About My Cat With Urinary Blockage

Tigger987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everyone :-)

To provide a little background:

My male cat experienced pretty painful urinary obstruction a couple of weeks ago for the first time. Took him to the vet and he was given a catheter for 5 days and now he is completely fine and pees normally.

Our vet prescribed him antibiotics and Hill's S/D. He's almost done eating it, so we've bought Hill's C/D both wet and dry for long-term use.

Here are my questions though;

• Is it fine for him to eat both the wet and the dry Hill's Urinary Care C/D or should he eat only one of the two? Is it fine to mix it?
  • Is there a chance of him getting crystals/urinary obstruction again while on this prescription diet? I assume the chances are low, but I want to make sure. We're going away for a holiday, so it wouldn't be too great if it happened while we're overseas.
If any of you have experienced crystals or urinary problems with your cats I would love to hear your stories. It seems like a pretty common thing.

LokiLo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm no doctor but I do work at a veterinary office as a receptionist and there are quite a few cats on Urinary diets Hills C/D and Royal Canin S/O. As far as mixing and using both wet and dry that should be perfectly fine.
The food does help but I would assume nothing is 100% while there is a lower chance of them forming crystals it could still happen - if you are boarding him I'd let the facility know of his issues and give your vets number to them. If a friend or an in home pet sitter is going to be watching your cat I'd let them know the symptoms to watch out for and let your vet know that the pet sitter is authorized to bring your cat in in case of an emergency.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tigger987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much!