A Pair Of 4 Week Old Orphaned Kittens

arctiguins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I am taking care of 2 rescued kittens, siblings female and male. I brought them to the vet and they are estimated to be 4 to 6 weeks old. The rescuers are inexperienced kitten people, though they bottle fed them milk, they also fed them tuna. So when I got them like the very next day, I started to try to properly wean them. But I'm alittle unsure how to go from here as my first two rescued cats were older when I got them. So I am also kind of not experienced. Just been reading and watching alot of videos to help me, plus vet advice. Right now I am feeding a slurry of kitten wet can food (pate style) and formula milk.

The male, Jayjay seems to be sucking on the food rather than biting and licking.The female Karly, isn't as bad as Jayjay. If she chances on a chunk she bites it. I stopped really blending in the milk with the wet food. I sort of mix it up alittle as compared to like totally blending them together. I've read that once they confidently start eating slurry I could go straight into feeding only wet food but making sure that they have sufficient water.

Looking for advice because I started to put in less milk for two days and I think the girl started to have alittle harder poo cause she would scream before potty so I decided to put more milk in two of her meals the next day, she stopped screaming. But the poo does seem alittle dry. So I decided to syringe feed some water. I have fresh water throughout. But I think they don't want to drink it because of the milk in the slurry.

Should I totally convert them to wet food and syringe feed them water for the time being? Some people have said that when they're thirsty they'd automatically drink the water, but because of the poo situation, I'm afraid to just leave them on their own. Worried it would be too late when they start drinking water on their own and their poo is super hard.

Hope any of you with kitten experience could help me.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You seems to do all right on your own. Thinking common sense is usually good enough! :)

If you want an alternative to formula milk, you can use goats milk. Its cheaper and as good. Raw goats milk has even some advantages in some situations.

They are so young some goats milk or formula is still OK and in place.

If they eat only wet food and with some formula added, it covers the need of fluids. That is why they arent interested in water as yet. But you are entirely right, its important they are well hydrated.
And being well hydrated is the first step in preventing constipation.

Normal poo is rather hard, sausages or pears-alike. So part of it, they had so far soft toothpaste kitten poo, and NOW is begings to be formed... So Im not sure its constipation for real, perhaps just more strenous pooing?...

Anyways, next step is to give some oil with the food. A couple of drops in every meal. Almost any food oil works, but coldpressed (organic style) is healthy and good nourishment in itself. Olive oil, rapeseed oil or coconut oil are the three preferred by me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arctiguins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! That is very very helpful information! Thank you also for the support! I was very excited about getting the kittens but so so worried I may do something wrong as it is their vital stage right now!

Alright, I stay in Singapore and goats milk is really hard to come by. It’s also very expensive here if I can get it. :/ tiny island with almost non-existent natural resources. I think I’ll have to stick to kmr formula for now.

Anyways, next step is to give some oil with the food. A couple of drops in every meal. Almost any food oil works, but coldpressed (organic style) is healthy and good nourishment in itself. Olive oil, rapeseed oil or coconut oil are the three preferred by me.
A question about this part! Do I start putting the oil inclusive with the amount of milk I am putting right now or do I start putting the oil and lessening the milk given? I hope my question is not confusing. Thank you so much for your help!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Continue with the slurry until they are a bit older. They will get there soon. Don't rush things!

arctiguins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the responses everyone! :)

arctiguins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of the kitties just had diarrhea! Don’t know which one though.. they are both still really active. Called up the vet, they told me to come in just in case. As their bodies are fragile and may deteriorate fast.

I haven’t changed the diet since. Not added the oil yet cause I just saw your messages yesterday. No change in anything else as well. They haven’t got vaccinated. Vet wanted to assume 4 weeks instead of 6. I’ll be going to the vet soon. Update you all when I’m back!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
IF they continue to have diarrhea more than occasionally, you must give them pedialyte or some equivalent. Ie something which contains salts and electrolytes.

Bough or homemade.

Clear flavorless pedialyte for babies is good, if you want to buy something.

arctiguins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay!

Just went to the vet. They found that their stomach has started to bloat up so possible diarrhea from worms. Was given their first dewormer. I found out it was probably the girl with diarrhea as the boy pooed a second time and it was solid. The girl is still alert and not dehydrated so I am told not needed to give electrolytes yet but just need to entice more water intake by giving diluted no salt chicken broth. If diarrhea persists or they are weak, will bring back to vet. Also advices to fully wean and do not require milk anymore as they are estimated to be 5 - 6 weeks old.

Keeping a close watch on them!