Accelerated Fur Loss

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurainthesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. So everything has been going fine.. hits bald patches have stopped growing. He seemed to be feeling better.

And then... earlier this afternoon i heard him have a little sneeze. Not to worried. It's storming in Houston. Rain brings a little dust and mold.. living creatures can get a little sneezy..

Then he had another light sneeze.. not worried yet..

Now in the past hour he had had 2 or 3 much more severe fits. Im starting to get seriously paranoid. What if there is something much worse wrong with him and the antibiotics helped a little byr whatever the thing is evolved and overcame it and now is going to destroy his little body?

He had a follow up on the 7th. I know my vet will be out till Tuesday with labor day. Definitely not going to get any sleep tonight.

Is it possible that it's just allergies and he's going to be ok?

laurainthesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the typos. Let me know if anything needs clarifying.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry! I've been out, not well for a couple of days, and left you hanging! How's your boy?

I'm thinking allergies, or the start of a URI (upper respiratory infection).

The general rule of thumb is, if they are eating, drinking, pottying normally, and their activity level is also normal, you are not in crisis, and can wait. If one or more of those change drastically, or if several go noticably off at once, don't wait!

laurainthesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I talked to the vet receptionist today. They are having to delay Pancakes follow up until Monday. She is trying to get in touch with the doctor to see if he recommends another dose of antibiotics. The shot he had last week was supposed to be equivalent to a 2 week regimen.

I have not heard any more sneezing since Monday but during the week we are not home very much. There is no mucus or leakage from his eyes or nose. His appetite seems normal. His eyes are clear. He seems like he's sleeping a lot.. but cats sleep a lot. Im not sure if it's more than normal. I did notice him sleeping more under my dresser which I've only seen his do in the past when he ripped a claw out and was distressed. He typically likes to sleep in the highest point in the living room. He might be fine. I hate feeling this neurotic.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Stop. He may be just fine. But he may NOT be, and retreating to a place that is normally only used when he doesn't feel well is WORTH PAYING ATTENTION TO! All signs are that he is recovering, and this may be just a lingering "ick" feeling. I've had that myself on occasion...but why take the chance? You are being responsible and caring. NOT neurotic.

laurainthesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we spent all night at the emergency vet for Pancake's brother Shorty (Shortcake), who apparently had developed a blocked urethra over the last 2 days. At first we thought he was peeing a lot, and the plan was to bring him in on Friday with Pancakes to his follow up, but then the follow up was rescheduled and we noticed that Shorty wasn't peeing a lot, he in fact wasn't peeing at all. The condition had been going on for about 2 days, so when we realized how serious it was we drove him up to the vet around midnight last night. He is still in the care of a new vet since mine is still on vacation or wherever he is. Hopefully he will get his catheter out tomorrow and can come home.

Two good things from this. 1. I think i found a better vet that is way closer to us . 2. I've been able to be at home today and can verify that Pancakes has not been sneezing anymore. He's back to sleeping on his tower in the living room. I think he will make it just fine to Monday for his follow up. I am now guessing it was just a little bit of allergies over the weekend. Keeping fingers crossed. I need all my babies to get healthy!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH NO! Poor Shorty! Lighting a candle for him!
00LitCandle.jpeg

Boy, are they right about it being a very ill wind that blows no good! You've managed to find a vet closer to home, and one that you like, so that's a wonderful thing! AND Pancake isn't sneezing!