A kitten fell down my chimney and I need advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the advice and support through this crazy series of events!

It turns out that he CAN hear...but I still don't think he can hear very well. As I said before, you can make loud noises directly into his ears and he doesn't show much or any recognition, especially on one side. (The side with the half white ear) He did look curiously at us when we were putting away loud, clinking dishes late last night, but since then there's been nothing. You can stomp around him, shout, whistle...nothing.

As I said a few days ago, Niko is terrified of the cutting machine in my office. I can run it all day long and this guy won't look up.

But this morning, I saw him playing all by himself and said, "Tato?" (Because my partner has lovingly begun calling him Fart Potato. I think it's awful.) He suddenly startled and looked at me. He seriously looked as surprised as me that he heard that. It is the VERY first time I've seen him respond in any way, shape, or form to a voice. So I started saying it over and over. "Tato, Tato, Tato you can hear me!" And he waddled over as fast as he could.

So there's something there for sure. And I guess his name is Tato.
🤷‍♀️

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat, Casper, sort of picked his own name, too.

One day, we were watching TV while Casper was playing on the living room floor, I said, "Hey, Puddy Tat!" He turned, meowed and ran over to me for pets and attention. His name is still, officially, Casper but his everyday nickname is "Puddy Tat." That's what he thinks his name is, now.

Practically the only time we call him "Casper" is when he's in trouble for something. ;)

You know the poem, "On the Naming of Cats," by T.S. Eliot. Don't you? ;) ;) ;)

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our cat, Casper, sort of picked his own name, too.

One day, we were watching TV while Casper was playing on the living room floor, I said, "Hey, Puddy Tat!" He turned, meowed and ran over to me for pets and attention. His name is still, officially, Casper but his everyday nickname is "Puddy Tat." That's what he thinks his name is, now.

Practically the only time we call him "Casper" is when he's in trouble for something. ;)

You know the poem, "On the Naming of Cats," by T.S. Eliot. Don't you? ;) ;) ;)
That poem is very accurate! Now we have Reese - Reese's Pieces Tiger Joyce Kunde. Niko - Saint Nikolas Flamel. And Tato - Fart Potato. :lol:

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The amount of people who advise you without provocation to see a vet and vaccinate! (Not here) Even if I tell people that I got his brother vaccinated and vet checked, I'm STILL getting internet strangers saying "Make sure you don't forget to take THAT one to the vet too. They both need proper attention." I swear, I'm going to give them the best attention I can. I might not have all the answers, but I know that vets are important.
😅

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Reese's story is another heartbreaking/heartwarming one. Tato certainly has figured out that he fell down the right chimney.
Thank you!! Here are some updated pictures of Reese. She has my whole heart. She turned into such a lovely cat. And she's been taking this kitten thing so well.
20221225_142950.jpg
20230310_205242(1).jpg

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
j3rxzl2apk3c1.jpg

More Tato spam! I can't get any good pictures of Niko. He never stops moving. He literally climbs our walls.

57hh7iaapk3c1.jpg
qwh4vo0epk3c1.jpg

My partner said that he looked like he was being crucified here

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That croocked end of tail isnt according to the manual, but fairly common. A so called knick.
If he were a breeding cat it would probably disqualify him, unless proven by a vet it was from a pure accident; but in a pet cat it doesnt have any bearing.

Tato is a nice name... In polish the word tato means, daddy, ie very soft about a father.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is such a heartwarming story! Niko and Tato have definitely come to the right place, and so good to know that Reece is taking it all in her stride. I love the idea of the Cat Distribution System!

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh I love the story of Tato's name. this is just warming my heart so much. thank you for sharing the story and adorable photos. Tato is just so adorable!! If the kink isn't causing him trouble, I wouldn't worry. just makes him extra special :loveeyes: :)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats have kinky tails when they are born. My guess is that it's probably because of the way they were laying when they were developing in the womb.

It might grow out. It might not. Even if it doesn't, there usually isn't any harm. He just can't be a show cat. That's all. ;)

In my opinion, that's what gives a cat its personality. :)

Besides, it's an identifying feature. If he ever gets lost, it's a good way to tell that he's your cat.

Whenever we get a new pet, we like to take a picture, print it out, take it along the first time we go to the vet and have them put it in the animal's file. If ever the cat shows up at the vet, they have positive visual ID.

With a kinky tail, like that, you'll know he's your cat from a mile away! :D

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hearing all of you going on about Reese I will be digging up that story and I think we need a thread for "Crazy places/ways I found my stray cat". Good luck to both your adorable little ones!!

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is amazing that it is the same little bedraggled kitten from the article!
I know!! Isn't it incredible? She is amazing! Her relationship with each kitten is so different...and definitely based on each one's personality. Tato is very, very gentle and sweet. He's a chubby little mush that only wants to be picked up and loved on. He will cry so loudly if he isn't getting enough cuddles! Reese is totally fascinated by him and they're developing quite a little friendship. She still won't let him touch her, (she gently pushes him away if he tries) but they sit together all the time and even play games.

And then there's Nikolas...who she has been extremely patient with, but he is feisty and pushes his boundaries. He is constantly puffing up and hissing at her, trying to be possessive over HER things. Her cat tree, her toys, her food...and she just would not stand up for herself at all. I was starting to really worry about it. She was being bossed around by a tiny 1 lb kitten. And then he decided to hiss at her when she tried to climb into my lap..and she drew back and walloped him right upside his head. I heard her paw impact with his noggin. :lol: He's been a lot more mellow about bossing her around ever since...but they still aren't really friends. She tolerates him, but that's it.

20231203_104313.jpg

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have some concerns about Tato's development but I'm not sure if they're just me overreacting. He is so different from his brother. So different. Niko never stops moving. Running, playing, pouncing, climbing...Tato plays, but he's slow and quiet. He doesn't zoomie full speed through the house like his brother. He doesn't really keep up with him at all. He doesn't climb. Niko actually bullies him quite a bit and bites him hard and won't stop when when he is crying at the top of his lungs. He just doesn't seem to be strong enough to hold his own against his brother.

He also falls asleep VERY quickly. Like he could be happily playing, but the second you pick him up, his head flops and he is dead asleep in your hand. He is a very floppy cat. We've joked that he is boneless...and that he has Narcolepsy.

He doesn't have any "give" at all. He just ragdolls when you hold him like a little beanie baby. Sometimes he flops over on his back and his little head dangles so that you have to support it...but he's happy and purring. He's just so floppy.

20231204_204624.jpg

There was a bit of a size difference when we found Tato a week after Nikolas. But it seems to be getting bigger. Niko is growing so fast but Tato is growing at a much slower rate. His little legs seem extra short. Niko has long legs and he looks so much bigger and older!

20231204_151017.jpg

20231204_151027.jpg

20231203_202530.jpg

My concern is that he isn't catching up properly and that Niko will continue to get bigger and bully him even more. They play together so nicely sometimes. But other times big kitten overpowers little kitten and just relentlessly makes him cry.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hiss at big kitten when he picks on the baby. Break it up. It’s like a 3 or 4 year old child picking on a 1 or 2 year old — entirely inappropriate.

Your bigger kitten needs a playmate his own size and temperament. The little kitten has different genes and body type and personality. Nothing wrong with that, but does not need to be bullied and crying!

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hiss at big kitten when he picks on the baby. Break it up. It’s like a 3 or 4 year old child picking on a 1 or 2 year old — entirely inappropriate.

Your bigger kitten needs a playmate his own size and temperament. The little kitten has different genes and body type and personality. Nothing wrong with that, but does not need to be bullied and crying!
I've been playing referee for the last few days because of it. Pulling him away when his brother gets too rough with him. I've been told elsewhere that the rough play is how they learn manners, but it doesn't look like he's learning anything to me! Unfortunately, I can't get him another playmate unless I sent him to live with someone who had another kitten that matched his energy. I was hoping that our Reese would teach him some manners, but she's still in the "don't touch me" phase.