A Lot Of (still) Newbie Questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Hang in there!! You're doing better than you think :)
Why do they come 2 hours before breakfast waiting for food? This morning I woke up to Treasure staring inside the window from the outside steps. She isn't yowling but looking at the cam she is laying there now staring at the food bowl. I've been feeding them now at 7:30 am for a little over 3 weeks. And I can't just go upstairs and turn off the burglar alarm waking up my Mom or I"ll be out there with them with no means of feeding them. Leaving food out overnight of course is out because of racoons and possums. This is a mess.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I"m at my wits end with this feeding situation. Barring picking up and taking to vet, why are they always crying for food? Everytime I open the door they come running and stand by the food bowl. I've had them on a schedule for a little over 3 weeks now and they just don't seem to "get it". To be frank, I don't get it either. I thought cats didn't eat til gorging like dogs do. I never had this situation with Pepper. :(

Most know the situation I face with my mother, so I can't be running outside every 2 seconds to feed them. I'm chancing it enough as it is and get no help with my Mom.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Because of the feeding tragedy the cats have taken to digging through people's garbage. A complaint was filed against me. I'm broken hearted over this entire situation. :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh and now it's severe storms again. So more food being wasted adding to the food tragedy drama I already have. I'm in tears over this

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much do you feed them?

Don't go buying expensive food at Whole Foods if money is tight. Pick a mid-level brand (I find Purina ONE or Purina Naturals are good for outside cats) and try to stick to it, unless money is especially tight then it's fine to get something cheaper (Cat Chow and Special Kitty Premium are my ferals' favorites of the cheap foods).

Why is the storm resulting in wasted food?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Only reason I do Prime Now is because I cannot leave the house to buy food without Mom inspecting. I cannot get anything delivered to me from Amazon, UPS, FedEx or Post Office without Mom inspecting. Prime Now (Whole Foods) is the only one I know that will deliver free (what I need for the month) during the hours Mom and I are gone on Fridays. Trust me I thought of other solutions and the biggest obstacle to my food tragedy is my Mom. I have no siblings, no husband, no children and Dad is passed on. Relatives are 5 states away and neighbors won't take the delivery and put in the back so Mom doesn't see. So sadly I'm stuck with this situation. :(

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I just read the other thread in the food forum. I guess all you can do is find out which one they like best and order that one.

Is it possible to get a meeting with adult social services? I know it's difficult to deal with a family member with dementia, but you also can't let them hold your life hostage. Plus you shouldn't have to worry about being kicked out when you're the caregiver. Maybe they have some classes about how to cope with being a caregiver to someone with dementia.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
How much do you feed them?

Don't go buying expensive food at Whole Foods if money is tight. Pick a mid-level brand (I find Purina ONE or Purina Naturals are good for outside cats) and try to stick to it, unless money is especially tight then it's fine to get something cheaper (Cat Chow and Special Kitty Premium are my ferals' favorites of the cheap foods).

Why is the storm resulting in wasted food?
Oh and the money is only tight til the 30th. I'll get my 3 months pay from mystery shopping then and so I can just go ahead and use a gift card for that.

The storm results in wasted food because Shaman hides in the bushes. And as usual, with the mother I have, it's hard to keep running outside all the time to feed her. She can only eat wet food

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I just read the other thread in the food forum. I guess all you can do is find out which one they like best and order that one.

Is it possible to get a meeting with adult social services? I know it's difficult to deal with a family member with dementia, but you also can't let them hold your life hostage. Plus you shouldn't have to worry about being kicked out when you're the caregiver. Maybe they have some classes about how to cope with being a caregiver to someone with dementia.
I can look into that and see. But then again I have no one to stay with Mom. Mom has a hard time walking, and sometimes needs someone with her to go from room to room. Of course, she'll say she's ok. She won't even go to a doctor. I tried the previous suggestion of us both going and she was fine but the day came and she called her doctor cancelling and told me to go by myself. Trust me nothing works with her. She breaks the rule books on elderly people. I have dealt with her for 63 years, but then Dad was around to diffuse a lot of this. She was always stubborn and set in her ways and more so now.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like Shaman no longer wanta to be with Treasure. My heart is broke over this. Treasure is outside crying pitifully.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Hang in there - things may change back again. I'm guessing a fair bit of the meowing is because Treasure wants in the house.
They made up and this morning, although it can change by lunch or supper, Shaman likes dry mixed with wet and a handful of freshpet. Now the two are ganging up on their brother Noobs. And their other littermate that I just named Wichapi (Lakota for Star) showed up yesterday evening. Usually that one doesn't come out til after dark and accompanied by Treasure. All black but with the customary tabby tail (black and white) and a white star on the forehead so I named that one Wichapi for that reason. Took off across the yard much like Treasure did in the beginning.

I'm going to see if some kindly neighbor can build a simple catio. I was thinking of maybe a nice seating area in it for me as well, blocking Mom's view of the cat stuff for when she comes outside

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wish there was a way to spend more time with them then watching on cam and rushing in and out. But as usual Mom. I know cats are smart but not sure if they understand this. Or at least find a way of tying a kitty hammock to the outside of the windows so they can lay there and watch me. They don't seem to notice the live cam I have of myself out there, as I have two going, one that I can watch them and one that they can watch me. Too bad things are different around here with Mom.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no. My heart is breaking in two. I thought they made up but they just had a blood and fur fight with one another. Much like how Shaman and Shadow (who I haven't seen for 24 hours) goes at one another. This is so very sad. They used to be best buddies. :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
And, again as usual, Mom has been downstairs messing up the feeding schedule again. This is horrible :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
And the food spoilage begins again. I"m in tears over this. One cat likes to go on 48 hour adventures every so often then comes back hungry and tired. Another is scared and runs off hiding. Treasure is trying to make amends with Shaman (wherever they are). And Shaman can only eat wet food but the times she shows up Mom is downstairs and so going outside to feed is out of the question. Meanwhile I'm winding up with bunch of ecstatic ants and roaches, my gift card for Amazon doesn't arrive til Friday, no cash because I spent it all at the stores when down there (have to hide in my purse). And the cycle continues. I guess unless you live this situation it's hard to comprehend that this is what I deal with constantly. I just don't know. I'm really at wits end on this thing. :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We are rooting for you and cheering you on, don't give up. Your patience and perseverance is admirable and inspiring :hugs: :crossfingers: