A reminder to avoid any grievous injuries to our cats

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Dear all cat mommies and cat daddies,

This is a reminder to all of us each time when we are moving stuffs around the house or back from grocery shopping or carrying anything bulky items in our arms that is out in front of our chest and blocking our view. Many times, not noticing that the cat is right in front of us.

We just pick up the items and turn around without checking the blind spot, front, below or behind. Cats are fond to be found near our legs and with the items blocking our view, we at times step on them, kick them and maybe fall over them in the process of moving stuffs and this may cause grievous injuries to them which we don't want this to happen.

Many cats have been injured and some cats have suffered more than the others due to our negligence :alright:

Please look around before moving off and make sure that the coast is clear so that our cats may stay safe. This is a reminder that I always remind myself and I hope that all of you too will remind yourself :thumbsup:

Also if you have any other suggestions as reminders to watch out for the cats, please do include them here. Thank you :)

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remind myself often, usually as I am tripping over one of them. Thank goodness they move faster than me. The inside cats have heard me yell enough that they stay away from my feet, unless I am standing still. The outside cats are the worst, they see me coming with food and are twining around my legs all the way down the deck stairs. I try to get out when they aren't lurking.
Another danger this time of the year is starting your cars with cats around. I started one the other day and a cat ran out, it scared me and now I am reminding everyone to bang on their hood before getting in. thank goodness the newer car's fans don't engage until you go into drive that's good. But the serpentine belt is going! We were at my Father in laws yesterday, banged the hood before we left and three kittens ran out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
The outside cats are the worst, they see me coming with food and are twining around my legs all the way down the deck stairs.
Yea, sometimes they try to 'help' but gets in the way

banged the hood before we left and three kittens ran out!
Good thing you gave a bang to the hood. It's a good reminder to do that too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another thing, which happens to me all the time - turn the light on at night in any room you enter to avoid stepping on your cat - or use nightlights or your cell phone light. Feeby lays on the floor directly in pathways all the time and doesn't even attempt to move if one of us gets up at night. A form of light has saved her 'butt' on many occasions!!!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear all cat mommies and cat daddies,

This is a reminder to all of us each time when we are moving stuffs around the house or back from grocery shopping or carrying anything bulky items in our arms that is out in front of our chest and blocking our view. Many times, not noticing that the cat is right in front of us.

We just pick up the items and turn around without checking the blind spot, front, below or behind. Cats are fond to be found near our legs and with the items blocking our view, we at times step on them, kick them and maybe fall over them in the process of moving stuffs and this may cause grievous injuries to them which we don't want this to happen.

Many cats have been injured and some cats have suffered more than the others due to our negligence :alright:

Please look around before moving off and make sure that the coast is clear so that our cats may stay safe. This is a reminder that I always remind myself and I hope that all of you too will remind yourself :thumbsup:
Great info! We all need a reminder sometimes

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Another thing, which happens to me all the time - turn the light on at night in any room you enter to avoid stepping on your cat - or use nightlights or your cell phone light. Feeby lays on the floor directly in pathways all the time and doesn't even attempt to move if one of us gets up at night. A form of light has saved her 'butt' on many occasions!!!
Oh yes, this too, especially if the cat is of a dark color. Sometimes I need to get into a room without turning on the lights just to get something and each time I enter a dark room I always call out for my boy and see if he's there.

I'm honestly more worried they are gong to kill me as they are always getting under my feet and legs tripping me.
That's why it's good to remind ourselves to check before we move.

That's the 'other' benefit of trying to 'protect' them, you also protect yourself!!
That's right

Thank you for a great reminder 💞
Great info! We all need a reminder sometimes
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

I have to look every time I sit down too! The other thing I would like mentioned is Reclining chairs. I won’t have one here because of the risk to kitties. It’s very easy for them to get caught underneath.
Oh yea, reclining chairs are dangerous too as we don't have 👀 on our butts.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We don't need to be carrying stuffs to step on our cats. sometimes while standing at the table and doing something and we just move off without looking down and around to see if the cat is at our feet as some cats are lap cats by laying or sitting near us.

Also the other thing is closing and opening the door. Often times the cat is near the door and we just open or close hard without looking down and and close the door on them or have their paws caught beneath the door or have their tails or head slammed shut by the door.

Zerthax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is actually something I think about quite a bit.

When moving furniture or anything really heavy, don't be afraid to put the kitties in another room and close the door. Prevent them from getting into your space when engaging in any sort of activity that might be particularly dangerous to them.

Also, a good idea to discourage cats from hanging around in hazardous areas. This would include around laundry machines and in the kitchen. I personally do a headcount when doing the laundry to make sure everyone is accounted for.

Window blind cords are a strangulation hazard, so I've wound mine up and put them out of reach. It does make them a pain to adjust, but at least they aren't a hazard.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I try to slide my feet when backing up rather than picking them up. Also if I hear elephant feet on the stairs I stop walking. How does something so small walk so loudly 🤣