A Lot Of (still) Newbie Questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Shadow has still not shown up but looking at the last footage of her she was walking with her tail up with the slight curve forward and if I'm interpreting that correct that means contentment? Please correct me if I'm wrong. The lady who cuts my yard does know which cat I'm talking about and says that Shadow has been in the area for year with no kittens but up the street her father has a dog house with straw (no dog) and feeds and she's seen Shadow up there lots of times (although not this last time). I'm going to talk to her father and see if he wants to take in Shadow. Shadow is not liked by these cats and he (the man) lost his wife last year and although he can be cantakours at times he is all alone. He and Shadow would be good for each other and Shadow will be happy. I'll offer to do the TNR for him though. He's 76 years old and alone so like I said they'd be good for one another.

Also 7:30 am Shaman and Treasure were outside waiting but I still used the clicker method (btw there's a free clicker app on Android or iPhone that does the same thing). So while they watched I put the food down, clicked once, told Alexa to "Relax my cat" (a skill) and waited.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides whatever happened or didn't happen to Shadow I still have Shaman and Treasure to look after. I just hope if something happened to Shadow she knows that I loved her.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Shadow returned and like the pushover I am I broke my rule and fed her as I have no idea if she's been fed or not. Maybe I'm the problem with this feeding schedule but she looked so hungry when she came. Shaman is at a distance watching the traitor (me) feeding Shadow. Finally Shaman took off in a huff pouting. This is never going to work is it?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
First Shadow returned very hungry. Yes I caved on my feeding schedule but she did look a bit "weak" so I fed her. Shaman took off mad and pouting but eventually Shadow left with tail high up in air with slight curve backward. I'm not good at tail interpretation, is that content? Anyway I wanted to try something so I put the bowl in the box I have for the cats to go in. Shaman and Treasure came back and both found the bowl and poked their head inside to eat. Before they wouldn't do that so once I get the bowl all the way to the back of the box I'll try with the traps again. I consider this progress. I feel like a meanie though, although the ultimate goal is to adopt at least Shaman and Treasure. And Shadow if the guy up the street doesn't feel like he's up to it. Anyway I was so excited I wanted to share this here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Pardon me for saying this, but you're associating human emotions to the cats which is probably the main part of this that isn't working.

Cats live in the moment for the most part and their emotional landscape isn't as complicated as ours. Shaman could have heard something or smelled something in another yard that got her attention. Since you have no way of knowing what she actually was reacting to, try and relax. These cats are super sensitive to your emotions, so you need to be calm and serene with a lot of inner peace.

A raised tail is a good thing :)

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
:yess: !! See, I knew it,:thumbsup: you rock!!
Thanks again. I'm sure the taming process so I can adopt them will be easier once they are spayed/neutered. Although Shaman rolled around on her back looking at me just 2 feet away from me this morning while I was gathering up the dirty dishes so I take that as a good sign too

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Treasure is picking up Shaman's habit. Come to the food bowl with a cat I never saw before. "Hey, this is the all you can eat buffet". Shaman did that at the beginning too. lol

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
haha and of course, cats are contrary. I set food out, click the clicker and they ignore me and don't come. Ugh lol typical cats. They'll wander in after I clean up the dishes wanting to know where their food is lol

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
C18ABF4E-41E8-49BA-829E-8834015ED4DF.png
Shadow first in line for breakfast. 2 hours early but she’s here waiting.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
EC436543-55E2-45EF-8D79-D7B35384FCC7.jpeg
Master of climbing trees. She gets down good too. Especially when food is involved.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, true to my word she climbed down the tree, saw Shadow the two of them got into a blood and fur fight and Shaman ran off limping. Neighbor next door call on disturbance so I'm going to have to find a way of putting up a catio behind the garage separating them or something. Police already talked to me about the noise of the cat fights (like I have control over that)

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
The food problem may be solved. At the moment I'm recording when they come to eat and will work a schedule around that after a week of observing. Someone ordered me one of those mini fridges that run on your USB off a computer so that could keep the food cool enough to not spoil. I really can't afford to buy the wet food that Shaman eats because of few teeth and then let it spoil on her. I already wen through $50 of wet food on her in the past 2 weeks because the food went bad. This way if each one has a feeding schedule it may stop the blood and fur flying fights that go on.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Whew you have a lot going on. Bless you for taking all of it on and loving these cats when you have also have your mom to care for.

I think the time-range you have for feeding is just fine. Lots of people bring in dishes in the evening so as to not attract other wildlife like raccoons. The cats will be fine.

I don't usually have toys for outdoor community cats or ferals. They are outdoors so have plenty of stimulation already but maybe someone else would have input. IMO if your mom is going to be distressed about cat toys outside then I'd hold off as the cats don't really need them.

It's not a bad idea to get them used to the clicker. IME feral cats know when you are coming and they know when you put out food and they can even predict when you will come and anticipate your arrival if you stick to even a remotely similar schedule. There's certainly no harm in trying to clicker train. I would not use the clicker when the cats are close at first. House-cats are better with dealing with novel sounds.

I'm not sure if I understand your last question fully. It's so much easier if you have someone helping especially if you want to TnR and can't hold a cat for recovery at your mom's having a second person to help would just be fantastic.

If you are worried about one cat being jealous of the other..that's not really something cats do. What matters to them is cat communication. So right now if you have one cat that waits to eat until the other is done- it's not rejection or depression it's just that cat doesn't have the confidence YET to approach and eat while the other is. Nine times out of ten it's the submissive cat sending signals to the more confident cats that they are uncertain of how to behave (which sets the confident cat on edge). In time I bet they will eat from the same bowl.
I thought for sure I replied to you yesterday but guess I didn't. The clicker is still not working with these cats. I may have to postpone clicker training for a bit. I tried once and now they don't trust me anymore like they were. And I'm sure they sense the tension I have from hiding this from my Mom before she blows a fuse. They have all 3 poked their head in the box I made for them, and Shaman went all the way to the back but I made the mistake of the clicker and she was 1/4 acre away before I threw the treat to her. Maybe I'm just not quick enough yet.