A good flashlight for seeing my cat

ap4lmtree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I used my smartphone's flashlight tonight, and my cat hissed at me. She hasn't hissed at me anytime in the last month while using it. Is there a better color than bright white flashlight that I could use around my cat? Maybe a different color would be softer for my cat and she wouldn't mind as much?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ap4lmtree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought a UV Flashlight to see any pee in my home. Maybe I should use that instead for now on.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is the purpose of the flashlight? If you just want to avoid stepping on your cat in the dark, use nighlights around your home or just turn the lights on.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you are really shining the light right at him, it is sort of weird that your cat is hissing because of this. If it is not right in his eyes, I think it is a dislike specific to your cat so we wouldn't likely be able to help without speculating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ap4lmtree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Yes, sorry, I didn't explain it more. My cat that I adopted 40 days ago is still not tame. She still hides under a chair recliner, so I was using a flashlight sometimes to see her under the dark chair recliner. My cat isn't tame, so she is not out and about in the house where a flashlight isn't so necessary to see her.

Yeah, i guess i was shinning it too bright to her or i am not sure. I will try to modify that.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Maybe a different color would be softer for my cat and she wouldn't mind as much?
There's two things you can do. One is using a regular torch, shine it up the ceiling or reflect the light from another surface when you are looking for him. By reflecting the lights of the surfaces diffuses the the light and it won't be blinding to the cat.

I do this when I look for my boy in the dark. I have a very bright torch, so I point it up to the ceiling and it illuminate the room with a very soft light and that won't hurt my boy's eyes and I don't turn on the lights to see him when he's in one of the rooms or under the bed.

The other thing is place a red filter or a red cellophane sheet over the torch. This will dim the glare from the torch. This is how soldiers read their maps in the dark.

Whichever way it is, do not shine the torch directly in to the cat's eyes. Their eyes will reflect in very dim lights and you can see them.
I bought a UV Flashlight to see any pee in my home. Maybe I should use that instead for now on.
UV light is dangerous to the eyes. Do not look directly into it nor shine into your cat's eyes. That is why you have to put on yellow tinted glasses or goggles when working with UV lights.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Yes, sorry, I didn't explain it more. My cat that I adopted 40 days ago is still not tame. She still hides under a chair recliner, so I was using a flashlight sometimes to see her under the dark chair recliner. My cat isn't tame, so she is not out and about in the house where a flashlight isn't so necessary to see her.

Yeah, i guess i was shinning it too bright to her or i am not sure. I will try to modify that.
Thanks for clarifying. :)

About your cat, did you adopt her from a shelter? Or was she a stray/feral you rescued? Either way, it's not uncommon for a cat to hide, even that long. We have a Caring for Strays and Ferals forum if you want to post a new thread asking for advice/tips on socializing her.