mix the fish oil in just before feeding, but I don't see why you couldn't mix it into the can if you'll be feeding her the whole can that day.

More experienced feeders will correct me if I'm wrong. Please!

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
It looks like the Spectrum fish oil is what’s being used on the feline-nutrition.org website. I’ve used these occasionally, too. They’re the brand on Dr. Pierson’s catinfo.org website.
02A2721B-1173-4E63-8D15-06FBBC973D89.jpeg 6E8CDC92-AD7A-4770-9579-BAE9D7085C28.jpeg

According to Dr. Pierson’s recipe, the amount is 5,000-10,000 mg. per 52 oz. of meat (muscle plus organ) or a range of 96-192 mg. per ounce. She says she personally uses 10,000. I use about 6,000-7,000 per 52 oz. batch.

The recipes on feline-nutrition.org and catnutrition.org are almost identical to each other, and they use quite a bit less: 4,000 mg. per 93 oz. of muscle/organ meat or about 44 mg. per oz. Catnutrition.org also says you can add several drops of fish oil to a meal a few times a week, so it looks like there’s quite a bit of leeway.

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I should have made clear that I use a drop or two. I wasn't encouraging you to overdose poor Krista!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like the Spectrum fish oil is what’s being used on the feline-nutrition.org website. I’ve used these occasionally, too. They’re the brand on Dr. Pierson’s catinfo.org website.
View attachment 279847View attachment 279848

According to Dr. Pierson’s recipe, the amount is 5,000-10,000 mg. per 52 oz. of meat (muscle plus organ) or a range of 96-192 mg. per ounce. She says she personally uses 10,000. I use about 6,000-7,000 per 52 oz. batch.

The recipes on feline-nutrition.org and catnutrition.org are almost identical to each other, and they use quite a bit less: 4,000 mg. per 93 oz. of muscle/organ meat or about 44 mg. per oz. Catnutrition.org also says you can add several drops of fish oil to a meal a few times a week, so it looks like there’s quite a bit of leeway.
If that's 192 mg of fish oil vs 192 mg of EFAs per ounce, than 5.5 oz * 192 = 1056 mg. Looks like a capsule a can is the high end of that range but acceptable.

Because I have the capsules and not the pump, I'd like to open only as many capsules as needed per day (hopefully just one) rather than getting a few drops per meal and tossing the rest.

She had a rough day with the duck and salmon oil yesterday. So I think I'll let her nibble as much Rawz rabbit as she will and start tomorrow with adding a half capsule. We can see how she does with that.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like I figured out how to get her to clean a rabbit plate like she cleans the duck plates. I added one pump of salmon oil (went out and bought some just to try this) to the can and mixed it up before serving the first ounce from it.

Now we wait to see how it will treat her gut and butt....
8A7A145C-6858-4E75-AFDE-DC78AB3C0D97.jpeg

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
That’s great! I keep mine in the fridge to help keep it from going rancid.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. That's where I'm keeping it too. She's circling the apartment like she's hungry for more.

"Patience! Keep it down, and don't wear the scrunch-face, and I'll be happy to keep feeding this to you. At your next scheduled meal."

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If this really is the secret sauce, as it were, then we've got an honest to goodness rotation because I can make turkey as exciting as duck too!
:clapcat:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr. Pierson mentioned on an interview no more than 600 mg of EPA per day. When I got a consult with her she recommended that all my cats get 300 epa per day for general care.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr. Pierson mentioned on an interview no more than 600 mg of EPA per day. When I got a consult with her she recommended that all my cats get 300 epa per day for general care.
Two soft gels are 320 mg EPA per 2000 mg of fish oil.

At least tonight though, she seems to be okay with one pump off the small bottle of salmon oil. 1 pump of the salmon oil is 220 mg EPA.

I am still waiting on the feedback tomorrow in the litterbox(es). But so far with the way she cleaned the plate and how relaxed and un-distressed she’s been, I think we’ve got something good right here. Especially if I can get her cleaning plates and feeling great after turkey too.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you find the cat version of the secret sauce, you can probably turn lead into gold! :)
Only the secret sauce for this cat. For tonight anyway. Still have to see the final report tomorrow. ;)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some bonus poops, scoots, and a carpet pretzel. :(. Nothing too soft. Nothing soupy like Cosequin. Not all that unexpected for a sudden change in recipe. I think we can firm this up though.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I add a 1000 mg fish oil capsule...to a can of turkey or rabbit and stir that up before portioning it out to her? Please let me know an acceptable daily dose for the fish oil (or EFAs) and I’ll syringe it out of a capsule if it’s more or less than a capsule per can.
I did some research and found out that fish oil (generic) has a density of 0.93 g/ml.

That means that one milliliter of fish oil weighs 0.93 grams or 930 milligrams.

That is about as close to a gram as you can measure at home, in your kitchen. You would need laboratory grade equipment in order to be more precise than that. So, let's round off and say that one gram of fish oil is approximately one milliliter.

Tobermory Tobermory -- Looking at the nutritional analysis of your "Iceland Pure" fish oil it says that the recommended dose is one pump, twice a day.

It says that one pump is 1/2 of a teaspoon.

One teaspoon holds 5 milliliters.

That means that one pump of fish oil is 2.5 milliliters.

If one capsule of daftcat75 daftcat75 's fish oil is 1,000 mg. per capsule and 1,000 mg. of fish oil has a volume of 1 ml. then one pump of Iceland Pure fish oil is approximately the same as 2-1/2 capsules worth.

Bottom line is that feeding the recommended daily amount of Tobermorey's "Iceland Pure" is approximately the same as feeding 5 of daftcat's capsules every day.

Put that all in the pot and stir it...

If it was me, I'd just get a bottle of whatever fish oil I thought was best and stir a half of a spoonful into the cat's food twice a day...OR...If I feed twice a day, I'd stir in a half-spoonful every time I feed.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her Friday was so multi food and multi barf. I think this is like when the keg runs dry and you change taps, you have to flush the lines before you get a good pour again. That’s what I think is going on as she restarted her eating on a new “keg” ( flavor.)

She did finish 7 oz worth on the last 24 hours! Pawesome!!!!