A little TOO affectionate

valvatorez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A couple days ago I rescued my three month old kitten, Raspberyl, from a shelter. She's a total sweetheart and has taken to her new surroundings immediately, constantly purring, exploring, and requesting cuddles. Honestly, I couldn't ask for a nicer little friend.

My one concern is nighttime. I last had a cat about 8 years ago, who was fully grown when I got her. I kept her catbed in my room, but occasionally she would hop into my bed instead. She was very well behaved when she did so, so I didn't mind. Usually didn't even notice until morning.

Ras, however, is still a baby and a lot less independent. In the shelter she was roomed with her two siblings, so she's not used to being alone. She immediately decided that the place for her was right next to me. Which would be fine, but she has no problem whatsoever with waking me up at 3 am for attention by purring in my ear, swatting my nose, or kneading my head with her (trimmed but still serviceable) claws. I can't sleep for more than an hour without her deciding it's playtime.

Obviously I could simply banish her from the bedroom, at least until she's older and a little less needy. But is there any other way to get some peace? Any way to train her to sleep in the catbed, or adopt a more diurnal schedule? If I do have to keep her out of the bedroom, is there any way I can prevent her from being lonely (I rent and am only allowed ONE pet)? At what age would letting her back in be feasible?

acorte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Audrey is an affection addict, she loves to rub all over my face constantly. I've found if I give her extra personal attention (quite a bit of it) before bed it wears her out a bit. Now she curls up and sleeps for the most part. Of course she is around a year, so a little older.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS.

It would be a shame to lock her out of your room at night, as she is young and just wants to be near you. Try wearing her out at bedtime. Kittens have a lot of energy that needs to be burned up. Vigorous playtime should help her sleep through the night. Find a toy, my favorite is da-bird, or other similar wand teaser, and get her to the point of flopping on the floor panting. It may take a few flops before she is really worn out, but that should do the trick.

As for using a cat bed..I have tried many and failed at getting mine to use them at all. They make their beds where ever they feel like. But you could try putting a piece of your clothing that has been worn, like a tee shirt, on the bed. It may make her feel like she is sleeping with you.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe try wearing her out, get da bird and play an hour solid before bedtime?  Also make sure she has a full tummy.  Hungry cats will not let anyone sleep until they get what they demand.