A horrible cat.

kitty2cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have four cats. All neutered males.
They are all from the same feral mother.
Three are from the same litter and were taken from their mom at about 8 weeks.

The last one was taken from his mom too early (5-6 weeks) because she got sick and died. We found homes for all the cats in his litter, even for him. However, while the other kitties fit happily in their new home, he got returned to us after three days because he would not stop cuddling with the owners, their dog and cat, and their 2 year old baby. He was constantly underfoot and didn't seem to respond to the other animals' warnings.

The first three (3 years old) are angels. They are sweet, eat during meal times, like to be petted, like to play with each other, like to clean each other/themselves, don't howl, don't scratch or bite.

The last one (2 1/2 years old) is horrible. He howls, whines, will not leave us alone (he even gets in the shower with us), nips us if we aren't petting him (we don't encourage this. he does not get petted when he bites, but he does manage to wake us up if we are asleep which is just as bad and also something he wants), he is mean to the other cats who are generally nice to him, he doesn't clean himself except by taking showers (he howls under the shower head for hours if he wants to take a bath/shower and no one turns on the water), he bites us all night because we aren't petting him (does he ever sleep? no), and worst of all he bites and scratches HARD for no reason, just out of the blue (he also playfights with accidental bites/scratches, but what I am talking about here is a calm, cool, vicious, brutal attack).

The problem is he doesn't seem to respond to behavior modification. The only thing we have got to work is blowing in his face when he bites/scratches but that only worked for about a month before he got used to it and started to purr whenever we did it.

When he bites/attacks (it hurts), we hold him down gently but firmly so he can't move. We have done this since he was a kitten. This makes him purr. It has always made him purr. He thinks it's a quiet, firm hug. He loves it. We tried holding him down longer (up to 10 minutes), he still likes it. We tried hissing when he was mean for about 3 months. No effect. He would just roll over to be petted. We tried the "pick the cat up and put it in the other room and walk away without talking to it" method, but he just ran back ahead of us, purring. He doesn't really mind being locked in rooms except at night because he likes to sleep with us. So time out doesn't really work except at like 2 am. Spray bottles don't work because he loves to be wet. The can of pennies is one thing we haven't tried because one of the three older cats is "off" a little. He is sweet but the vet thinks he is retarded. Among his many quirks is that loud noises make him wet himself. So no pennies.

Help me! Please. I love him, and knew that there would be behavior issues when we took him after his mom died, but I would like to at least get the biting/scratching to stop. Just so you don't think he is a complete horror, here are some nice things about him. He always purrs when you look at him. He is healthy. He likes to roll around and stretch out to be petted. He is very smart and can open all the cupboards/drawers/tupperwear containers/etc. He growls (sounds like a dog) when noisy people pass by our front door but is nice to guests. He does not ever scratch children even if they pull his tail, try to pick him up, play rough around him. (we obviously try to keep our young guests in line, but sometimes a two year old executes an unexpected tail grab). He is super friendly. We don't have dogs, but he likes the ones he meets. He likes meeting new people. He is pretty affectionate. He's a good cat with a horrible streak.

Please help!

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have any real advice, except that a lot of this sounds like kitten behavior. Especially "taken from mom too soon kitten behavior". Hopefully a more knowledgeable person will come along to help...

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he missed out on some critical training he needed from mom. He's sort of like a person who was raised by wolves and he may honestly not know better. It's funny that the other cats haven't disciplined him. Does he bite and scratch them hard? Usually the other cats will sort them out when they're this way so he may have a mental issue himself.

My youngest cat was also taken from his mother too early. I've no idea about what happened. I found him when he was tiny. He's very, very needy and I suspect that has something to do with it. He decided I was mom and since I never "weaned" him he still acts like a baby though at 4 he's less needy than he used to be.

Were this my cat, I would try communicating cat-style! By this I mean when he bites or scratches hard do like his mother would do. She would wack him in the head with her paw. Put two fingers together and tap him on the top of his head, obviously, use restraint and don't do it to hurt him but if he understands cat language he'll know that's a sign that he's crossed the line.

If holding him down makes him purr don't do it. He sees that as a reward and it's only encouraging the unwanted behavior. Removing him to another room may take too long for him to realize that his behavior resulted in being shut up. He may just think he's getting your attention which again is a reward to him.

My oldest cat was a hard biter. The only thing that got him to stop was biting him back. It was like a light bulb went off. If you try it just watch your face that you don't get bitten or scratched there!

Can you describe what happens when he attacks? Is it people, animals or both that he targets?

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your last paragraph is totally at odds with the rest of your post.

It sounds like normal cat to me. Can't you keep him out of your room at night? Does he just run up and attack you for no reason? You probably should not have let him in the beginning to get in the shower with you.

I don't think he sounds "horrible". He sounds like a very nice, attention seeking cat. His bad manners could stem from the early separation from mom. I think if you see him as horrible, that is a disservice to him.

I have never used feliway plug ins, but that might be something to try. It sounds to me like he truly loves his family, but does not know his boundries. That will take time. Cats are sometimes a work in progress.

Please don't give up on him....

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately, he sounds like a kitten that was taken from mom too young. He had no mother to teach him right vs. wrong - so he missed out on a vital opportunity other kittens get.

One thing that may work is watching him closely to see if he has any "triggers" - any signs before he is going to bite/scratch. Oftentimes with kitties when they are taken too young from mom, if they get overstimulated they exhibit behavior like you describe.

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, it sounds like you've tried all the usual methods to change him, and at his age, he's not a kitten anymore. Have you tried a professional cat behaviorist? I think you should get online and have a consultation, even by phone, to see if someone who has seen it all can help you.

The spontaneous aggression is what bothers me. A lot of his other behavior just sounds rambunctious and needy, which is probably his personality. But you need to feel safe from him. And so do your other cats. He is about at the age where he is going to start asserting himself and trying to be top cat. This may be what's going on with him, if the aggression is fairly recent — but if he's not at that stage of maturity yet, you will REALLY be in trouble when he hits it.

I think if someone can help you figure out how to stop the aggression you'd both be happier and maybe you could tolerate the other stuff. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitty2cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your help. No, he isn't a horrible cat, but I posted right after he had bit a chunk out of my finger and dug his claws into my leg. I would never give up on him. I feel so maternal towards him and he is usually nice--we don't shun him and usually he is a happy part of the family. It's just 3-5 times a day for all of 30 seconds he is a hurtful horror.

This is all good advice. The other cats do discipline him a little. But he is pretty strong/big so that he eventually gets the upper hand. However, and this is cute, they gang up on him and pin him down while one forcibly licks him clean when he gets poop stuck to his tail or is just getting kind of gross from dried food or something. This I appreciate and do not envy. For some reason giving him a bath with soap scares him so much he poops (vet also said this was nothing to worry about). It's been like this since he we found him. So we try to just do spot checks.

I am going to start "tapping him on the head gently." I've seen them do it to each other, so I think it will work. I will also look for triggers. The shower, I don't know. We used to keep him out but he destroyed the carpet in front of two bathrooms trying to "dig his way in". I'll try it again now that we have hardwood, but I honestly would rather he be half-cleaned than just occasionally clean when the other cats have had enough of his stench.

Thanks so much! I think looking at the other cats for guidance, finding his triggers, and patting him might be the right track.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat similar to yours... but he bites like it is a game, to him it is good fun and he does not get it that he hurts. Setting him down and ignoring him doesn't work (he doesn't care we already "played" meaning he bit me, lol), blowing in his face just makes him swat at me, Feliway didn't do anything, ect. He never breaks the skin but it still hurts. I bottle raised him, I think his mom was a feral and she must have died or something because he was 3-4 weeks old when I found him. I left him there for a few hours and she never came back. I even fed him and put him back several times, she never came. So it deff sounds like a "taken away from mommy to early" thing. They just didn't get those "how to act like a kitty" lessons from mommy.

He just does not understand that it hurts me, that is not his intentions (you can see the look on his face, it is a game). The best thing that works for me, is yowling like a cat does when it gets hurt. This only works sometimes with Poodle but it's worth the try. Other than that I just live with it, and I am always aware that if I pick him up or pet him that I will probably get bit. Just do not loose your temper with him, he does not mean it. He can't help that he didn't get to stay with his momma longer. Hitting him will only make the problem worse, never do that. When he bites just sit him down and walk away and ignore him for 5-10 mins.

I hope your kitty grows out of it. I thought Poodle was just being a kitten because kittens do this... but he is over 1yr now and hasn't cooled down any, lol. I still love him to death, we have a special bond even though he is so rough.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a sticky post at the top of this sub forum on biting cats. There may be some useful info there. I rescued a 3 year old cat who bit me - not in play but out of fear and stress. It took months of retraining and I was lucky that his need to be petted and loved on was stronger than his need to bite.

I did do the puff of air thing in his face or hissed at him, told him NO firmly and withdrew. He'd come around for more attention and if he did it again, he got air/hiss, no and I would leave the room.

I would also give him a tap on the head - like another cat would do along with the hissing -- like hiss- swat- no. I am not talking a smack, I am talking first two fingers tap... cats do this to each other and I felt I needed to talk to him in cat language.

He is the biggest lover-bug - still trying to rehome him b/c he is afraid of the other kitties and doesn't know how to read their overtures. I think he was also a "taken too soon" cat and was likely and "only" in his previous situation.

autumnblueangel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I second the tapping on the head for bad behaviors.

In regards to the shower? Your cat obviously likes running water. Maybe give him a nice wide low to the ground bucket full of water in your bathroom, or buy a kitty water fountain to keep him entertained and clean?

My cats will groom themselves normally, but I think it's the cutest, funniest thing, that every single one of them, will clean their paws in their drinking water given the chance, sometimes they'll even hold their paws in it whilst they drink.

Cats like to groom themselves, yes, but they have taste buds too, and maybe he just doesn't like the taste of himself? lol....it's not beneath a cat to want to clean themselves with water just like us. Dogs and other animals love water too.

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree that ideally you should consult with a professional cat behaviorist.

Have you tried putting bitter apple spray on your skin?

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You might try putting a set of Soft Paws (or other claw caps) on him so that his claws won't do any harm until you can teach him better behavior.

The two fingers on the top of the head thing that AddieBee suggested is a good idea--I used that on a cat with a biting habit once, not hard biting but other humans got mad at him for it so I trained him out of it so he could get along, and it worked really well; I said "no bites" at the same time and it got to where if I saw him about to bite, I could say "no bites" and he'd stop. I didn't realize that was something in cat language, though--I thought it just annoyed them.

Do you have a water bill or are you in a rental situation where water is covered (or averaged out among many units)? If it wouldn't affect you financially, I would just leave the shower or something on for him for now. You can't expect him to change all his behaviors at once and I think you'd rather focus on the biting and clawing instead of the hygeine habit that's nutty for his species but harmless.

I wonder...if you could borrow a mom cat that just finished raising her litter from someone, maybe she would recognize his behavior as kitten behavior and straighten him out a bit. It really does sound like overgrown kitten stuff, even the biting--I could imagine that being cute if he were handheld-size and didn't have the jaw strength to back it up.