A Lot Of (still) Newbie Questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a plastic tub in the garage. I have their toys in there and pull out early evening for them to play with. I changed the perspective. I put the cam inside the house to watch while I sit outside with the cats to do my work. It's working a charm. Treasure is here laying in front of me while I'm doing surveys and my phone call mystery shops. :)

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
It just dawned upon me to do it that way. Also because I won't be doing these mystery shop phone calls in front of my Mom ("You know you don't live in Ohio") lol And Treasure just took off playing with Shaman. Also I sat there working while Shadow came to eat while Treasure laid away a bit but no hissing. Of course this could change in the next instance but for the past 4 hours it was very peaceful. Night time I can fix my area in the basement so that Mom doesn't even find the cat food.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Now to rearrange the area in a way that the cats won't be overwhelmed as I know cats don't like change.

BTW: are you familiar with those Mylar bags that Whole Foods uses when they deliver your food to you to keep the perishables cool? It's not the ones that keep them hot but keep food cool? I wonder if there's anything I can do with those? I have like 5 of them here. I'll upload a photo of the bag in just a minute.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering what I can do with these bags. Surely there's something I can do with them in regard to the cats but I can't think of anything. Line the inside of a cooler for ice pack and food? Maybe place the cooler inside the box they like to sleep on to keep sturdy and place the bowl of food and water just inside? That's all I can think of at the moment. If you have any ideas I would appreciate it. :)

28055AF9-81A5-4AE4-A223-F7359EBF7FDF.jpeg
3B2D5384-D110-4791-B268-183274F4C8D1.jpeg

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgot to tell you. Last night on cam I watched a raccoon rearrange the cat toys and then started playing with them. He did a better job arranging then I did. I may hire him.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you stabilize the card board box with some pieces of 2x4 or something? Styrofoam sheets? Might have to get creative to come up with something to reinforce the box.

Can you talk to your family? maybe they can help figure out ways to help you out.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
My family lives 5 states away, sadly. I could ask them but to tell the truth I'm doing good to use a hammer or a screwdriver lol

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering maybe they can help with your Mom, you should be able to leave your house whenever you want, just wondering if they could help with the issues with your Mom.

Also maybe they can help you figure out how to get the cat food into the house, unless they would be against it.

Even tho they live far away they could still help you figure this out so you don't have to spend so much on cat food, you are spending a lot of money on cat food! They know the situation with your Mom right?

also I think someone posted earlier about calling in for Senior help, there is something called Respite care, this is for someone to come in so you can get a break.
To sneak away and buy cheaper cat food?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Being outdoor cats don't you think that the storms would not scare these cats? They survived the tornado, minus 50 degree weather, why would a heavy rain scare them and what can I do to calm them during that time. Does that Feliway work outdoors and do all cats take to it?

Last edited:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Feliway only works well in closed areas - even a draft house is not very good because it doesn’t get concentrated enough.

As for how to help, I think providing as much shelter as you are able to is all you can do with outdoor kitties. They probably have places they run to for shelter if they’ve been outside a while. Olive was our outdoor kitty that a neighbor looked after but didn’t provide any shelter from the elements. We bought a K & H outdoor cat house and when it rained for a week she practically lived there. So obviously that was better than wherever she would go before. If you can provide any waterproof shelters like a storage tote that might be good for them, although they might not use it also.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
They have a travel Feliway I noticed which was the one I was talking about. And they have the boxes outside that they lay on, I have photos of it in this thread). I'm just confused. From everything I read stray/feral cats should be used to the rain and storms, especially when out of 365 days only 5 days there was no storm. I"m banging my head against the wall with this situation. If they don't run scared of baby squirrels and birds, then they run scared from the rain, or if someone comes near during that rain. They go in the boxes during the nice clear days so I'm puzzled why they don't take refuge in them during the bad weather. They don't catch on like most cats I've read. We're now up to 4 weeks of scheduled feedings and they haven't got it yet. 5 weeks of clicker training and they still don't get that. I have no idea what's going on but as you read through this thread, there's a lot of things that just are "not working" in this situation.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
In response about senior care and relatives, Senior care or the assimile of, charge $500 a month here for that. I don't have the money or she (my Mom) would have to approve to be taken from insurance which she won't. The family are not her blood relatives, they despise cats so no help or ideas on that and since I was adopted and not blood related they sort of think of Mom and I as outsiders since my Dad passed away in 2005. All of Mom's relatives are dead, and neighbors here are not to be trusted or don't want to help. I don't have a credit card or a debit card so delivery things like Shipt, Postmates etc do not work for me. Ever since 5 local grocery stores and 2 big box stores had employees steal thousands of dollars from our accounts off the cc 4 years ago I cancelled them all and use gift card only. While I got the money returned it was a hassle getting fixed. Which is why I use PrimeNow. I can use the Amazon gift cards I earn and apply that to food. Sadly I'm totally alone in this situation.

When I was down and out and needed $20 (this was 3 years ago) to apply to full upper tooth extraction (no insurance) I couldn't get a single person to help me. I had 20 so called good friends and not one of them could even spare a dollar. Not judging but just giving an example as to the "lack of" help I get around here.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry about your situation I can tell it's pretty hard on you.
I think there is respite care that you can get for free, if your Mom would accept it.
It's just someone that comes in for a day so the caregiver can go shopping or whatever, to get a break.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly Mom won't accept that. I tried something similar and she got so upset she went into a heart attack. She won't even let anyone inside the house at all, not even for a few seconds unless it's to repair a fridge or whatever.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
As for the travel Feliway, I have seen wipes and sprays. I think in an enclosed space like a carrier they work well, but they evaporate after a little while and you have to reapply. You could try that on the cat furniture or boxes, it might help.

Also, regarding them not acting like “normal” ferals or strays and being more chill about the storm: how long ago were they kicked out of their old owner’s house? If they don’t have hunting instincts like you said, they may not be very good at weathering storms either - or at least they may act like a normal indoor housecat. I saw you said you’ve been seeing them around at least 10 months ago, so they probably have a safe spot from bad weather, but that may be why they are a little more frightened than you expect? Just a thought.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
As for the travel Feliway, I have seen wipes and sprays. I think in an enclosed space like a carrier they work well, but they evaporate after a little while and you have to reapply. You could try that on the cat furniture or boxes, it might help.

Also, regarding them not acting like “normal” ferals or strays and being more chill about the storm: how long ago were they kicked out of their old owner’s house? If they don’t have hunting instincts like you said, they may not be very good at weathering storms either - or at least they may act like a normal indoor housecat. I saw you said you’ve been seeing them around at least 10 months ago, so they probably have a safe spot from bad weather, but that may be why they are a little more frightened than you expect? Just a thought.
They were kicked out of the owner's house close to 2 years ago. But again, every day for the past year we had storms which they had to endure, and a lot worse than what we had this morning. From the time they were kicked out to the time I saw them they went through the raiding commercial dumpsters, being kicked, rocks thrown at them and all until this kind woman contacted the local TNR group. Then after they were returned, the day they were returned in fact, is when I saw Shaman for the first time. It was one of those rare sunny days that anymore I sometimes forget what the sun looks like. I really am not joking when I say we only had 5 clear and sunny days in the past 365 days. In fact it was a horrible storm the day I fell and fractured my humerus the day before I met Shaman. And the rest of the year has been equally strange with weather.