A Lump...

---ilovekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Meeko, who just gave birth last Sunday, but still has a lump now the size of a soft ball under her nipple. This is the same lump I have talked about in a post before. I know I need to take her to the vet, and I surely will, when i can. But does anyone know what this might be? Is it a dead baby? or something more serious? Please help.

Last edited:

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is nothing to mess with and I recommend getting her to the vet as soon as possible. Not to scare you, but it may be mammary cancer. It could also be an infection, but either way, you need to take her to the vet ASAP.

I wouldn't lean toward it being a dead baby given its location.

Does she act like it hurts? Is she in discomfort?

to you and Meeko,

Jules

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

---ilovekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has had this for awhile now, && hasnt shown any type of discomfort... See i noticed this before she had the kittens, but at the time didnt know she was even pregnant. But now after having the kittens it seems to have gotten bigger. :-( Is mammory cancer normal in cats? I mean, like is it a common thing? :( Im so sad now. Im worried about her, what if the kittens pop it from sucking... it seems to be poking out so much her veins are showing... :( I dont have any money to take her to the vet, shoot, I dont even have money for a taxi to take her to the vet... At least not until next week... :( I dont know what to do until then...

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh honey, I hear ya on money being tight. Have you looked into any of the possibilities for help with paying here at TCS: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/155462/cant-afford-a-vet-please-read

Would your vet work out a payment plan? This really needs to be looked at--sorry, don't mean to make you feel worse.

Mammary cancer is more common in older kitties; not sure how old your mum kitty is, but it is the third most common cancer in kitties, especially those that aren't spayed. More info here: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2445&S=2

It may be she has an infection in one of her breasts (mastitis), but that presents with a breast that is red, hot, hard, and painful, and may be accompanied by fever and loss of appetite. If that is what she has, she would be put on an antibiotic and not be able to nurse her babies--the antibiotic can kill the little ones.

More big ole (((hugs)))!

Jules

reekajane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right after a cat gives birth the uterus kinda balls up, it feels hard, when palpating. It feels like she has 1 more kitten in her. It should go away in a few days. The concern would be if she has a light pink discharge. This would be pus & blood mixed together indicating an infection. A little bloody discharge is normal.

reekajane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it is a mastitis give her a shot of penicillin. You want it to pop and drain. No worries cats are tough. I had a cat do fine with a mastitis with the kitten nursing. 

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right after a cat gives birth the uterus kinda balls up, it feels hard, when palpating. It feels like she has 1 more kitten in her. It should go away in a few days. The concern would be if she has a light pink discharge. This would be pus & blood mixed together indicating an infection. A little bloody discharge is normal.
She had the lump before she had the kittens.
If it is a mastitis give her a shot of penicillin. You want it to pop and drain. No worries cats are tough. I had a cat do fine with a mastitis with the kitten nursing. 
JMHO, but I would not advise giving a "shot of penicillin" unsupervised by a vet, and definitely not keep nursing if she did need an antibiotic. Yes, cats can be tough, but they can also be quite delicate. A mama cat's immune system is compromised after giving birth and putting all her energy into raising her babies.

Sorry, don't mean to be disagreeable here...

Jules

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

---ilovekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@WollyCat: Thank You sweetie, I didn't know about TCS helping, thats very very helpful. My Meeko is under a year old, she was a stray I found outside my apartment. Honestly she still looks like a kitten. As far as having an infection only her nipple is red, but like I said it seems to be poking out, like a purplish red color && you can see her veins. I prayed she will be ok. The more I think about it the more I get worried. Im afraid the kittens are going to pop it open with their aggressive eating habits. They are kicking each other and smacking each other, its kinda cute && funny. But yea Im really scared. Im honestly probably worrying too much, but shoot, its better to be worried then not be worried at all.

@Reekajane: Thank You. Can the mastitis be harmful for the kittens? If they drink the milk from that nipple, could it be bad milk?

Last edited:

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just to be clear, TCS doesn't do the helping, but provides links to organizations that do.
Please do check them out to see what help you can get as soon as you can. I would also call your vet to get an idea as to cost and if they would offer a [low] payment plan. A lot of vets are very understanding and will work with you.

I would think with mastitis that it would be too painful for mama to allow a baby to nurse there. Hmmm...but your further description does sound a lot like it, but you said she had the lump before and that it has grown quite a bit, so I'm waffling a bit on this. You can check out this link for more info on mastitis: http://www.cat-world.com.au/mastitis-in-cats It's serious, so get your butt in gear, girl!
Said out of love for kitties!

Aw, you're not a bad cat mom (I don't like the term 'owner'--if anything, they own us
)--if you didn't care you wouldn't have posted about it.

I'm sending prayers for financial help for you...and including lots of cyber

Jules and the ever-present, in my face, Kitty Krew, LOL.