Accelerated Fur Loss

laurainthesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In just a few days my indoor cat has developed a bald spot that is now 3-4 inches long. We noticed on Saturday he had a small half dollar bald patch near his tail. The next day it was double the size and we also noticed a little spot on the back of the tail. Monday the Sept on back was 3 inches. We out a cone on him in case it was being caused by excessive licking or chewing. Now, 24 hours of having the cone on the size is a little bigger but the area itself seems more red and bald. I ordered some anti fungal wipes for him but i am concerned about how quickly it's getting worse. It doesn't look like ring worm. Nothing has changed recently regarding conditions so not sure how it could be allergies. Any guesses? If it continues to get worse we will take him to the vet but work is such that it probably won't be till next week.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
laurainthesky laurainthesky - This sounds like Malassezia, but that's strictly a guess without a photograph. Your cat isn't a Devon or Cornish Rex by chance?

In all events, you definitely need to see yur veterinarian at the earliest opportunity.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurainthesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand. I guess i will try to get him in tomorrow. He is scared, possibly because the cone and he won't leave our side. Im not comfortable in taking the cone of and I'm not sure if what he had is contagious to humans but i don't want him to be alone either.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please, vet, as soon as you can manage. The onset of this was SO fast that it concerns me. And let us know what you find out, as well!

laurainthesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my bosses were gracious enough to let me take some time this morning to take him the vet. Unfortunately my regular vet is on vacation until Friday. I spoke through all the symptoms with the receptionist and we agreed if any other symptoms pop up or if it gets considerably worse I will take him to a pet hospital. He currently has an appointment for 7am Friday morning. I wish he could've been seen today.

laurainthesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The good news is he seems about the same as yesterday, so at least not worse. We also agreed to take the cone off because it seemed to be little help and added stress. Thanks for the support! Will update when we figure it out.

laurainthesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well keep y'alls fingers crossed! My little buddy's at the vet right now and i should be able to pick him up either on lunch or after work.

laurainthesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Diagnosis: Staph dermatitis, accompanied with and possibly set in motion from ear infection.
Treatment: steroid shot, antibiotic shot, ear drops twice a day for a specific number of days.
Follow up: two weeks

He also has some deficiency so we are trying to increase his omega 3 intake.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
laurainthesky laurainthesky - Thank God! This diagnosis might have been far worse. Here's hoping that that beautiful little fellow thrives for many, many years to come! Thanks once more for keeping us updated! We'd love to see more photos of him in the Photos Forum if chance and time allow.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, this could have been so much worse! I'm so glad you got him seen early, and it is taken care of. Nice work, both you and the vet!

Get well soon, um...what is his name? I can't just call him "Whatshisface"!

laurainthesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol! Thanks!*( We have a few pet rats. Two are named Chicken & Waffles. But our cats are all cakes. Pancakes, Cheesecake, Shortcake(Shorty) and Pattycakes! They are vet famous. Anytime we call the vet I just have to tell them my last name and they know!

Pancakes treatment has already helped him improve a lot. We are starting to see light regrowth and he just FEELS better. We can tell he's back to his sassy self. I hadn't even realized how lethargic and fatigued he'd been until he pepped up.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
RATTIES! I adore ratties! I used to have a good many of them, but with their short (but oh-so-bright) little lives...My favorite three were Yoda-rat (a Dumbo), Lukie Skyscamper (albino), and Darth Squeek (hooded rat). Once you get over the "tail horror," they are just the most entrancing little creatures, and SO danged smart!

Yes, my Hekitty is also vet famous, although, sadly, not in a good way. She does not tolerate her royal self being trifled with well at all.