A kitten fell down my chimney and I need advice!

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I cannot get over how adorable they are and with their little red collars!

Tato might just be smaller and gentler. I've fostered a litter of 4 kittens and 4 solo kitties, and each of them had slightly different temperaments despite being crazy kittens. Some were cuddlier and calmer, but had their moments, some were just off the walls nonstop unless they were sleeping, some didn't get it when their playmates (other kittens or me) got annoyed with them and some did. It takes time for them to learn, and lots of play time to tire them out. If you're really worried, can you bring Tato to a vet for a check up or has he already been? It might put your mind at ease that he's ok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I cannot get over how adorable they are and with their little red collars!

Tato might just be smaller and gentler. I've fostered a litter of 4 kittens and 4 solo kitties, and each of them had slightly different temperaments despite being crazy kittens. Some were cuddlier and calmer, but had their moments, some were just off the walls nonstop unless they were sleeping, some didn't get it when their playmates (other kittens or me) got annoyed with them and some did. It takes time for them to learn, and lots of play time to tire them out. If you're really worried, can you bring Tato to a vet for a check up or has he already been? It might put your mind at ease that he's ok.
He has an appointment soon to get his first set of shots and I plan on discussing it with them then! I definitely would like a professional to look at him and make sure that he looks okay. I'm already so in love with his sweet little personality, I can't stand the thought of him being sick or stunted!

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tato visited the vet today. They said that they definitely believe that something isn't "right" about him, but they aren't sure what yet. They said that he seems very weak and small for his age and want to delay his vaccinations until he is stronger. He is now on antibiotics and we will be getting additional tests done at his follow up appointment on Friday if his condition persists.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tato visited the vet today. They said that they definitely believe that something isn't "right" about him, but they aren't sure what yet. They said that he seems very weak and small for his age and want to delay his vaccinations until he is stronger. He is now on antibiotics and we will be getting additional tests done at his follow up appointment on Friday if his condition persists.
For me he sounds like he may have a weak heart. I hope he can anyways live a normal life of an calm home cat.

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For me he sounds like he may have a weak heart. I hope he can anyways live a normal life of an calm home cat.
I sure hope not! At both of his checks they listened to his heart and lungs and didn't seem alarmed, thankfully. He has definitely been fighting an infection though. They prescribed him antibiotics that seem to be doing the trick. He's still not as strong as his brother, but he has perked up and even tries to play and explore. His coughing and sneezing is dwindling as well.

Unfortunately, last night he started developing a puffy red eye, so at our vet visit this morning he was given a second antibiotic. One for the infection that he is fighting internally and one for his eye infection.

The vet did feel like he was making improvements though so she went ahead and gave him his first set of vaccinations. Hopefully it will be uphill from here.

VideoCapture_20231208-160643.jpg

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
20231210_122430.jpg
20231210_122655.jpg

Things are looking up for Tato! His eye is still a little watery at times but most of the time it's clear. He suddenly has tons of energy. When I let him play with his brother, he actually holds his own. He doesn't just get beat up. He still tires out faster, but he's getting stronger all the time. I think my attempt at Christmas pictures turned out hilarious. A gooey forever reminder of the sweet little kitten we've dubbed "Mr. Pink-Eye."

And Niko...he keeps us on our toes. This little cat is into EVERYTHING. We've had to baby proof our baby proofing. He's going to be the one to take down the Christmas tree, I just know it. He's very sweet and snuggly...when he's sleepy. The rest of the time he's climbing your pants, pulling your glasses off, burrowing down the back of your shirt, or attacking shoes and terrorizing the dogs. Heaven help us.

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had to take Tato's collar off. The only reason why I've been putting them on in the first place is for the bell. They're both so tiny and they get lost in our big house when they're playing...we put collars on them so they wouldn't get stepped on.

But I need a different solution for Tato. Everything about him is short. His legs, his tail, even his neck. The collar was so thick on his short neck that he couldn't put his chin down. He couldn't look down properly or even groom himself. I still need to figure out how to keep track of him when he's out playing...but that collar just seemed so uncomfortable.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What are using on Tato’s eye? Did you get Terramycin? It clears eyes very quickly.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad Tato is starting to seem better already! yay! I'm becoming a big fan of these two little babies and love your updates. They are just too adorable and their photos brighten my day!

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor Reese was in the hospital most of this week for an intestinal blockage. We still don't know what she ate, which is scary. She was thankfully able to finally start passing stool without surgical intervention and made it home yesterday. We thought that she'd like to have a nice, quiet space to herself to decompress but once her stomach calmed down, she had other ideas. She was insistent about rejoining the rest of the family.

Before she left for the hospital, the kittens wanted so badly to make friends with her and she just didn't know what to do with them. She's been here since she was only a couple of weeks old and as far as we know, she's never seen a kitten. Still, they've persisted, scooching closer and closer to her all the time hoping that she'll let them cuddle. This evening she finally relented. 😂
20231215_163020.jpg

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I asked the vet about Tato's legs she basically said that he might just end up being a "short cat." I'd be okay with this as long as he's healthy. His stumpy little legs absolutely kill me.

20231213_182321.jpg
20231216_175733.jpg

20231211_164246.jpg

His brother for comparison - much more normal looking 😂

20231213_185526.jpg

20231216_181631.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There are people whom pays tons of money to get a cat with short legs (munchkin feks). You got Tato for free, even if you got some vet costs.

The fact his suddenly got energhy and is now fully able to play and even wrestle, confirms it WAS some sort of infection inside.
As soon the infection got over, or at least got less, he got normal or almost normal energhy.

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are people whom pays tons of money to get a cat with short legs (munchkin feks). You got Tato for free, even if you got some vet costs.

The fact his suddenly got energhy and is now fully able to play and even wrestle, confirms it WAS some sort of infection inside.
As soon the infection got over, or at least got less, he got normal or almost normal energhy.
He's been running laps around our house! Just a happy little guy. He still can't jump or climb very well but he gets better all the time. We've been calling him a Wal-Mart Munchkin - You know, since he's an affordable knockoff made with cheaper materials. 😂

And to top it all off...I think he might be a little bit cross-eyed.
20231217_164801.jpg