About Dealing With Obesity In Cats

Sadia Atique

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Last year(November 2016) I adopted a stray cat, age unknown, vet guessed about 2 years of age. When I adopted her, she weighted about 3.5 kg. After one month of adoption, she became 5 kg! But at that time I assumed it was because probably she starved as a stray, now getting regular access to food caused the weight gain. She runs, but cannot jump far due to her weight, she has a bulky structure. Now, after about one year, she weights about 6.4 kg!! I freaked out when last time I checked her weight, because at this rate, she might have health problems due to her weight! She mostly eats dry food, but recently I have started feeding her boiled chicken, alongside dry food hoping that she would consume less dry food, and lose some weight. Her height is about 13-14 inch, Length about 18.5 inch.

IMG_20170904_073450.jpg
IMG_20170904_073450.jpg
IMG_20170904_073521.jpg

I don't know how to help her reduce weight. Could someone please help me in this situation with possible advice? :(

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadia Atique Sadia Atique - From your photographs, this cat appears extremely fit, and very well-muscled (muscle weighs far more than does fat). Adding foods besides dry food - especially commercial canned foods if they're available to you - will certainly work to keep her weight down, but - and this personal, and not professional opinion - she seems a beautiful, well-proportioned cat.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi, are you free feeding her with dry food? Dry food causes wet gain in cats as they are full of carbohydrates.

To help her loose weight, feed her wet canned food which is protein based and that will help her reduce weight with scheduled feedings.

Cats needs certain supplements found in canned food where home cooked chicken cannot offer that as she'll be short if certain vitamins deficiencies.

Unbalanced Diets - Are You Killing Your Cat With Kindness?
What Makes The Best Canned Cat Food?
Transitioning Free-fed Kibble Kitties To Timed Meals
Is Your Cat Overweight?
How To Choose The Right Food For Your Cat
Choosing The Right Food For Your Cat - Part 2
Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food (canned, Raw, Or Homemade)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sadia Atique

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sadia Atique Sadia Atique - From your photographs, this cat appears extremely fit
This might be because I could not focus on her fatty area, due to how she sat at that moment. When she sits, her belly fat sags downward, I am giving some pictures to try to show you what I am talking about.

Also I am concerned about her mobility. She cannot jump where my other thinner cats seem to reach easily :(

Attachments

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadia Atique Sadia Atique - Cats have belly fat, as do nearly animals, intended to protect their viscera. Nearly all domestic cats have a primordial pouch, which protects their stomachs. Your cat is not "obese" by any standard. Even this big fellow, at 16 kg doesn't qualify medically as "obese:"

bob_scottiecat.jpg

Sadia Atique

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually I am not very sure about anything, but she looks fatter than our other cats, and also moves less, has less mobility, eats more than others. That's why she seems obese to me. Is it normal for her to have less mobility? I mean, your big fella seems to be the kind of breed who are naturally bigger, but all my cats are sort of same type breed, local, shorthair, not so big frame structure...

Sadia Atique

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, are you free feeding her with dry food? Dry food causes wet gain in cats as they are full of carbohydrates.

To help her loose weight, feed her wet canned food which is protein based and that will help her reduce weight with scheduled feedings.

Cats needs certain supplements found in canned food where home cooked chicken cannot offer that as she'll be short if certain vitamins deficiencies.

Unbalanced Diets - Are You Killing Your Cat With Kindness?
What Makes The Best Canned Cat Food?
Transitioning Free-fed Kibble Kitties To Timed Meals
Is Your Cat Overweight?
How To Choose The Right Food For Your Cat
Choosing The Right Food For Your Cat - Part 2
Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food (canned, Raw, Or Homemade)
Hi, Thanks for your informative links :)

Actually, I have multiple cats, so I free feed them dry food. Three of my cats eat boiled chicken, one won't touch anything in the world except the dry food! So I am at a bit loss about how to schedule to feed them.

Also, I live in Bangladesh, canned food is not available much here. I tried some, but they gave my cats allergic reaction, and as brand choice is very limited, I decided to go with plain boiled chicken. Can I make something at home for them? Also, is feeding 3 times enough, considering I gave them enough amount? Also I was thinking if there was any sort of exercise for cats, that would help...

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi, Thanks for your informative links :)

Actually, I have multiple cats, so I free feed them dry food. Three of my cats eat boiled chicken, one won't touch anything in the world except the dry food! So I am at a bit loss about how to schedule to feed them.

Also, I live in Bangladesh, canned food is not available much here. I tried some, but they gave my cats allergic reaction, and as brand choice is very limited, I decided to go with plain boiled chicken. Can I make something at home for them? Also, is feeding 3 times enough, considering I gave them enough amount? Also I was thinking if there was any sort of exercise for cats, that would help...
My boy does not eat home cooked food as I don't do it for him and I can't advise you on this. You can post your questions here instead :- Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food. Members over at this thread is in a better position to advise you.

For exercises, you can use ping pong balls for her to chase and push around or use a feather wand and play with her as it mimicke a bird and she can play hunt with you. But just make sure the string don't get her tangled up.

But of course, it depends on the cat. Some like to play and run about and some would just prefer to laze around.