Acute/End Stage Renal Failure

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just got back from the vet an hour ago and am possibly just going through anger/denial and trying to find something to do, like maybe I can somehow fix this, although I know that is unlikely.

My darling Sonic (in my avatar) is 15, he was losing weight slowly last year and had a whole load of tests (blood tests, urinalysis, ultrasound) which took place in late summer, which didn't show anything alarming.

Before Christmas I noticed he seemed to have lost more weight, so booked an appointment with the vet - in the meantime he's been a bit off his food - still eating but not as much as usual, drinking and weeing a lot which I knew meant probable kidney issues.

I was shocked though when the vet today said that was it, he has days rather than weeks, he's not in pain take him home and love him and bring him back to be put to sleep when he deteriorates. I thought it might be a condition that could be managed for a while at least. The vet gave him a vitamin B12 injection to help with his appetite. There was the option that I could take him to the vet hospital for admission so he could be on a drip for hydration, but that would be massively stressful for Sonic and doesn't seem fair just to extend his life for a bit.

I'm just in shock right now.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many older cats at the end of their life develop this. I'm so sorry......You could learn to give him subcutaneous water injections at home, they are needed once or twice a week and may make him more comfortable. Cat are amazingly strong, I have a cat sleeping next to me right now that was given 'days' to live, we even dug his grave, and he is still with us over two years later. He was diagnosed with Leukemia. Get a kidney support supplement after research on amazon or any pet med site and see if that helps. I also give all my cats DMG to strengthen their immune systems. Get some lickable treats and see if he will eat that, my cats will eat Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors when they won't eat anything else. My 16-year-old Burt would only eat Arby's roast beef at the end of his life.
I echo the vet, just love him all you can, there is no way to 'prepare' for a broken heart. Do all you can to get him to eat and drink, and then you will know you did what you could. Don't give up, cats are amazing creatures, I will pray for him.......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many older cats at the end of their life develop this. I'm so sorry......You could learn to give him subcutaneous water injections at home, they are needed once or twice a week and may make him more comfortable. Cat are amazingly strong, I have a cat sleeping next to me right now that was given 'days' to live, we even dug his grave, and he is still with us over two years later. He was diagnosed with Leukemia. Get a kidney support supplement after research on amazon or any pet med site and see if that helps. I also give all my cats DMG to strengthen their immune systems. Get some lickable treats and see if he will eat that, my cats will eat Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors when they won't eat anything else. My 16-year-old Burt would only eat Arby's roast beef at the end of his life.
I echo the vet, just love him all you can, there is no way to 'prepare' for a broken heart. Do all you can to get him to eat and drink, and then you will know you did what you could. Don't give up, cats are amazing creatures, I will pray for him.......
Thank you!

I did ask about subcutaneous fluids, but the vet reckons that Sonic is so resistant to any sort of medical intervention that it would probably be too stressful for him (he is a sweet boy but it was a major incident last year just giving him ear drops - like seriously, 1 drop in his ear twice a day - when he had a minor ear infection, you'd have thought we were trying to murder him the fuss he made)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats do the exact same thing when WE try to do something to him at home. They are scared at the vets and let them do anything! If you could take him in once a week that would be great. But you know your cat better than anyone, if it is too stressful, just love him and do what you can. You don't want him to be so stressed out, I understand completely.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the vet this morning took a urine sample with a needle into the bladder which was never going to be pleasant, but it took everyone in the clinic to be able to do that and I could hear him crying - I know what he is like, he struggles and screams and hisses when he is having his claws trimmed (I have always had to take him to the vet for that as I cannot do it at home, have always done my other cats myself with no trouble). He's a sweet boy and has never bitten or scratched anyone and never would, but it's like a full on wrap him up in a towel and a team of people to do any sort of medical thing without sedation - and he can't be sedated for anything because his kidneys have packed up and he can't have any drugs :(

If he was a bit calmer about having stuff done to him then there might be more options.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sonic was put to sleep this afternoon.
Absolutely devastated.
It was the right thing to do at the right time - he was happy and enjoying cuddles and sitting on the windowsill in the sun but physically declined a lot since Monday, he wasn't eating enough and got very thin and lost muscle mass so was starting to be a bit wobbly and his breath got that whole kidney failure thing about it (I'd be happy for him to breathe stinky breath in my face forever, but it is a bad sign in terms of kidney issues).
We had really good cuddles the last few days. I think he knew it was time, he didn't leave my side all week and spent a lot of time basically pressed against me enjoying having a cuddle.
I'll do a Rainbow Bridge post when I feel up to it.

RabbitDog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sonic loved you very much, I’m so sorry for your loss. I’ll keep you in my thoughts epona <3